• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

sync 3 upgrade

Mix20041

Sync 3 swapped never mind the info ... but if anyone wants info I have it
I would like to do it but I changed my mind when they said you would have to install a new gps antenna and that the usb and video inputs in the arm reset would not work with the sync 3 is this true

BoostedMKS2013

Yes it is
You use a fukura gps style antenna 12.00 ebay
New usb hub 35.00 ebay
Hub adapter plate 12.00 tusca parts
Wiring adapter gen 1 4dtech
Sync 3 module from car-part - eBay
You can get lucky I got my unit for 45.00

Last edited:

cljnco

So I am in process of doing the same thing on my '13 MKS. I cannot figure out how to get dash apart. None of the online tutorials seem to work for a 2013+ MKS. Can anyone give me a heads up where to start on this?

g_486747

Use a plastic removal tool and take off the wood trim parts (the long piece above the glove box and the small one above the push start button). Remove the sides of the center console with a plastic removal tool ( these don’t have to come all the way off just from the foot well to the seat). Remove the shifter cover (open glove box and put shifter in neutral pull up clips and unplug the 2 electrical plugs). Remove the 7mm screws holding the passenger airbag cover ( open the glove box and slip the panel out of behind the glove box this is a tight fit but it will come off)
Remove the panel under the steering wheel (let this hang down). Remove the drivers side cover ( this is clipped on by the custer and 2 screws) Remove the heater controls (4 screws). Remove the screen bezel and heater vents (2 screws) Now you are at your screen. You must reuse your brackets form your old sync 2 unit if you acquired a sync 3 from a mks skip this step. Reverse the process to reassemble. When you get sync 3 up and running you MUST program it with forscan etc. to have all your features work. Any more info I will be glad to help.

BoostedMKS2013

1. Remove the wood trim (long piece and small piece)
2. Loosen side panels on center console (these don’t have to come all the way off just from foot well to seats)
3. Remove shifter cover (open glove box and shifter to neutral pull up the 6 clips 3 on each side unplug the 2 electrical connections)
4. Remove the screws on the passenger side air bag cover(open the glove box and remove the panel ** you can squeeze this panel out form behind the glove box inner panel**)
5. Remove the drivers side panel (you have to drop the lower panel under the steering wheel then screws pull panel straight out)
6. Remove the heater controls (screws and clips at the top unplug the electrical connection)
7. Remove the screen bezel/ heater vents (screws and clips)
Then you at your screen (screws and electrical connections)
** NOTE ** you must reprogram the sync 3 unit with forscan to work properly.

BoostedMKS2013

1. Remove the wood trim (long piece and small piece)
2. Loosen side panels on center console (these don’t have to come all the way off just from foot well to seats)
3. Remove shifter cover (open console storage bin and shifter to neutral pull up the 6 clips 3 on each side unplug the 2 electrical connections)
4. Remove the screws on the passenger side air bag cover(open the glove box and remove the panel ** you can squeeze this panel out form behind the glove box inner panel**)
5. Remove the drivers side panel (you have to drop the lower panel under the steering wheel then screws pull panel straight out)
6. Remove the heater controls (screws and clips at the top unplug the electrical connection)
7. Remove the screen bezel/ heater vents (screws and clips)
Then you at your screen (screws and electrical connections)
** NOTE ** you must reprogram the sync 3 unit with forscan to work properly.

7carisfast

Where did you pick one up at? Ebay. Do you mind me asking how much?

BoostedMKS2013

I got lucky very lucky the whole swap was 175 but the cost of the APIM is the kicker they range from 50 to as much as 1400 use car-part.com most fords Lincoln’s 2016+ use the same unit just with different brackets and programming. You swap the brackets from sync 2 and forscan to program to your as built data

Sheldon Duffy

I can understand why someone would want to upgrade to Sync 3. I have a 2016 MKZ with Sync 2 and yesterday I drove a loaner MKC with Sync 3. I could not believe how much easier it was to use. I especially liked how it showed a graphic with the artist when you were using bluetooth.

I really don't understand why Ford?Lncoln doesn't offer an option to upgrade your vehicle to Sync3.

HTML