The end of the current Continental

Ico

Well, a 4 year run in North American (5 years in China) is all we get from Lincoln for the Continental. It was the worst kept secret.

I do believe it's a mistake for a luxury brand to not have a sedan. My lease is up next spring, and I won't be buying the car outright, as the residual is well above value, and apparently Lincoln won't sell the car to me at market value, they'll try to get as much from it as they can, which probably means shipping it to the US from Canada and doing the currency game.

I'll miss the car, and I think a follow-up on the CD6 platform and the opulent Aviator interior would be welcomed.

We have a 2019 Navigator as well, and I have no desire to have 2 SUV's in my garage... what's next? Probably a G80 or G90 for me. I live in rural Canada and all of the German dealers are at least 2 hours away and Hyundai will warranty Genesis cars here.

What do other Continental owners think?

brucelinc

Minneapolis
No surprise but I am disappointed. My Conti is the best road trip vehicle I have ever driven...extremely comfortable, powerful and user friendly. Likely my last Lincoln unless things change in the next few years.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
I may turn in this lease early and see if i can grab a 2020 while they are available -- or a Nautilus.

Ctrcbob

Well, a 4 year run in North American (5 years in China) is all we get from Lincoln for the Continental. It was the worst kept secret.

I do believe it's a mistake for a luxury brand to not have a sedan. My lease is up next spring, and I won't be buying the car outright, as the residual is well above value, and apparently Lincoln won't sell the car to me at market value, they'll try to get as much from it as they can, which probably means shipping it to the US from Canada and doing the currency game.

I'll miss the car, and I think a follow-up on the CD6 platform and the opulent Aviator interior would be welcomed.

We have a 2019 Navigator as well, and I have no desire to have 2 SUV's in my garage... what's next? Probably a G80 or G90 for me. I live in rural Canada and all of the German dealers are at least 2 hours away and Hyundai will warranty Genesis cars here.

What do other Continental owners think?
1. I’m surprised that this Continental lasted this long. Mine was nothing but trouble

2. As for Genesis G90 or G80. They also have their problems. One of the worse is lack of stand alone dealers. You don’t get the quality servicing experience as you are using Hyundai Svc Departments, As for the valet pick-up, it’s mostly a joke. Lucky if they leave you a Sonata. Go into the Genesis Forums and read the G90 problems. I considered a Genesis but nixed it due to the poor dealer network.

Jeyaar456

It's a pity but if they are not shifting the units and losing money on each car then it's a sensible move.

Is a 4 year run not par for a Lincoln model ?

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
Stupid decision on Lincoln's part. Better marketing and they would have sold well. A lot of us older Americans still like comfortable sedans and this was/is still an excellent vehicle: rivals and exceeds my Cadillac and equal to my Jaguars. I am going back to Land Rover . . .

Ctrcbob

Stupid decision on Lincoln's part. Better marketing and they would have sold well. A lot of us older Americans still like comfortable sedans and this was/is still an excellent vehicle: rivals and exceeds my Cadillac and equal to my Jaguars. I am going back to Land Rover . . .
Due to low sales of Land Rover and Jaguars because of the Chinese Virus, Tata (India) may decide to sell both brands off, or worse.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
If I have to have an SUV or an orphan, I would rather it be a Discovery or Range Rover Sport. I guess I could switch over to MB or Lexus (latest BMWs have had lots of issues and their big sedans are beyond my means and I find their seats uncomfortable). Not a fan of Japanese cars; maybe I lived there too long!

Local dealer says he thinks he can find whatever 2020 Continental I want somewhere on the East Coast -- "Let's talk! But supplies running out due to the Covid 19 shutdown."

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
Navigator is too big. Nautilus-size lacks knee room --all are short on leg room to pedals. But, not ruling out Nautilus: I had recommended the MkC to my brother, which he bought. His is the four banger: drives nice. Once seated, seemed much the same as Conti -- short on rear leg room -- but a nice truck. But I drove a new Discovery V on the off-road course at the Biltmore last year; reminded me how much I miss the product. I have been told the new V6 engine is a SC version of our twin turbo.

Multitask

I'm 5'11" and my MKZ sometimes seems like I'm a long way away from the wheel... sometimes I don't think the seat comes up to where it was... but that is another issue....
I'm just not an SUV person .... I like my Sedan, even though it's just me... so even then and SUV is too much for just me. 8)

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
The other issue is the cost of leasing: the 2017 series Conitinentals have not retained value, so the lease cost for another will be nearly twice what I am currently paying -- if I am to believe the online tools. Better answer may be to buy a used 2019 or 2020 with very low mileage and nearly full warranty. I'll see how the rest of the term progresses.

jhartz

Virginia Beach, VA
With Jim Farley (a marketing guru) taking over at FORD, maybe they will rethink burying Continentals. Still a market in China for LWB sedans as well as retirees who can afford them here in North America. I am getting close to my lease mileage limit, even with 7 more months to go, might be time to see what's left that my dealer can grab.

HTML