sync3

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

G-778749

So, If I buy a sync 3 system, can I install it in my 2014 Lincoln MKS, and will it work?

tgara

Aug 31, 2021
Connecticut
My Lincoln
2021 Nautilus
No and no.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
So, If I buy a sync 3 system, can I install it in my 2014 Lincoln MKS, and will it work?

Hi G-77. The short answer...Yes, it is possible. The longer answer...since the MKS was never equipped with SYNC 3, it would not be easy. At all.

To convert from SYNC to SYNC 3, you must convert essentially all the SYNC hardware and all of the SYNC software to SYNC 3 hardware and SYNC 3 software. Along with controls on the SYNC 3 screen, SYNC 3 has hard buttons for the Audio and Climate Control systems. And since the MKS was never equipped with SYNC 3, there are no hard button replacements or conversion kit for it.

There are kits you can purchase for vehicles like the MKZ (which were equipped with SYNC and the SYNC 3), which are expensive. But no MKS kits, since as mentioned above, it was never equipped with SYNC 3 before production ended.

Take a look here: convert SYNC to SYNC 3 - Google Search
Ignore the posts that say you can't. They are referring to the fact that you can not perform a simple software upgrade.

And here:
Although it is an MKZ, it gives a good idea of what you need to do to convert from SYNC to SYNC 3.

As you can see, it would not be easy, since the MKS was never equipeed with SYNC 3.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

jebaril

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
The Monroney sticker on a 2016 MKS that I’m looking at purchasing definitely says Sync 3….

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
The Monroney sticker on a 2016 MKS that I’m looking at purchasing definitely says Sync 3….

Hi jebaril. Then the MKS was an early adopter of SYNC 3. That is great for the OP. I thought the MKS had not switched over to SYNC 3 before being discontinued. Thanks for the information.

However, I just took a look at the 2016 MKS brochure, and while it was equipped with SYNC 3, it was still equipped with the problematic MyLincolnTouch controls, instead of the hard button layout that 2017+ Lincolns changed over to (varying according to models).

But at least that means there should be SYNC 3 components/parts out there specific to the MKS.

Good luck.

Last edited:

jkeaton

Aug 1, 2019
Winston Salem, NC
My Lincoln
2013 MKS
What does sync3 do for you? Yes, I'm too lazy to google today and I don't even know whats in my 2013 MKS. Though it does do everything I need.

LincolnLover123

Aug 22, 2022
My Lincoln
2013 Lincoln MKS
I just wanted to share that I did successfully upgrade my 2013 MKS from Sync 2 to Sync 3. It was not an easy process but it was worth it to me. It gave some new life to my car and allows me to use CarPlay. It required programming with ForScan after installing the hardware. My only real complaint is that the navigation does not work well anymore. It does not use the built in GPS. It uses a $10 GPS compatible with Sync 3. Other than that, it is a major improvement in terms of speed compared to Sync 2. There are not very good resources on doing this process in the MKS but I learned a lot!

LincolnLover123

Aug 22, 2022
My Lincoln
2013 Lincoln MKS
Yes I should have! If anyone ever wants to attempt this on theirs and has questions, feel free to ask and I may be able to answer them. It was a big learning experience for me. It is a huge improvement over Sync 2.

LincolnLover123

Aug 22, 2022
My Lincoln
2013 Lincoln MKS
Sync 3 will not work in a 2012 and below. They had the Sync 1 system. However, it will work in a 2013 and up that has Sync 2. The connector is the same on Sync 2 and Sync 3. It will work with the screens on the dash as well. The only thing that does not work is the built in GPS and the thermometer to display on the screen. You have to get a new GPS for it. Pretty much any Sync 3 kit will include this. You also have to change out the USB ports which the kits also should include. It’s a big job but it is possible. I did it in my 2013 MKS. I got the upgrade kit on eBay. If you have ever removed the FCIM, it is almost the exact same process. You just have to take it a step further and remove the Sync screen.

Last edited:

jharrell61

May 5, 2019
Sync 3 will not work in a 2012 and below. They had the Sync 1 system. However, it will work in a 2013 and up that has Sync 2. The connector is the same on Sync 2 and Sync 3. It will work with the screens on the dash as well. The only thing that does not work is the built in GPS and the thermometer to display on the screen. You have to get a new GPS for it. Pretty much any Sync 3 kit will include this. You also have to change out the USB ports which the kits also should include. It’s a big job but it is possible. I did it in my 2013 MKS. I got the upgrade kit on eBay. If you have ever removed the FCIM, it is almost the exact same process. You just have to take it a step further and remove the Sync screen.
LincolnLover123,

I need to replace the FCIM in my 2013 MKS too, so I’m considering going the extra mile and upgrading to Sync 3 at the same time. I would appreciate any advise/tips/lessons learned that you can share.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
LincolnLover123,

I need to replace the FCIM in my 2013 MKS too, so I’m considering going the extra mile and upgrading to Sync 3 at the same time. I would appreciate any advise/tips/lessons learned that you can share.

HI jharrell and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. In addtion to advice from LincolnLover123 and others, watch the video in Post #3 (if you haven't already) for a pretty good tutorial as to what is needed and it entails to upgrade a MyLincoln/MyLincoln Touch system to SYNC 3.

Keep us updated and good luck.

LincolnLover123

Aug 22, 2022
My Lincoln
2013 Lincoln MKS
I am selling my MKS this week and just took my Sync 3 system out so it is fresh in my mind. My next car is a 2017 Lincoln MKC Reserve. Since it already has Sync 3, I don’t need this anymore. It is on eBay now (if you’re interested I can send you the link). I am willing to sell it for less than other sellers since it is used and I have no use for it. A disclaimer about this upgrade. The GPS never worked like it did on Sync 2. Particularly with CarPlay Maps. I never had good success. This may have been an issue with my phone though. Despite this, I still recommend Sync 3. When I went back to Sync 2, the benefits were even more evident. The sound quality on phone calls and the voice assistant were much improved on Sync 3. There are 4 screws holding in the sync system. Once you get the FCIM off, remove the 4 screws holding in the current Sync 2 system. It has brackets on the top and bottom corners. These will need to be removed from the Sync 2 screen and put on the Sync 3 screen. The wiring harness is identical. It is pretty much plug and play. You will need access to ForScan to program it. The one I am selling is programmed for my MKS with AC seats, Heated Seats, and the Heated Steering Wheel. Most of them come programmed for a Ford. It isn’t too hard to reprogram if you know how to use ForScan. You also need to program the VIN to your own. Some sellers on eBay will program the VIN for you. However, when they say “free programming” that is all they did. The one I got came made for Ford without AC seats or a Heated Steering Wheel. I will probably be better to answer specific questions so just let me know!