Tire Chains? On a Lincoln Town Car?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

HighwayStar

Don't you mean some FWD vehicles lack rear disc brakes? I don't think I've ever heard of any modern car with no brakes on the rear..??
Depends on your definition of modern I suppose.
Yes, they have drum brakes, but the drum brakes I have had on FWD vehicles were of little impact when driving.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Enlighten us to the car brands running the roads with the design of no rear brakes please. I will most certainly want to avoid being in a cluster of cars on my commute with these cars included.

HighwayStar

Enlighten us to the car brands running the roads with the design of no rear brakes please. I will most certainly want to avoid being in a cluster of cars on my commute with these cars included.
See the above.
I don't know how long it has been since they built some that omitted them entirely, my guess would be some odd 80's/90's imports or something like that.
But also many of the FWD cars on the road now have at best drum brakes.

Hound Dog

Sorry, I missed the make and model of the cars manufactured without rear brakes that are commonly seen on the roadways. I would like to be able to identify them, and would be grateful for your listing.

HighwayStar

Sorry, I missed the make and model of the cars manufactured without rear brakes that are commonly seen on the roadways. I would like to be able to identify them, and would be grateful for your listing.
Again, I frankly don't know, have never owned one, never planned on doing so. My guess would be 80's/90's econoboxes if you care to search.
The point comes from some forum where the AWD fanboys were at it and suggested that AWD was supperior to FWD for that reason. My initial comment was more relaying this sentiment than necessarily agreeing with it as being a significant factor.

Depends on your definition of modern I suppose.
Yes, they have drum brakes, but the drum brakes I have had on FWD vehicles were of little impact when driving.
How do you tell if rear discs have a greater impact than rear drums?
Front brakes normally do about 75% of the braking.
You don't want the rear brake bias to be too high in case they lock up and affect vehicle control.

HighwayStar

10-4. Just making sure they don't exist so I don't need to avoid them. Thanks for confirming that. 👍
They certainly do exist, to make a blanket statement that they don't is absurd.
As to when/where/to what degree they were common I have no idea. It is apparently something the AWD fanboys thought was significant, but as I said I would not necessarily defend what they say as gospel.

HighwayStar

How do you tell if rear discs have a greater impact than rear drums?
Front brakes normally do about 75% of the braking.
You don't want the rear brake bias to be too high in case they lock up and affect vehicle control.
Well the first clue would be that high end vehicles go with discs on all 4. Granted sometimes these things are marketing and not performance based, but I think in this case we can take a cue from that.
Also the bigger difference comes on ice, etc. where rear bias can be helpful since you don't have to steer with those tires. Anyone that has driven a FWD car with a handbrake in winter knows that sometimes the handbrake can be helpful for re-biasing the braking on the fly.
A more sophisticated approach would of course be ABS, where if the front brakes are trying to lock having more braking available in the rear is helpful.
But then again this is mostly a point made by the AWD fanboy club, and as someone that is on a Town Car forum, that is clearly not exactly my persuasion.
I will say that the next time I have this go arround with the AWD fanboys though I am going to call more BS on the brake advantages, as while I can see some merit to the drums argument, I suspect their "no rear brakes whatsoever" point is dated quite a bit.

HighwayStar

According to some site claiming to be brake experts (I have my doubts)

These days, all modern cars are produced with disc brakes on all four wheels. However, the widespread implementation of four-wheel drive braking systems did not become commonplace until the latter half of the twentieth century. But by the 1980s, nearly every car manufactured would include drum or disc brakes, or a mix, on all four wheels.

Although cars with a four-wheel hydraulic braking system had been invented by 1918, the benefits of hydraulics would not be seen for the average consumer until well into the 1940s. This is primarily due to the fact that both the Ford Motor Company and General Motors did not adopt hydraulic four-wheel brakes as a standard until post World War Two

So it would appear that the "no rear brakes" point, while theoretically valid, is very likely the result of AWD fanboys not considering drum brakes as brakes, less so than there being many examples of vehicles on the road without any rear brake.

Hound Dog

According to some site claiming to be brake experts (I have my doubts)

So it would appear that the "no rear brakes" point, while theoretically valid, is very likely the result of AWD fanboys not considering drum brakes as brakes, less so than there being many examples of vehicles on the road without any rear brake.
So, like I pointed out, no car manufacturer has a car on the road without working brakes all the way around. It was just made up pixie dust spread about on forums. Not real world cars.

