Sync 4 for Aviator Grand Touring

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Monstonemark

Has anyone seen or heard when the Aviator will come with Sync 4 installed? All the 2022's in our area only have Sync 3 installed. I hate to purchase with dated tech.

Also wondering if Sync 3 works wirelessly with an iPhone?

tgara

Has anyone seen or heard when the Aviator will come with Sync 4 installed? All the 2022's in our area only have Sync 3 installed. I hate to purchase with dated tech.

Also wondering if Sync 3 works wirelessly with an iPhone?
Sync 3 does not work wirelessly. If you want to use Sync 3 wirelessly, you can buy a wireless adaptor, such as this one (I used this in my MKZ with Sync 3):

Sync 4 works wirelessly or wired without any adaptors.

Monstonemark

Sync 3 does not work wirelessly. If you want to use Sync 3 wirelessly, you can buy a wireless adaptor, such as this one (I used this in my MKZ with Sync 3):

Sync 4 works wirelessly or wired without any adaptors.
Thank you!

tgara

Sync 4 will be short-lived when it does come out. Plans are already underway to use a Google Android-based system starting in 2023..

Peter
I doubt this. All Ford is doing is switching the underlying software that powers the Sync system from Blackberry to Google, but it’s still the Sync system. From the article you posted (but apparently didn’t read):

Instead, its use of Android would be “uniquely Ford and Lincoln,” Ford’s VP of strategy and partnerships, David McClelland, said in a conference call with reporters. A spokesperson confirmed that Ford would be swapping its current backend provider, Blackberry’s QNX, with Android. The automaker will then build a new version of its Sync operating system on top of that Android-powered software.

This is similar to Ford’s change from Microsoft to Blackberry in the Sync system back in 2014. And by the way, Sync 4 is already here. It’s in my Nautilus, the Mustang Mach E, the new Bronco, the F-150, and more.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
I am aware Sync 4 is already being used in certain vehicles. It appears it is being rolled out much the same as Sync 3 was. I only posted that Sync 4 is being replaced by Google Android, which it is.

Peter

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I doubt this. All Ford is doing is switching the underlying software that powers the Sync system from Blackberry to Google, but it’s still the Sync system. From the article you posted (but apparently didn’t read):

This is similar to Ford’s change from Microsoft to Blackberry in the Sync system back in 2014. And by the way, Sync 4 is already here. It’s in my Nautilus, the Mustang Mach E, the new Bronco, the F-150, and more.
He posted a Google search from what I saw, not a particular article. Does appear as you said though. It will still be Sync powered by a different operating system.

bbf2530

Hi gang. It can be whatever Lincoln/Ford decides to call it. Keep calling it SYNC 4. Call it SYNC 5. Or completely rename it from SYNC "X" to something else. However, "SYNC 5" might be a good guess.

However, the underlying operating system will be different, as much of the hardware may/will also be. Just as when Lincoln/Ford switched from the original SYNC and SYNC 2/MyLincolnTouch/MyFordTouch systems to SYNC 3.

As part of one article states, when quoting a Ford spokesperson, "'SYNC is our connected vehicle brand and we are building on its popularity,' a spokesperson said in response to a follow up question about the fate of Ford’s OS. 'It currently sits on the [Blackberry] QNX OS that will shift to the Android OS as part of the deal – just can’t get into other ’23 details yet.'
Ford shouldn’t have to abandon Sync altogether, given the flexibility afforded by Google’s native Android Automotive system. This approach allows Google to do more of the heavy lifting on the software side, while leaving the automakers with the freedom to design the OS to match their tastes. For example, the embedded Android system on the Polestar 2, which is made by Volvo and Geely, looks a lot like Volvo’s Sensus infotainment system."

Good luck.