tire chains

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

88MK7Man

Drain Plug leaks?

ok, I\'m becoming fed up with the back oil plug leak on this BRAND NEW Spectra Premium oil pan, I\'ve tried fiber gaskets, nylon ones, metal ones with rubber inserts from the Ford dealer. Today I put a good plug from a T-Bird Turbo Coupe (has same threads as the Spectra Pan, M14) that had a good tight fitting nylon gasket, same thing, it leaks. Anyone have any tips to stop this leak?

88MK7Man

Drain Plug leaks?

you know, I was looking at those Fram things today, they have the copper gaskets, I might try that if the new nylon gaskets I got today dont work, just use the vacuum trick on the oil fill so I dont have to drain the oil again. hehe

Disney Lincoln

Drain Plug leaks?

Get and Oring that will fit around the plug. Use it.

imported_Jackup460

Drain Plug leaks?

I\'ve used teflon(plumbers) tape in the past. I had to wrap it around the thread 3 times and did this every oil change. Just one more simple step, but annoying.

virginiafiveo

Drain Plug leaks?

never had any problems with that....i just put new magnetic ones in and they don\'t leak at all?? did you torque it down enough??

88LSCMK7

Drain Plug leaks?

[quote name=\'Jackup460\']I\'ve used teflon(plumbers) tape in the past. I had to wrap it around the thread 3 times and did this every oil change. Just one more simple step, but annoying.[/QUOTE]
I would go the O-ring method, teflon tape has a way of getting into oil galleries and stoping oil getting to critical places.

88MK7Man

Drain Plug leaks?

Think I\'ll stop by Kragen on the way home from work and grab one of the Fram things and some type of thread sealer for the fitting, thatway I should never have to remove the fitting ever again. If that doesnt work then I dont know what will.. lol

imported_Jackup460

Drain Plug leaks?

[quote name=\'88LSCMK7\']I would go the O-ring method, teflon tape has a way of getting into oil galleries and stoping oil getting to critical places.[/QUOTE]

Bah, it was an old car. Gotta get by with what you can. Didn\'t have the \"fram things\" back then.

Non of the teflon deteriated after each oil change. I\'m pretty sure it\'s not made to; or else it wouldn\'t stop leaks; being usless. Just got to thinking...dAnGeRoUs

88MK7Man

Drain Plug leaks?

I FIXED IT!! WOO HOO! Although I feel like a retard, I did the Fram thing today on that back drain plug, then pulled my car into one of the install bays after work, installed an amp in my trunk, then looked under the car, there was another oil puddle under the car!! so I jack the car back up, crawl under there and look, sure enough the oil level sensor is leaking, the oil clinging to the pan and dripping off the drain plug, pulled the sensor out, put some thread sealant on the thread and the flange and put it back in. let her sit in the bay for another hour or so while I tinkered around the shop. Looked under the car and NO PUDDLE! :D