• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Too much of a car for me?

smartino

Hi all...I'm a bit torn and came here to the forum for a bit of real world advice.

I'm a single woman (long term relationship, but not married and don't live together) with 1 grown daughter and 1 large dog. It seems to me that the Navigator is more for either men, families or even women with kids to tote around so I feel a bit guilty and feel like I am reaching even looking into this vehicle.

I have no need for a car this big, have no need (although not a problem to) spend that much on a vehicle and don't even really commute since I work from home. The only thing that is drawing me to this car is that ......I LIKE IT! I mean I just like the look of it, I like the interior, I love all the features of it, etc. My partner and I took it for a test drive recently but he decided that he didn't want it for a few reasons, although I still like it. Part of me feels like its just too big of a car for me and I'm being greedy but the only thing I have going for me is that I just like it. I've always loved BIG SUVs. I don't even really care for the MKC because its just not the same. I currently drive a mid-size SUV and still always just look longingly at the bigger ones.

So someone please talk some sense into me. LOL. Am I just being unrealistic with wanting to spend that much money on that big of a vehicle when I have no need for it or should I just keep looking for something smaller? Any other women on the forum with a Navi? Thanks!

Ico

My wife daily's our Navigator and loves it, she came from an F-150 Limited she also liked.

Big body-on-frame vehicles have certain driving dynamics that can't be replicated by smaller unibody vehicles. If you like that, then there's only one choice.

That said, the Aviator may be a great compromise, but my wife chose the Navigator over the Aviator, so what do I know? :)

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Hi all...I'm a bit torn and came here to the forum for a bit of real world advice.

I'm a single woman (long term relationship, but not married and don't live together) with 1 grown daughter and 1 large dog. It seems to me that the Navigator is more for either men, families or even women with kids to tote around so I feel a bit guilty and feel like I am reaching even looking into this vehicle.

I have no need for a car this big, have no need (although not a problem to) spend that much on a vehicle and don't even really commute since I work from home. The only thing that is drawing me to this car is that ......I LIKE IT! I mean I just like the look of it, I like the interior, I love all the features of it, etc. My partner and I took it for a test drive recently but he decided that he didn't want it for a few reasons, although I still like it. Part of me feels like its just too big of a car for me and I'm being greedy but the only thing I have going for me is that I just like it. I've always loved BIG SUVs. I don't even really care for the MKC because its just not the same. I currently drive a mid-size SUV and still always just look longingly at the bigger ones.

So someone please talk some sense into me. LOL. Am I just being unrealistic with wanting to spend that much money on that big of a vehicle when I have no need for it or should I just keep looking for something smaller? Any other women on the forum with a Navi? Thanks!
I think the Aviator would be the best bet for your needs rather than a Navigator. You can save about 15-20K on a well equipped Aviator vs the Navigator. It will also be easier to deal with in terms of its size compared to a navigator.

It is a crossover so should be better on road mannered as well in terms of ride comfort and handling (the navigator is nowhere a compromise in comfort but you feel the weight when driving it)

dlcorbett

I like full sized suvs for their space and comfort. They dont share ride characteristics of a car or some crossovers, but atleast on hwys, they are vastly superior in my opinion. If you tested one(and its competitors) and liked it and can afford it, get it. Its not you showin off or being gaudy, its what you like. Also, dont be afraid to look at the mainstream versions as well. They have come a long way and their interiors are worlds better than they used to be(save for the toyota sequoia) and they drive very similar, mayb less quiet than their luxury counterparts. This way you can save a few bux and not feel bad about using it like it should. I love my 18 expy though i wanted a nav, but id hate if someone got in my nav and grinded their feet in the carpet or somethin.

Jcw7979

I am also in a long term relationship (we are marrying in aug) myself or him have children or pets I own a 17 navigator I love it. I do not need a Vehicle this large but it makes me feel safer and I love the way it looks and drives. So I say if you like it go for and buy one you will immediately fall in love. This is my 5th navigator could not imagine driving anything else

sscully

You can afford it, you like it and as posted posted about what more do you need to know.
Don't be concerned about what others think of your vehicle purchase.
I don't know what the SO not liking it does for things, that is something only you can reason / deal with.

If what others think of your vehicle was a concern, you would be looking at a Ford labeled vehicle.
The thought that Ford is more blue collar is because most do not know that an Expedition Platinum Max trim level starts at ~ 75K vs Nav starting ~ 10K higher. 12.5% more is not that big of a jump.

Go for it, I am envious of you going for the new Nav. I have more time with the '14 before I purchase another one.

LTC1997

When it comes to towing things, the Navigator seems made for that, but gas mileage can be a serious issue if/when the price of fuel bounces around (could go much higher).

Then there is having to maneuver and park the thing, I think the smaller (but still large) alternative makes a lot more sense.

Also, the unibody vehicles usually have a much lower floor behind the seats, and a lower lift-over height from the tail gate, and are less tip-prone.

