thinking about a 2006 navigator

LannyMav

Hi everyone. I have read many things over the years and have learned so much from the collective minds here. That said, I am thinking of buying a 2006 Navigator. 149000 miles but only RWD, not 4x4. I have owned 3 explorers and 1 expedition, liked them all. Is this a good truck? I think yes, but any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

07navi

Hi everyone. I have read many things over the years and have learned so much from the collective minds here. That said, I am thinking of buying a 2006 Navigator. 149000 miles but only RWD, not 4x4. I have owned 3 explorers and 1 expedition, liked them all. Is this a good truck? I think yes, but any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would get an '07, they sold a lot of them in that year.

Cupcakus

That's a great truck, but as with any vehicle that's 14+ years old, it's only as good as it's previous owners cared for it. The 4x2 has a little more towing capacity than the 4x4 so if hauling is in your future that might be the better choice.

LannyMav

Thanks for the info. The 06 nav had a little tick? (sound) at idle, and the check engine light was on, the guy talked about cam phasers. It was pretty beat up too, broken drivers running board, broken grill and front bumper damage. Even with all that it is a great looking truck. However my search continues.

I recently got an '06. Love it. They are beautiful cars. And, to all the doubters out there, if I could pony $100k for a 2020 I would but don't be a snob to us lesser folks.

I have a few issues with mine and that part of the reason I'm here. The cam phasers are an issue with just about all the 5.4l, 3 valve engines engines. Look up a guy on Youtube called FordTechMakuloco. He's a former Ford Service tech who built a channel talking about Ford/Lincoln maintenance issues, and he talks about the cam phaser issue.

Don't know how many miles on the one you're looking at but if you can try to get one with less than a 100k miles. You see them for sale with 150k, 175k miles, but by that time they area really beat up. IDK, but I think I would pass on the one you're looking at. But, the '07's and later are a good idea too. I had to replace my THX sound system w/ Navigation and there are no adapters available but there were adapters for the '07 model. I managed to do but it wasn't easy.

One word of advice: You need to be a bit of DYI'er sort of person for older cars. If not, paying for mechanics will put you in the poor house pretty quick.

07navi

I recently got an '06. Love it. They are beautiful cars. And, to all the doubters out there, if I could pony $100k for a 2020 I would but don't be a snob to us lesser folks.

I have a few issues with mine and that part of the reason I'm here. The cam phasers are an issue with just about all the 5.4l, 3 valve engines engines. Look up a guy on Youtube called FordTechMakuloco. He's a former Ford Service tech who built a channel talking about Ford/Lincoln maintenance issues, and he talks about the cam phaser issue.

Don't know how many miles on the one you're looking at but if you can try to get one with less than a 100k miles. You see them for sale with 150k, 175k miles, but by that time they area really beat up. IDK, but I think I would pass on the one you're looking at. But, the '07's and later are a good idea too. I had to replace my THX sound system w/ Navigation and there are no adapters available but there were adapters for the '07 model. I managed to do but it wasn't easy.

One word of advice: You need to be a bit of DYI'er sort of person for older cars. If not, paying for mechanics will put you in the poor house pretty quick.
The phasers are no big deal, I can replace one in a day or two and prices have come down on parts. I would still go with an 'o7

HTML