Sync V.3.4 Build 21265 Now Available

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Thanks, that would be great if you can let us know. Also interesting that you can report via Sync. I assume that happens when you are connected to a very strong wifi that is also suspect for doing Sync updates in the first place.

You may have detected that I don't have faith in these engineers.
I attempted to use voice command for navigation this morning after I reported the issue with the temperature voice setting. I received the following reply, "The Navigation system is still loading" as a response. Tried it several times over a 10 minute span with the same result. However, after reaching my destination and filling up, the navigation was again working when I started the vehicle. I wonder if using the reporting system may have affected the operation initially since it now works as expected.

BTW, this is the reply I received from the Sync 3 engineer in the 6th Gen Explorer/Aviator forum. "turn the vehicle on and let it sit for about a minute so that everything is up and running. Try the voice command. When it doesn't work, go to settings, general, then select the sync analytics and diagnostics option. You'll see a bug report option at the end. Pick that, then pick anything for voice, like command not working, and submit. It'll then send the log in next time it connects to WiFi."

Peter

BriBoy

I am on 21098. When I upgraded from 21020, I lost some voice commands for navigation. Voice commands for the radio work, and I can manually use navigation. I did not want to try 21194 because I didn't want to lose the temp display. I have downloaded 21265 and created the USB. My question is: if I update to 21265, something gets broken, and I want to go back, can I format the USB, write the 21098 files onto it, and downgrade? BBF? Peter?
Thanks you guys

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Have you tried a voice command to set the temperature? "set temperature xx degrees" I'd be interested to know if it works on 21098 as I can't recall the last time I used it successfully? A friend said he could not get it to work on the previous 21194 build.
I think you can go back but so far there haven't been any issues with 21265 that I'm aware of.

Peter

bbf2530

I am on 21098. When I upgraded from 21020, I lost some voice commands for navigation. Voice commands for the radio work, and I can manually use navigation. I did not want to try 21194 because I didn't want to lose the temp display. I have downloaded 21265 and created the USB. My question is: if I update to 21265, something gets broken, and I want to go back, can I format the USB, write the 21098 files onto it, and downgrade? BBF? Peter?
Thanks you guys

Hi Bri. I have read and heard anecdotal stories/evidence of owners retrograding to an earlier SYNC version.

Good luck.

BriBoy

Thanks you guys

I don't know if anyone else has reported this issue. As I posted in the 'Update' thread, the engineer on the 6th gen Explorer/Aviator forum explained to me how to use Sync to report the problem to Ford and I'll try that as well and see what happens. He mentioned that the 21265 update was just to correct the temperature display.

Peter
Minutes after I posted, I saw your post, Peter, regarding 21265 update just to fix temperature display. I think I'll not take my chances and hold off! I'll try a voice command to set temperature next time I drive and let you know how that turned out.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Minutes after I posted, I saw your post, Peter, regarding 21265 update just to fix temperature display. I think I'll not take my chances and hold off! I'll try a voice command to set temperature next time I drive and let you know how that turned out.
Apparently. if you do not have the Climate button at the bottom of the screen, voice command for temperature will not work. That is according to the Sync engineer on the Explorer/Aviator forum. I posted that in another thread. Voice Temperature Setting

Peter

BriBoy

Apparently. if you do not have the Climate button at the bottom of the screen, voice command for temperature will not work. That is according to the Sync engineer on the Explorer/Aviator forum. I posted that in another thread. Voice Temperature Setting

Peter
I do not have the climate button (Thanks Black Label for the picture) but I'll try just the same. In fact I think I'll go try right now

BriBoy

I do not have the climate button (Thanks Black Label for the picture) but I'll try just the same. In fact I think I'll go try right now
Ok I tried to set temp with voice command, and the Sync lady told me to use the buttons to control the climate. Build 21098, so there you go

ryguy5254

Hello peeps. New Aviator 2022 owner here. I got mine about two weeks ago, and I recently updated my Sync to 3.4.21265

I keep reading about the "temp display" issue, what is it exactly? Now that I have the latest update, I'm not sure what I was missing before and what was "fixed". I'd like to see if mine updated correctly. I've only had one issue where the screen was black. I had to unplug my phone, then plug it back in, and it had worked.

I think for the most part, before you plug in your phone, you need to start the vehicle, and let the infotainment system load up before your plug your phone in, is that right?