I mean, if you look hard enough you will find that there are magic carburetors that make ordinary ice motors run on tap water. Those are being held back by the oil companies though. 😅🤣😂🤣

Jaskim06

Western Pa here, shitty roads and winters, no chains needed, invest in a good set of tires, the town car is a tank in the snow, no problems getting anywhere.
Yep. Get set of light truck aggressive tread tires and you'll be fine. I did get a type of traction aid for my old 99 cause where I work sometimes don't ever see a snow plow or salt. You gotta have a 4wd is it gets bad. I left many times a lil early if a storm was on its way. I'll see what these things are called. It's not a chain. It's made of metal with handgun type plastic teeth that you put on pull up and it's on. I'll find them and send a picture.

oktowncar

10-4. Just making sure they don't exist so I don't need to avoid them. Thanks for confirming that. 👍
There should be none on the road today but... back between 1939 and 1952 Crosley Corp. out of Ohio made vehicles.
During WW2 and the rationing, they cut back on production. Metals were going toward the war effort and some of those vehicles during that war time were shorted brake parts

Jaskim06

Yep. Get set of light truck aggressive tread tires and you'll be fine. I did get a type of traction aid for my old 99 cause where I work sometimes don't ever see a snow plow or salt. You gotta have a 4wd is it gets bad. I left many times a lil early if a storm was on its way. I'll see what these things are called. It's not a chain. It's made of metal with handgun type plastic teeth that you put on pull up and it's on. I'll find them and send a picture.
Here they are. They're low profile and won't rub on anything. That's the issue with chains on a car. Alot of people said over the years, you won't be able to drive that car in winter if it gets bad. Only trouble I ever had was making it up a big long steep grade. I got a good run but a car in front was putting along and I had to slow, then after some gas the rear started losing traction but I made it to top. It dropped around 5 inches in a few minutes. Another time on a pipeline job it rained and froze the access road and I had to use these to get up it at 0500 before sun was up. Worked great I just slipped shifter in 2nd and chugged right along. There's also another like a giant zip tie with a toothed bar that goes between spokes. Idk if this is kind of thing you need but it's easy, not a hassle and if you need them they fit in a lil bag in trunk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-191138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211112-191138_Chrome.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 4

HighwayStar

So, like I pointed out, no car manufacturer has a car on the road without working brakes all the way around. It was just made up pixie dust spread about on forums. Not real world cars.

I mean, if you look hard enough you will find that there are magic carburetors that make ordinary ice motors run on tap water. Those are being held back by the oil companies though. 😅🤣😂🤣
At least nothing remotely modern does. I did search the usual supsects (Yugo, Geo, etc.) and all of them even sprung for some kind of back brake, so any exmaple would have to be quite old, more in the catagory of curio than functioning car.

Theboss

This guy is ridiculous. He balks at all the suggestions. Listen man, Lincoln's are not meant for chaining up tires. They are meant for flat highways and that is all. If you don't buy snow tires, then that's on you. Chains are NOT an option.

oktowncar

This guy is ridiculous. He balks at all the suggestions. Listen man, Lincoln's are not meant for chaining up tires. They are meant for flat highways and that is all. If you don't buy snow tires, then that's on you. Chains are NOT an option.
All vehicles are meant to have the ability to use tire chains/cables... It's an option, just like snow tires. It helps provide traction in slippery conditions whether you are on a flat road or live in the mountains

Big Old Boy

Chains as an option to snow tires is truly ridiculous one or the other if you need both stay home, I have driven over 4 million miles and never put on a chain and never will.

oktowncar

Chains as an option to snow tires is truly ridiculous one or the other if you need both stay home, I have driven over 4 million miles and never put on a chain and never will.
It may be ridiculous to you but to others, it is a must have item.. Everyone hasn't driven as many miles as you or may have driven more or... live in your location.
Living in the USA, your experiences may vary..

bbf2530

Hi gang. Yes, chains are a requirement for some people who are living in some areas of the country and world.
In some areas, it is actually the law that you must have chains in order to drive at certain times of the winter, on certain roads. in certain areas of the country. And for good reason, since you may get stuck and die if you don't. And endanger the lives of those who will have to go out and try to find you.

However not all cars (as opposed to SUV's, CUV's Trucks) are designed or able to use chains, and some manufacturers expressly tell an owner not to use chains on certain vehicles. That includes certain Lincoln and Ford vehicles.

Good luck.