Total Failure of Corsair Ignition and Drivetrain - No Warnings

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

John17056

Greetings all. First post on this site, but a car guy that's been participating in car and motorcycle forums since 2002. I've searched this and other Lincoln forums as well as Goggle for information related to my experience with our 3 month old Corsair with 1665 miles on it and have found nothing.

Last week I wanted to move it out of the garage to give me room to work on my other car. Upon opening the door, I was NOT greeted with the chimes, nor the infotainment system screen show, nor the dash display. I was greeted with silence and total blackness. OK I thought, let's see what the start button does when pressed. NOTHING but rapid green flashing. Got the other key fob, same thing. Placed the fob in the holder in the armrest, nothing. I could hear the relay clicking with each press of the start button, but no electrons were flowing where they were supposed to go. Kept poking the start button, and was able to get it to randomly start, but no dash or infotainment functions at all. The amber light in the "P" Park key was on, but as soon as the "R" reverse key was pressed, the engine died. Battery was fully charged and held charge when lights were kept on. Also noted that none of the windows or tailgate were working. As the infotainment screen was dead, there was no indication of what the malfunction may be.

Called Lincoln roadside assistance and got it on a flatbed to take it to the dealer. That in and of itself was a real clown show as we didn't know how to get in Neutral. I've since found the information in the Owners Manual, but have real concerns that it would have worked as there was no power to the transmission. Tow driver even attached his power pack to try and jump it, nothing. At the dealer the service manager himself noted the non functioning conditions and asked around for what to do to get it off the tow truck. A tech suggested to disconnect the battery for a moment, and reconnect. Like magic, everything was back to normal, and over a 3 day period the service department was not able to replicate the problem. They contacted Lincoln Engineering, and after further evaluation/testing, were advised to replace the body control module (seems to be the answer to every electrical issue as far as I can see). Will be picking it up tomorrow, and I'm insisting that all the discussion between the service department and Lincoln Engineering be included in the paperwork/materials returned to me.

I'm going to monitor and document this for the remainder of the lease, and initiate a buy back if it continues to happen. Also going to keep a small wrench in the glove box in case we're stranded and I have to initiate the "battery disconnect to bring it back to life" maneuver. Not mad or upset about this, just surprised that Body Control Module replacement appears to be the answer to just about every electrical issue on this forum for the Corsair. My previous Lincoln was a 1988 MK VII LSC, that led to a 1997 Mustang GT, that led to a 2006 Mustang GT.

Macsterguy

Texas
Greetings all. First post on this site, but a car guy that's been participating in car and motorcycle forums since 2002. I've searched this and other Lincoln forums as well as Goggle for information related to my experience with our 3 month old Corsair with 1665 miles on it and have found nothing.

Last week I wanted to move it out of the garage to give me room to work on my other car. Upon opening the door, I was NOT greeted with the chimes, nor the infotainment system screen show, nor the dash display. I was greeted with silence and total blackness. OK I thought, let's see what the start button does when pressed. NOTHING but rapid green flashing. Got the other key fob, same thing. Placed the fob in the holder in the armrest, nothing. I could hear the relay clicking with each press of the start button, but no electrons were flowing where they were supposed to go. Kept poking the start button, and was able to get it to randomly start, but no dash or infotainment functions at all. The amber light in the "P" Park key was on, but as soon as the "R" reverse key was pressed, the engine died. Battery was fully charged and held charge when lights were kept on. Also noted that none of the windows or tailgate were working. As the infotainment screen was dead, there was no indication of what the malfunction may be.

Called Lincoln roadside assistance and got it on a flatbed to take it to the dealer. That in and of itself was a real clown show as we didn't know how to get in Neutral. I've since found the information in the Owners Manual, but have real concerns that it would have worked as there was no power to the transmission. Tow driver even attached his power pack to try and jump it, nothing. At the dealer the service manager himself noted the non functioning conditions and asked around for what to do to get it off the tow truck. A tech suggested to disconnect the battery for a moment, and reconnect. Like magic, everything was back to normal, and over a 3 day period the service department was not able to replicate the problem. They contacted Lincoln Engineering, and after further evaluation/testing, were advised to replace the body control module (seems to be the answer to every electrical issue as far as I can see). Will be picking it up tomorrow, and I'm insisting that all the discussion between the service department and Lincoln Engineering be included in the paperwork/materials returned to me.

I'm going to monitor and document this for the remainder of the lease, and initiate a buy back if it continues to happen. Also going to keep a small wrench in the glove box in case we're stranded and I have to initiate the "battery disconnect to bring it back to life" maneuver. Not mad or upset about this, just surprised that Body Control Module replacement appears to be the answer to just about every electrical issue on this forum for the Corsair. My previous Lincoln was a 1988 MK VII LSC, that led to a 1997 Mustang GT, that led to a 2006 Mustang GT.
Now, let’s imagine what these cars will be doing A few years down the road…

HotrodLinkin

All symptoms of a loose battery connection, cable wasn't seated completely. Over time worked itself loose from the post. Tighten the hell out of it after confirming it's deep on the post.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
I am very happy I leased this car. 2 years worth of payments left after my next one. I'm not counting down or anything.

John17056

All symptoms of a loose battery connection, cable wasn't seated completely. Over time worked itself loose from the post. Tighten the hell out of it after confirming it's deep on the post.
Not loose connections. Battery cables were both tight and verified when I checked voltage and load conditions of battery, verified again by tow truck driver when he tried to jump it, and verified a third time at dealership when it was disconnected. Loose connection would have resulted in no or intermittent electrical power and as I indicated I had continuous electrical power to the lights and door locks.

