• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Town Car EATC Self test

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The 1992 Town Car has an Automatic Temperature Control HVAC system which does not allow for a self test feature. The 1993 and later models introduced an Electronic Automatic Temperature Control HVAC system. Each post in this thread will cover either a single model or a series of models depending whether the info is the same or not.

The purpose of an EATC self test is to allow the car owner to start and end the test without any tools or dealer help and the EATC will identify any diagnostic trouble codes found in the EATC module. The codes are cross referenced to descriptions that allow the car owner to check and replace some components in the HVAC system.

I hope this is helpful.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Town Car 1993 model EATC self test

The 1993 model EATC functional description and self test are attached. The test is initiated by pressing the EATC buttons for OFF and FLOOR at the same time and within 2 seconds pressing the AUTO button. This can take a few tries to get the timing right.

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Town Car 2003 and up Self Test

The 2003 and up models use dual temperature blend doors, one for the driver and rear seat vent for rear passengers, the second for the front passenger. The temperature can be set individually, but there is only one cabin temperature sensor on the drivers side, so the front passenger's temperature is an offset of the driver's setting. There are two electronically controlled actuators for the floor and defrost doors and also an electronic actuator for the recirc door to govern fresh or recirculated cabin air. So the 5 actuators figure in the dual EATC (DEATC) error codes that may be shown in the self test.

As well as a DEATC self test there is a way of resetting the DEATC and all the actuators in the event of a problem, this is the "cold boot process. Both procedures are attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

boundlr

Kent, Wa
Great Post, I had looked for this type info at the dealer but they say they don't have it. Thanks very much. However, I need info on the Test Points that are referenced in the FLM's and details on the Blend door actuactors, their locations and replacement procedures. Is this info available anywhere?

Thanks again

lloyd

boundlr

Kent, Wa
Forgot to ask about my codes and their formats. My self test displayed the following.

12 42 22 66 22 67 and then repeated. What do these tell me.

Thx

Lloyd

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Forgot to ask about my codes and their formats. My self test displayed the following.

12 42 22 66 22 67 and then repeated. What do these tell me.

Thx

Lloyd
Sorry, I just saw your posts. The DTC are 4 digit codes: 1242 is a recirc door failure (up behind the glove box), 2266 is the driver side blend door failure (there is a thread dealing with this replacement in this forum), 2267 is the passenger side blend door actuator failure (Replacement procedure given in the same thread as the driver side actuator).

cddeluca

You Magnificent Bastard!
I am eternally in your debt. Thank you, SIR!

ein08101

1999 Lincoln TC Sig Ser EATC Code 2416

Dear Town

I need your help.

1999 Lincoln TC Sig Ser EATC Code 2416
Disc says recirc door short recirc door failure

Air temperature changes from cold to hot and hot to cold using the EATC Temp control.

Floor Tab on EATC: Air, either cold or hot, will route to floor only when pressing Floor Tab.

Defrost Front Tab on EATC: Air, either cold or hot, will route to Defrost only with pressing Defrost Front Tab on EATC.

Floor/Defrost Tab on EATC: Air, either cold or hot, will route to floor and defrost when Floor/Defrost Tab selected on EATC.

PROBLEM:

Panel Vent tab on EATC: Air, either cold or hot, will Not route through panel vent when pressing Panel Vent tab instead air, either cold or hot, routes through the front dash defrost when selecting Panel Vent tab on EATC.

Panel Vent /Floor tab on EATC: Air, either cold or hot, will route to front dash defrost and floor when selecting Panel Vent /Floor tab on EATC.

Problem exists no matter if in idle or in drive

Ran EATC self test: Displays code 24 followed by 16. And repeats. Looked up EATC Code 2416
Disc says recirc door short recirc door failure. Action to take says go to DTC B2416.

Are recirc door and recirc door actuator synonymous?

Are the blend door vs blend door actuator two separate individual distinct parts on this 1999 Linc TC?

If possible, please direct me to where I can find the steps and the name of the parts needed in order to correct this problem EATC Code 2416 (recirc door short and recirc door failure).

Many thanks

Ein

ein08101

Town

Found the correct thread. Thread: Town Car HVAC recirc door actuator replacement

1998 LTC recirc door actuator replacement.pdf

Sorry for the harassment

Thanks for all the info.

Ein

wimpy

Charlotte, NC
There are two electronically controlled actuators for the floor and defrost doors and also an electronic actuator for the recirc door to govern fresh or recirculated cabin air. So the 5 actuators figure in the dual EATC (DEATC) error codes that may be shown in the self test.
The EATC Self Test yields the DTCode Which directs us to Pinpoint Test ?? dependent upon the Self-Test Faults. How can we determine what the individual pinpoint test involves and where is the panel/Defrost door
? In my case DTC 1263 yields this: Panel/defrost door short/failure

This tech section is incredibly helpful. Thank you, Town!

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Klincoln

Columbus Ohio
2007 Lincoln TC Signature. Silver Birch Mettallic.

Can't get the damm thing to do any self test. Things on EATC that (do) work are as follows: speed,temperature,off-on,recirc,in/out temp,f/c,auto,digital display.... only thing that doesn't work is the changing of where air comes out. Is currently coming out of (only) floor outlets.heat and cold (do) work. Really hoping it's not a (pull the dash) job.....

HTML