Tire Size advice

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

bennettair193

I have a 2012 MKS V6 Ecoboost AWD. I purchased new wheels for it.. The installer said the wheels were 19 inch, but my tires are 20. We can't get the wheels in 20 so we are looking at options under the 19 inch. It is my son's birthday present and we don't want him to look like he has bicycle tires on his car, so we were discussing getting a tire with a bit bigger sidewall. The factory standard is 255/45R19. I am looking at 255/50R19 which I have confirmed will work on the wheels, but I am concerned about the clearance in the wheel well. The total diameter of the current 20 inch wheel/tire set up is 28.68 inches. The 19 inch wheels with the 50R19 tire will run at about 29.03 inches. My rough measurement of the wheel well is a little over 30 inches. I have 2 questions. 1. Will the standard 19 in wheel look significantly different that we would need to worry about the larger side wall? 2. If yes, then do you think there is enough clearance in the wheel well to accomodate the 255/50r19?

bbf2530

I have a 2012 MKS V6 Ecoboost AWD. I purchased new wheels for it.. The installer said the wheels were 19 inch, but my tires are 20. We can't get the wheels in 20 so we are looking at options under the 19 inch. It is my son's birthday present and we don't want him to look like he has bicycle tires on his car, so we were discussing getting a tire with a bit bigger sidewall. The factory standard is 255/45R19. I am looking at 255/50R19 which I have confirmed will work on the wheels, but I am concerned about the clearance in the wheel well. The total diameter of the current 20 inch wheel/tire set up is 28.68 inches. The 19 inch wheels with the 50R19 tire will run at about 29.03 inches. My rough measurement of the wheel well is a little over 30 inches. I have 2 questions. 1. Will the standard 19 in wheel look significantly different that we would need to worry about the larger side wall? 2. If yes, then do you think there is enough clearance in the wheel well to accomodate the 255/50r19?

Hi bennetair. Short version: What you are contemplating is the correct tire size for a 19" wheel, even if you may have came upon it sort of by accident. ;)
Assuming the 255/40-20's were the factory wheel/tire size, there will be no clearance issue. And they will look just fine.

You want to keep as close to the factory overall wheel/tire diameter as possible. So in your case, when you go from a 20" wheel with a 255/45-20 tire to a 19" wheel, the correct tire size would be 255/50-19.

Essentially, if you go down 1" in wheel size (i.e. 20" to 19"), you go up one sidewall ratio (i.e. 255/45 to 255/50) to keep the same approximate overall wheel/tire diameter for fit and speedometer/odometer accuracy.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

G-890152

Hi bennetair. Short version: What you are contemplating is the correct tire size for a 19" wheel, even if you may have came upon it sort of by accident. ;)
Assuming the 255/40-20's were the factory wheel/tire size, there will be no clearance issue. And they will look just fine.

You want to keep as close to the factory overall wheel/tire diameter as possible. So in your case, when you go from a 20" wheel with a 255/45-20 tire to a 19" wheel, the correct tire size would be 255/50-19.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thank you very much for the help. 😊