Corsart

Do you like the car otherwise?

It understandably shakes one's confidence in the car when things like this happen, but the down side of making cars basically computers with wheels is that there are bound to be electrical gremlins. This never sounded like a voltage problem, but rather a computer one, and like the PC at home, it needed a restart. Which is accomplished by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it.

If you like the car, I'd recommend you continue to do so and not assume this is or will be an ongoing part of the experience. If it happens again, then they should do a deeper dive. But right now, it seems like an easy fix and you're rightly annoyed that it occurred and you didn't know ho to to fix it.

John17056

@Corsart - We both absolutely love the car. We leased it immediately after our mint condition 2011 Infiniti FX35 with 144000 miles on it was suddenly totaled. I've had the Corsair mentally picked as an eventual successor to the Infiniti since it came out. Didn't even look at anything else, even though I have access to killer pricing on BMW's (I drive a 2017 M240i that I enjoy taking to the track several times a year). With both of us now retired, it's a perfect fit for us. The engineering, features, and price are what sets it apart from other CUV's in this class. I'm considering this a one off event, and recognize that this is a moving computer more dependent upon the proper flow of electrons, and less dependent on air, fuel and a spark to get things moving as in the old days. I grew up doing plugs, points, and condenser tune-ups, and still have my trusty timing light!

Picked it up today and reviewed the notes on the invoice, which were very thorough. I'll summarize here, and remember, this was after the battery disconnect and reconnect.

Labor 2.7 hours tested, verified concern. Intermittently no crank, no start, no power windows, no power lift gate, no climate controls or touchscreen controls. Ran Oasis, no applicable Oasis messages. Performed network test with with concern present, BCM not responding to scan tool. Performed test on BCM connectors C2280A and C2431 (they all passed). Contacted hotline (Lincoln Engineering I mentioned), requested that pin tests be performed on BCM power, ground and communication circuits. All found OK, no loose or pushed out pins found. Confirmed internal BCM failure. BCM replaced and configured. Concern no longer present.

Closing the chapter on this issue, looking forward to enjoying it for the remaining 33 months of the lease. As this was the first time we've leased any vehicle, we're not sure if we'll purchase it.

Corsart

@Corsart - We both absolutely love the car. We leased it immediately after our mint condition 2011 Infiniti FX35 with 144000 miles on it was suddenly totaled. I've had the Corsair mentally picked as an eventual successor to the Infiniti since it came out. Didn't even look at anything else, even though I have access to killer pricing on BMW's (I drive a 2017 M240i that I enjoy taking to the track several times a year). With both of us now retired, it's a perfect fit for us. The engineering, features, and price are what sets it apart from other CUV's in this class. I'm considering this a one off event, and recognize that this is a moving computer more dependent upon the proper flow of electrons, and less dependent on air, fuel and a spark to get things moving as in the old days. I grew up doing plugs, points, and condenser tune-ups, and still have my trusty timing light!

Picked it up today and reviewed the notes on the invoice, which were very thorough. I'll summarize here, and remember, this was after the battery disconnect and reconnect.

Labor 2.7 hours tested, verified concern. Intermittently no crank, no start, no power windows, no power lift gate, no climate controls or touchscreen controls. Ran Oasis, no applicable Oasis messages. Performed network test with with concern present, BCM not responding to scan tool. Performed test on BCM connectors C2280A and C2431 (they all passed). Contacted hotline (Lincoln Engineering I mentioned), requested that pin tests be performed on BCM power, ground and communication circuits. All found OK, no loose or pushed out pins found. Confirmed internal BCM failure. BCM replaced and configured. Concern no longer present.

Closing the chapter on this issue, looking forward to enjoying it for the remaining 33 months of the lease. As this was the first time we've leased any vehicle, we're not sure if we'll purchase it.
John, I feel your pain. There's a lot of Schadenfreude around here by those who just don't like the car and use every opportunity to reinforce same in themselves and others. Like you, I love the car, and for similar reasons. And because of that I tend to be more forgiving and tolerant. Your dealer sounds like they took the time to go thru the car and thoroughly investigate the matter, and if I was in a similar situation, I would be reassured this is behind me.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
No Schadenfreude on my part. I get no pleasure from my own pain. I own the car and have had 9 visits to the service department since February 2020. This car has quality issues. I have actually been lucky as my issues have been rattles, tail lights, back up camera, and the a slipping transmission. I see others on her having much worse issue than I do. However every time I think I am all set a new issue shows up.

craigscorsair

John and other Corsair owners

I had the exact event happen to me, I have told by the dealer that there is a TSB issued for the replacement of a transmission cable ( power / data cable) . It appears that this is the cause of the failure somewhere between the ignition, shifter keys, the BCM and transmission. I have also been told they will do a diagnostic test on the battery and electrical system to ensure there is not a dead cell. I assume with a TSB technical service bulletin this is not just a random event. I will find out in three days when i get it back. This event left me dead in the garage with the same impacts that you outlined above.

Regards Craig

DScottL

I experienced the exact same thing in my 2021 Corsair. It had less than 2000 miles. Lincoln Canada told me that they could not diagnose the problem because I had removed and replaced the battery cable to get it running. Neither Lincoln or my local dealer are offering to do anything, even though I gave them the information that John17056 and Craigscorsair posted. I now have a wrench with me at all times. Just hoping that I'm not in a big hurry, or in the rain or freezing cold when it happens next time. So much for the satisfaction of buying a 'luxury' vehicle.

syl

Maybe also keep a code scanner in the car, in case you can gather more information before disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?