• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

SYNC3 software update question

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I did upgrade my SYNC 3 some time back to include apple carplay/Android auto (maybe ver3.0) and I did follow all the procedures to report it on my owners account but its still showing my last update was 2017. I did update this in August 2018 to Ver 3.0. At this point, I am not sure how to correct this on the website (SYNC Software Download).

Am I missing new updates from SYNC. Anyone have any experience with this or know how to correct this. The dealership charges 150 dollars for a sync update which is basically something that can be done at home!

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
You can check the build number of the update through the head unit, and compare it to what’s online for download.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
So I updated the software and everything went fine. But I cannot confirm the update on the website. It would not accept the XML file. Keeps saying the XML file should have my VIN number on it, which it does.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Is there a trick to get CarPlay working with the version 3.0 update? I can't get it working in my mom's after the update.

The link above now goes to a 404 error. I can't remember where I found it the other day. The Lincoln website is horrid.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Is there a trick to get CarPlay working with the version 3.0 update? I can't get it working in my mom's after the update.

The link above now goes to a 404 error. I can't remember where I found it the other day. The Lincoln website is horrid.
It works fine on mine. I did have to update once after purchasing the car. Not every sync3.0 came with android auto. It needed an update for android auto to work. Also, this maybe lame, but did you make sure your phone has android auto app and it has the right permissions?

bbf2530

Hi RG. To check if there are SYNC software updates available for your vehicle, go to the Lincoln Owners website: Your Lincoln Ownership Experience Begins Here

Sign in...or register if you have not already.
Click on "Support"
Click on "SYNC software updates".

You have to be registered and signed in.

Not sure why Apple CarPlay is not working for you though. You can also find instructions and video tutorials on how to use Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
First, as mentioned, I’m using CarPlay, which is Apple CarPlay, not Android Auto.

2nd, I already updated it from version 1.0 to 3.0 via the Lincoln owner’s website.

Do the 2016 models need updated USB ports? I assumed the ones with a white ring around them were correct, but I just watched a video with a guy buying a new USB port for his ‘16 Mustang with Sync 3 to get CarPlay to work, though his original USB port had the white ring around it.

2017 models already have the updated USB ports. My questions are specific to 2016 models.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I’m leaning towards the need to buy the updated USB ports. I’ll post back once we get that done.

The white rings around the ports are lights. I found the Ford blue ports on eBay for $52 shipped. Honestly, we don’t care what color the lights are, as they’re in the armrest storage compartment. I might check around some local salvage yards to see if any of them have any 2017+ Fords with double USB ports and Sync 3. Might be cheaper than buying on eBay.

bbf2530

First, as mentioned, I’m using CarPlay, which is Apple CarPlay, not Android Auto.

2nd, I already updated it from version 1.0 to 3.0 via the Lincoln owner’s website.

Do the 2016 models need updated USB ports? I assumed the ones with a white ring around them were correct, but I just watched a video with a guy buying a new USB port for his ‘16 Mustang with Sync 3 to get CarPlay to work, though his original USB port had the white ring around it.

2017 models already have the updated USB ports. My questions are specific to 2016 models.
Hi RG. Oooops, made a mistake and referred to you having problems with "Android Auto" instead of "Apple CarPlay". My deepest apologies.
However, you did not read my post completely. I had mentioned both "Apple CarPlay" and "Android Auto" where I mistakenly stated "Not sure why Android Auto is not working for you though. You can also find instructions and video tutorials on how to use Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc.".

But nevertheless, I just edited the offending statement to instead read "Not sure why Apple CarPlay is not working for you though. You can also find instructions and video tutorials on how to use Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc.".

Did not know what updates you or your mom may or may not have made to SYNC in your mom's car, so I provided the Lincoln Owners/SYNC update site and information for you. Tried to help but can see it did not work. Hope you can find a solution to your issues. Good luck.

Last edited:

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I’m leaning towards the need to buy the updated USB ports. I’ll post back once we get that done.

The white rings around the ports are lights. I found the Ford blue ports on eBay for $52 shipped. Honestly, we don’t care what color the lights are, as they’re in the armrest storage compartment. I might check around some local salvage yards to see if any of them have any 2017+ Fords with double USB ports and Sync 3. Might be cheaper than buying on eBay.
I actually did not have to buy any PD (Pen Drive). I just bought a regular 32GB PD. I had to convert it to FAT32 format maybe. But all the instructions were mentioned when I created my Lincoln account and it even let me download and then asked me to plug the cavity back into the laptop>>>> after this step is when it never really completed the process so I don't have any new versions, BUT the one I did download, got me to a version that has android auto working.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I actually did not have to buy any PD (Pen Drive). I just bought a regular 32GB PD. I had to convert it to FAT32 format maybe. But all the instructions were mentioned when I created my Lincoln account and it even let me download and then asked me to plug the cavity back into the laptop>>>> after this step is when it never really completed the process so I don't have any new versions, BUT the one I did download, got me to a version that has android auto working.
The process is the same for Sync 2 and Sync 3. The difference is, Sync 3 offers WiFi updates, but my mom’s wouldn’t work. I’m not sure if the 3.0 update for Sync 3 fixes the issue. Hers was still on v. 1.0, so it had never been updated at all. When I reconnected the drive to the Lincoln website, it accepted it, and no longer shows an update needed.

I’m referring to the actual USB ports, not the flash drive. It seems the updated ports were in all 2017 and newer models. Everything else seems to be in place for CarPlay/Android Auto to work. We’ll probably order the new media hub after the holidays.

I recall your ‘16 was sold new in 2017, so I’m wondering if maybe yours was a later build, and it already had the updated USB ports.

Last edited:

G-495723

The process is the same for Sync 2 and Sync 3. The difference is, Sync 3 offers WiFi updates, but my mom’s wouldn’t work. I’m not sure if the 3.0 update for Sync 3 fixes the issue. Hers was still on v. 1.0, so it had never been updated at all. When I reconnected the drive to the Lincoln website, it accepted it, and no longer shows an update needed.

I’m referring to the actual USB ports, not the flash drive. It seems the updated ports were in all 2017 and newer models. Everything else seems to be in place for CarPlay/Android Auto to work. We’ll probably order the new media hub after the holidays.

I recall your ‘16 was sold new in 2017, so I’m wondering if maybe yours was a later build, and it already had the updated USB ports.
I/m in the same boat as you. I have updated my 2016 Lincoln mkc to version 3.0, but still cant get apple carplay. Do I need to buy a new usb port for apple carplay to work?

HTML