TIA

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hello peeps. New Aviator 2022 owner here. I got mine about two weeks ago, and I recently updated my Sync to 3.4.21265

I keep reading about the "temp display" issue, what is it exactly? Now that I have the latest update, I'm not sure what I was missing before and what was "fixed". I'd like to see if mine updated correctly. I've only had one issue where the screen was black. I had to unplug my phone, then plug it back in, and it had worked.

I think for the most part, before you plug in your phone, you need to start the vehicle, and let the infotainment system load up before your plug your phone in, is that right?

TIA
IMG_8942 2.JPG

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
This morning on the way back from the daughter's school, my Sync system rebooted itself and then showed "System Updated". Odd since I have Automatic Updates turned OFF and I had not installed a USB flash drive. Pulled up to the house to see that, in fact, my Software Version shows Build 21265.

I toggled the temp and, thankfully, my temp displayed correctly AND the upper left and right temps still are there.

It is concerning, however, that my system somehow updated itself to 21265. I did download the files to my computer yesterday but in no way did I insert a USB drive into my vehicle. I was not connected to wifi as I was driving my vehicle, AND, as sated, I do not have Automatic Updates enabled. I hope 21265 is not corrupted as the last few versions have been. That is why I was waiting to update to read of any possible issues.

This sort of turns the Sync 4 only over the air update discussion on its ears. How did my vehicle update itself?

Good news, though, is that all my temp displays appear normal.

bbf2530

This morning on the way back from the daughter's school, my Sync system rebooted itself and then showed "System Updated". Odd since I have Automatic Updates turned OFF and I had not installed a USB flash drive. Pulled up to the house to see that, in fact, my Software Version shows Build 21265.

I toggled the temp and, thankfully, my temp displayed correctly AND the upper left and right temps still are there.

It is concerning, however, that my system somehow updated itself to 21265. I did download the files to my computer yesterday but in no way did I insert a USB drive into my vehicle. I was not connected to wifi as I was driving my vehicle, AND, as sated, I do not have Automatic Updates enabled. I hope 21265 is not corrupted as the last few versions have been. That is why I was waiting to update to read of any possible issues.

This sort of turns the Sync 4 only over the air update discussion on its ears. How did my vehicle update itself?

Good news, though, is that all my temp displays appear normal.

Hi BL. Not sure what happened. However, the SYNC 3.0/3.3/3.4 vs SYNC 4 OTA update facts have not been turned "on its ears". ;)

SYNC 3.4 (and all SYNC 3 predecessors) does not have the hardware or software capability to receive OTA/over the air updates. Only via WiFi or manually via USB.

What actually happened is that somehow, for some reason, your Lincoln received a WiFi update despite having WiFi updates turned off. So the question here is why your system received a WiFi update when you state you have WiFi updates turned off.

EDIT- If you do not want further involuntary SYNC updates, I would recommend you go into your SYNC settings and have your system "forget" your home WiFi system/passwords and any other WiFi systems/passwords you have stored. This will prevent it connecting to any/all WiFi networks in the future.

Happy to hear the update has solved you temp display problem though. Good luck my friend.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi BL. Not sure what happened. However, the SYNC 3.0/3.3/3.4 vs SYNC 4 OTA update facts have not been turned "on its ears". ;)

SYNC 3.4 (and all SYNC 3 predecessors) does not have the hardware or software capability to receive OTA/over the air updates. Only via WiFi or manually via USB.

What actually happened is that somehow, for some reason, your Lincoln received a WiFi update despite having WiFi updates turned off. So the question here is why your system received a WiFi update when you state you have WiFi updates turned off.

EDIT- If you do not want further involuntary SYNC updates, I would recommend you go into your SYNC settings and have your system "forget" your home WiFi system/passwords and any other WiFi systems/passwords you have stored. This will prevent it connecting to any/all WiFi networks in the future.

Happy to hear the update has solved you temp display problem though. Good luck my friend.
Yes, I am glad this version seems to be not flawed so far.

Yes, apparently, even with automatic updates off and the vehicle off sitting in the garage, the vehicle connected and downloaded the update on its own.

Concerning for the reasons I stated plus this could be a reason people suffer from drained batteries if the vehicle is sitting in a garage and connecting to the wifi with the vehicle turned off and ignoring the automatic update setting.

Or, it is voodoo and magic, like the Airbus planes I fly. No one knows how they work lol.

bbf2530

Yes, I am glad this version seems to be not flawed so far.

