Sync 3 update available?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi BL. Hope I am understanding what you are asking. Version 20282 is newer than v20136. So if you entered your VIN in the Lincoln SYNC update website, and it shows that Build 20282 is available for your Navigator, then that is the latest version available for your Navigator. Download and install it via USB.

As far as comparing what a "new" Navigator in the lot has (v20136): That vehicle could have been sitting there for some time and/or simply built just before V20282 was released.

Few, if any Dealers will update SYNC on vehicles that are sitting in the lot. Perhaps if we ask them to do it when we purchase (although few new owners would know to do that), they would most likely update SYNC as a courtesy. But even when sold, most Dealers will not think or bother to do it as part of the vehicle prep process. Should they? Yes, in my opinion. But they won't. So it is up to us as owners to perform our due diligence and ask them to do it before purchasing, do it ourselves, or ask them to do it when we have our vehicles in for routine maintenance.

For those waiting for their vehicles to update via WiFi: You need to physically connect your vehicle to your home WIFi or another WiFi network, where your vehicle spends at least a half hour after it is turned off. After the vehicle has been turned off for 30 minutes, the vehicle stops downloading (battery protection). This information is in the Owners Manual.
In addition, the WiFi signal needs to be very strong where you vehicle is parked outside (or in your garage). A weak or fair signal does not seem to work well at all.
In other words, a Lincoln/Ford SYNC 3.0-3.4 vehicle will only download SYNC updates via WiFi while it is connected to a known WiFi network, with a strong signal, while the vehicle ignition is turned on or for up to 30 minutes after it is turned off.

When connected to a strong WiFi signal, WiFi updates can occur. However, the best way to perform SYNC updates is to download the update from the Lincoln SYNC update website and install it via USB.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Hey! No, I think you have it right. My vehicle, in Settings, shows the current Sync version to be 20136 from January 5. Back around that time, I downloaded 20282 but it would never have the Sync My Ride folder. I tried 3 or 4 times and then even called the Sync folks and had them help me.

Best they came up with is that somehow the version 20282 must be tailored to my VIN. I questioned that, but what are you going to do?

So, I had my vehicle in, for the 3rd time, for software issues. The same issues. They involve Sync. I told the service manager about the v20282 that my owner site shows. He assured me they updated Sync. Yet, today, I checked the Settings and it shows the old 20136.

Frankly, I like the manager, but I think his techs are incompetent. But, that is an ongoing issue. And, another dealer I could use is no better. So, it will eventually get worked out.

bbf2530

Hey! No, I think you have it right. My vehicle, in Settings, shows the current Sync version to be 20136 from January 5. Back around that time, I downloaded 20282 but it would never have the Sync My Ride folder. I tried 3 or 4 times and then even called the Sync folks and had them help me.

Best they came up with is that somehow the version 20282 must be tailored to my VIN. I questioned that, but what are you going to do?

So, I had my vehicle in, for the 3rd time, for software issues. The same issues. They involve Sync. I told the service manager about the v20282 that my owner site shows. He assured me they updated Sync. Yet, today, I checked the Settings and it shows the old 20136.

Frankly, I like the manager, but I think his techs are incompetent. But, that is an ongoing issue. And, another dealer I could use is no better. So, it will eventually get worked out.

Hi BL. I would try downloading the available v20282 files again from the Lincoln SYNC update website.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi BL. I would try downloading the available v20282 files again from the Lincoln SYNC update website.

I was thinking the same thing. Just checked my invoice again, all warranty of course, and no Sync update was performed! Maddening! Multiple emails in to them. Again.

bbf2530

I was thinking the same thing. Just checked my invoice again, all warranty of course, and no Sync update was performed! Maddening! Multiple emails in to them. Again.

Hi BL. As I have mentioned in other threads (if not here), most Service Departments will not perform SYNC related updates unless the vehicle owner specifically asks. And even then, it can sometimes be an iffy proposition, so I would always check to see if it was actually performed.

Do I feel this is a good business practice? No, of course not. But I try to deal in realities. ;)

If you have driven the vehicle for a few days and your version still shows as v20136, then the v20282 update was not successful.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi BL. As I have mentioned in other threads (if not here), most Service Departments will not perform SYNC related updates unless the vehicle owner specifically asks. And even then, it can sometimes be an iffy proposition, so I would always check to see if it was actually performed.

Do I feel this is a good business practice? No, of course not. But I try to deal in realities. ;)

If you have driven the vehicle for a few days and your version still shows as v20136, then the v20282 update was not successful.

You certainly have, and believe me, I made it clear I wanted Sync updated.

I'll get it worked out and update here.

Thanks!

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Was able to connect to my wifi today. After scanning for updates, the vehicle says that I am up to date on that 20136 Build.

Again, not really looking for answers here, just giving info for others, but my owner site still shows Build 20282 available, but it will not download properly. Very odd. Good luck to me getting a straight answer from Fair Oaks Lincoln and/or Lincoln itself on the conflicting information.

penguin

I have a 2018 BL running SYNC3 v3.0.17302. It is currently at the dealer getting the cam phasers replaced. They gave me a 2020 loaner running v3.4.19200. It is so much more responsive and just overall better. The climate control menu is better (auto seat warmers) and when I close the driver door while running it beeps twice instead of honking the horn twice (loudly). I hate that mine honks so loudly when closing door while running. It has woke my sleeping baby a few times 😡. When I check the Lincoln website, it says my system is up to date. I asked the dealer to check for updates while it’s in the shop but haven’t heard back yet.