Nucdog

Since when do you have to need something to buy it? I am a single woman approaching retirement age and I just bought a used Navigator L. It is very quiet, which I love as the highways are torn up and cause a lot of noise in my old Explorer. It is in perfect shape and all my neighbors thought it was brand new. I love the leather seats and how it rides. My dog weighs 13 lbs. I really got it for him. Lol.

blkgator

Semmes, Al,
You need to buy it. We bought my wife one December 2017. She loves it about as much she loves me. She seen a truck at the drug store with electric running boards, and when I came out told me about it. Told her could put some on the truck $2 or 3,000.00 dollars. A diesel Chevy. Got home and on computer seen the Navigator. Call and worked on price a little so went to Pensacola to get it, They would not take that much cash, so came back and got a check at the bank. She have been very happy from that day on. More so than the 40 years before.

GO BUY IT !!!!

thisstrangeengine

I like full sized suvs for their space and comfort. They dont share ride characteristics of a car or some crossovers, but atleast on hwys, they are vastly superior in my opinion.
I'm curious - what do you think is "vastly superior" about body-on-frame vehicles vs unibodies on the highway?

I've owned several of both (and just went from a unibody 3-row SUV to a new Navigator L) and it's pretty clear to me that the highway is not where body-on-frame vehicles are most at home.

Interested to hear what you are seeing that I am not.

- Mark
2019 Navigator L Reserve

dlcorbett

I'm curious - what do you think is "vastly superior" about body-on-frame vehicles vs unibodies on the highway?

I've owned several of both (and just went from a unibody 3-row SUV to a new Navigator L) and it's pretty clear to me that the highway is not where body-on-frame vehicles are most at home.

Interested to hear what you are seeing that I am not.

- Mark
2019 Navigator L Reserve
What made your unibodies better on the hwy than your nav? Which uni was best?
What was your previous vehicle? Was your previous crossover better riding and more quiet than your current nav? If that was the case, what lead to your decision to replace it with an nav?

Im using my expy, prior nav, fs suv test drives and dads my15 escalade as reference points. I havent driven a unibody long term, just test driven them on different roadways including hwy. Longest ride was in a 19 honda pilot for an hr. Atleast for me, the sightlines, visibility and overall higher seating position is more comfortable in my expy. Most fs suvs are quieter on the hwy, atleast in terms of overall ambience. Also, on open hwy, i find suvs to be somewhat more cushy, slightly more plush than crossovers. For example, my wife, her teen brother, and i tested a hyundai palisade. Right after, we drove my expy on the same road. The test included a highway bypass. We all agreed the expy was smoother and more plush, my expy doesnt have the ccd or adaptive suspension as the nav. On that same road, ive tested a 18 nav and it was smoother than even my truck. On rough hwy roads, crossovers are superior. Another example, my sister has a 16 sorrento, its better on rough roads, but not on the open road. Also, the expy gets boomy over bumps esp in the rear. My expy gets about 24 to 26 mpg on the hwy avg 65mph, which is what most fs crossovers net as well without the quickness of the expy. Though this maybe just a brand thing, ford makes very comfy front seats, not many other auto makers compete with those seats. The escalade has horrible seats however. Lastly, the expy is far roomier esp in the third row compared to any crossover we tested.

Leigh Ann

I drive the Navigator because it’s the vehicle I feel safest in. I drove the first one for 240,000 miles never left me stranded. I just purchased my second one and couldn’t be happier with this choice. I have dogs but could’ve easily gone to something smaller but I kept coming back to the Navigator again for safety. During the Atlanta ice storm I was one of only a couple of employees that made it home. Especially as a single woman driving it’s even more important. Another single female friend has the Ford Expedition for the same reason. Safety matters

Karlb

Your safety is top priority and in this vehicle you are safe. My girlfreind had a Mountaineer in great shape and she loved it but she is also 6' 1" and I got her a Navigator and she loves it, rain snow whatever safe and easy to drive in bad weather, also she claims her posture and ride heigth really helps with night driving as she is not in other vehicles headlight path. We each have one and they are now 235k and 257k miles and run and drive perfect so....I would go for it but I am Biased!

dlcorbett

Your safety is top priority and in this vehicle you are safe. My girlfreind had a Mountaineer in great shape and she loved it but she is also 6' 1" and I got her a Navigator and she loves it, rain snow whatever safe and easy to drive in bad weather, also she claims her posture and ride heigth really helps with night driving as she is not in other vehicles headlight path. We each have one and they are now 235k and 257k miles and run and drive perfect so....I would go for it but I am Biased!
Do yall have 1st or 2nd gen navs? Did yall replace the air springs in your trucks? Its great ur trucks are still cruisin at over 200k miles

G-892643

I’m 6’5” wanted a luxury truck and was willing to pay.
You haven’t even begun to meet the criteria which is usually something more than envy.
Getting swayed by feelings may not be a good way to decide.

HTML