Yes, apparently, even with automatic updates off and the vehicle off sitting in the garage, the vehicle connected and downloaded the update on its own.

Concerning for the reasons I stated plus this could be a reason people suffer from drained batteries if the vehicle is sitting in a garage and connecting to the wifi with the vehicle turned off and ignoring the automatic update setting.

Or, it is voodoo and magic, like the Airbus planes I fly. No one knows how they work lol.

Hi BL. I understand your concerns.

However, the vehicle only downloads WiFi updates (if one is even available) for up to 30 minutes after the vehicle ignition has been turned off. Then the SYNC update system shuts down, to preserve battery power. This information is mentioned in our Owners Manuals. It is also why WiFi updates seem to take so long to perform, since updating can only occur for 30 minutes from the time we park the car by a strong, recognized WiFi network.

Of course, there are always glitches, so if someone believes their vehicle is not performing properly and the battery is draining, that is what we have a warranty for.

And I edited my previous reply, prior to you replying just now, so just in case you missed it: For those who do not want involuntary SYNC updates, I would recommend you go into your SYNC settings and have your system "forget" your home WiFi system/passwords and any other WiFi systems/passwords you have stored. This will prevent the vehicle from connecting to any/all WiFi networks in the future.
Essentially, there is no reason to have the vehicle connected to a WiFi network, if you don't want SYNC updates via WiFi.

Good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I know how most things are SUPOSSED to function. Unfortunately, I have learned that in these vehicles many times what is supposed to happen does NOT happen properly. So, I have little faith that what you said ought to occur will actually happen that way on a regular basis.

The fact of the matter is that Lincoln and my vehicle took it upon themselves to magically update my vehicle without my knowledge and consent. That is troubling, particularly when whatever is corrupted in the version rears its ugly head. That is more likely to happen than not based on recent experience from the last 3 updates.

I get what you are saying about forgetting the wifi network. Again, the fact is that one should NOT have to do that when already setting the vehicle to not automatically update. That right there shows that these vehicles many times just do not function as seemingly designed.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
bbf, I know in the past you have recommended to turn off automatic updates to avoid, well, automatically updating. I do not recall you ever saying to ALSO forget your home wifi network because your vehicle will just go ahead and disregard what you told it not to do if it connects to your home wifi.

It is stupid, frankly, to have to do both of these things to avoid unwanted updates.

bbf2530

I know how most things are SUPOSSED to function. Unfortunately, I have learned that in these vehicles many times what is supposed to happen does NOT happen properly. So, I have little faith that what you said ought to occur will actually happen that way on a regular basis.

The fact of the matter is that Lincoln and my vehicle took it upon themselves to magically update my vehicle without my knowledge and consent. That is troubling, particularly when whatever is corrupted in the version rears its ugly head. That is more likely to happen than not based on recent experience from the last 3 updates.

I get what you are saying about forgetting the wifi network. Again, the fact is that one should NOT have to do that when already setting the vehicle to not automatically update. That right there shows that these vehicles many times just do not function as seemingly designed.

Hi BL. Again, I completely understand your concerns and points. However, I can not personally redesign the vehicle or fix the issue.

Therefore, I simply try to help people find a solution to their issues when I can. And sometimes correct incorrect information by providing the correct information. And if someone feels there is something deeper wrong with their vehicle, recommend they take their vehicle in for service.

And yes, I know you have no faith in the ability of your Lincoln Dealer, or Lincoln, to fix things either. But again, I'm not the person you need to complain to, since I can do nothing about that either. Correct? ;)

I'm simply here to try and help people. Including you when I can.

Good luck my grouchy friend. ;)

bbf2530

bbf, I know in the past you have recommended to turn off automatic updates to avoid, well, automatically updating. I do not recall you ever saying to ALSO forget your home wifi network because your vehicle will just go ahead and disregard what you told it not to do if it connects to your home wifi.

It is stupid, frankly, to have to do both of these things to avoid unwanted updates.

Hi BL. I did not say I said it in the past. I said it in my edit of my previous post.
Maybe I have said it in the past, maybe I haven't. I don't remember all of my posts, and you certainly have not read all my posts.

Besides, for the love of God man...you fly Airbuses for a living (Airbus's?). Do I need to tell you everything? ;) :ROFLMAO:

You are very grumpy today. 🙃