• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

timing chains

gambling209

going to look at a 2000 ls. owner said timing chain is messed up. car has right at 100k miles and is in good shape. question is, if motor is not broken from bad chain. is there a prefered chain setup to buy and where from? car is cheap and everything is suppose to work. anything I should look for? thoughts?

Slick Fan

Utah
Is this car a V6 or V8?
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience doing timing chains on either engine, so I'm not much help there. I've done timing chains on the 4.6 engines, and have found the Cloyes brand to be good quality sets. I buy mine from Rock Auto.

Welcome to the forum! :)

gambling209

well I bought a different car. for 500 more dollars it runs and everything works. now a new question. it is a v6 car. the tranny shifts like it has a shift kit in it. I think something is not exactly right. read somewhere that a sensor on the timing chain setup can cause funny shifts. any knowledge?

Slick Fan

Utah
Well, make sure the fluid is where it's supposed to be on the stick. If it's low, that can cause erratic shifts. Also smell the fluid, for a burnt smell. You may want to have a transmission shop look at it, for a better opinion.

HTML