Tow rating

Duncan G

Does Lincoln publish the Gross Combined Weight Rating for the Aviator 2020. I can find GVWR but not GCWR. Cannot find in Owner manual nor in Lincoln Tow guide.

eylarson

TOWING

Lincoln Aviator - GasLincoln Aviator - Grand Touring Hybrid
Maximum towing capacity*6,700 lbs.5,600 lbs.
*When properly equipped.

Duncan G

Thanks for the replies. However I still seek the GCWR number. Gross Combined Weight is actual vehicle plus passengers and payload, plus trailer weight loaded. This is the actual Combined weight. This number has to be below the Gross Combined Weight Rating. However dealer does not know, nor is it listed for the Aviator in the Lincoln Tow Guide (but the tow guide does list it for the Navigator). Door sticker only shows GVWR - Gross vehicle weight rating - i.e. max for passengers and payload. Some suggest just adding GVWR of the vehicle as listed on the sticker plus GVWR of the trailer - but this does not work as Gross Combined Weight Rating supposedly also takes account of engine and transmission capacity. The manual says to ask the dealer - but the dealer does not know.

Example: The 4x2 Navigator L has a GVWR of 7350 lbs and towing capacity of 6200 lbs - a total of 13,550 lbs. But the Gross Combined Weight Rating for the Navigator is only 12,500 lbs. Which could be good to know if really heavily loaded for some reason. Hence why I seek the GCWR for the Aviator.

Help very much appreciated!

4742 gross vehicle weight
1303 passenger + cargo
6700 tow rating
12745 total

Is this an accurate figure to use?
I’m curious myself as I would like tow a camper or boat down the road.

Last edited:

Duncan G

Here is a response I got from our dealer - which I think gives the answer:

"There is only one transmission for the 2020 Aviator Reserve which is a 10 speed automatic transmission and with the Class IV trailer towing package the axle ratio is 3.58. There are different transmissions, engines and axle ratios when it comes to truck and it makes a difference to the GCWR then.

Gross vehicle weight for your Aviator is 6,536. plus the trailer, which cannot be more than 6,700 lbs."

So that tells me the Aviator GCWR is 6536 + 6700 = 13236. There is no reduction for different axle ratios etc as there is for Navigator and trucks.

Max payload for Aviator when towing trailer would be GVWR of 6536 less curb weight of 4892 gives max payload of 1644. If hitch weight is 500lb that gives passengers and cargo when towing of 1144. So if towing a trailer of maximum 6700 lb loaded with a 500 lb hitch I could put 1144lbs of cargo in the Aviator. Seems plenty...

rubyinla

iirc, everything aft of the rear wheels is part of the tongue weight. That includes the weight of the hitch and WDH (weight distribution hitch).
If I bought another WDH I'd get an Andersen No-Sway' Weight Distribution. Big difference in weight when u'r installing it. The traditional hitch is 60 pounds plus anther 40 pounds for the sway bars.

Sorry, I can't download my spreadsheet, but maybe this will help. I did a bunch of senerios when I was looking for a trailer for our Ford Flex.

The following I worked up for a forum member:

2020-06-28  Navigator weights.png

Last edited: