• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Tachometer

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Jets1992

Oct 29, 2020
Aftermarket tach, universal fit. No specific wiring instructions.
Correction, there is an instruction for power, ground, light power and tach impulse. Which wire is tach impulse?

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Usually the tach impulse would be connected to the ignition coil distributor side of a traditional ignition system from the 1980s and earlier.

The problem for a 1996 Lincoln is it has a coil pack which will not work. There is no distributor.
I have heard of connecting to an alternator. But that was a marine application.

The data (Engine RPM) is data that is known in the electronic engine control system.

Action

Last edited:

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
Correction, there is an instruction for power, ground, light power and tach impulse. Which wire is tach impulse?
If you have COPS, I think you'll need a tach adapter,but I'm not positive on this . This has to do with converting the signal to a different wave so the tach can understand and read it.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Model year 1996 still used the two ignition coil blocks for the 4.6l engine.
COPS was a few years off.
And still some type of adapter would be needed.
Or a way to tap into the crankshaft sensor without causing signal issues to the PCM.

Action