Anyone have any experience updating to v3.4.19200 using cyanlabs tutorial here:

Interesting you had a cam phasers problem. Same in my 2018 Navigator Reserve. Also had that problem with 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (which I had to pay over $2000 to have fixed). Why is nobody addressing a cam phaser problem in the 3.5L engine. I would have hoped it improved since 2013, but it doesn't appear it has changed. This should be a recall.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Interesting you had a cam phasers problem. Same in my 2018 Navigator Reserve. Also had that problem with 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (which I had to pay over $2000 to have fixed). Why is nobody addressing a cam phaser problem in the 3.5L engine. I would have hoped it improved since 2013, but it doesn't appear it has changed. This should be a recall.
I believe it has been addressed. Not sure what causes a recall, but if it is under warranty I would think it is covered.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Was able to connect to my wifi today. After scanning for updates, the vehicle says that I am up to date on that 20136 Build.

Again, not really looking for answers here, just giving info for others, but my owner site still shows Build 20282 available, but it will not download properly. Very odd. Good luck to me getting a straight answer from Fair Oaks Lincoln and/or Lincoln itself on the conflicting information.
I am now finally on version 20282. I used a USB. In my case, there were a couple of issues. The previous instructions said to use "Stuffit Expander" to unzip the files. Now, they have realized that was causing issues. The program to use now is called "Unarchiver". It is linked in the updated instructions.

Also, the instructions don't specify USB 2.0 or 3.0, and Sync support says either will work. In my case, however, once I was able to download all the files correctly with the new program, even though I was formatting my USB 2.0 to exFAT, the vehicle would not read the USB. I went and bought a 3.0 USB, formatted it to exFAT, and then it finally worked and updated my Sync to build 20282.

Just advising in case any others are having these issues.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
My 2017 MKX Reserve still has build 19205. Screen shows it last scanned for updates on 3/12/21. When I bought the car CPO it had an earlier build that updated to the current build automatically. Could it be that there are different builds for different Lincoln models?

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
My 2017 MKX Reserve still has build 19205. Screen shows it last scanned for updates on 3/12/21. When I bought the car CPO it had an earlier build that updated to the current build automatically. Could it be that there are different builds for different Lincoln models?
I think that is the case due to the different features and platforms across different models. My 2020 Navigator is not automatically downloading Sync updates, however.

bbf2530

Hi Ckrohn. This thread can get confusing because it has replies from vehicle owners with SYNC 3, SYNC 3.3 and SYNC 3.4. And the latest version numbers are different for each iteration of SYNC.

The best course of action is to go to the Lincoln SYNC 3 update site and input your VIN. You will be notified if your SYNC version is up to date or not. If not, the site will offer you the option to download the latest update for your vehicle, or the ability to purchase it on a ready made USB drive.

Here is the Lincoln SYNC 3 update site: Lincoln Support | Update Your SYNC® System

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

EDIT - Your 2017 vehicle will have come from the factory with SYNC 3. The latest version of SYNC 3 is 3.0.20204
Do not count on WiFi updates. They are problematic. The fact your vehicle scanned for updates means nothing.
If you have available updates on the Lincoln SYNC 3 update website, follow the instructions to download and install the manually/yourself.

Last edited:

Paul461

Tampa, FL
I updated to Sync 3.4 Build 20282 and Map NA 1 19 in my 2019 Nautilus. I liked the Sync update part, although the horn still honks twice with the car running, rather crude for a "Luxury" car. The voice part of the navigation no longer works. Such an improvement.

bbf2530

I updated to Sync 3.4 Build 20282 and Map NA 1 19 in my 2019 Nautilus. I liked the Sync update part, although the horn still honks twice with the car running, rather crude for a "Luxury" car. The voice part of the navigation no longer works. Such an improvement.

Hi Paul. If your Navigation voice no longer works, make a service appointement to have it diagnosed and corrected.

The horn honk has nothing to do with a "luxury car". Most all passenger vehicles, including "luxury" cars, have this safety feature. Since it is far too easy to walk away from a modern, push button start vehicle with the engine running, there needs to be a reminder. Don't want people leaving their car running in the garage and asphyxiating the entire family, or similar accidents.
You can avoid the horn honk by leaving the keyfob in the car when you get out with the engine running, or not closing the door all the way. It can also be turned off using FORScan software and an OBDII USB link.

Good luck.

milcol

Hi BL. Hope I am understanding what you are asking. Version 20282 is newer than v20136. So if you entered your VIN in the Lincoln SYNC update website, and it shows that Build 20282 is available for your Navigator, then that is the latest version available for your Navigator. Download and install it via USB.

As far as comparing what a "new" Navigator in the lot has (v20136): That vehicle could have been sitting there for some time and/or simply built just before V20282 was released.

Few, if any Dealers will update SYNC on vehicles that are sitting in the lot. Perhaps if we ask them to do it when we purchase (although few new owners would know to do that), they would most likely update SYNC as a courtesy. But even when sold, most Dealers will not think or bother to do it as part of the vehicle prep process. Should they? Yes, in my opinion. But they won't. So it is up to us as owners to perform our due diligence and ask them to do it before purchasing, do it ourselves, or ask them to do it when we have our vehicles in for routine maintenance.

For those waiting for their vehicles to update via WiFi: You need to physically connect your vehicle to your home WIFi or another WiFi network, where your vehicle spends at least a half hour after it is turned off. After the vehicle has been turned off for 30 minutes, the vehicle stops downloading (battery protection). This information is in the Owners Manual.
In addition, the WiFi signal needs to be very strong where you vehicle is parked outside (or in your garage). A weak or fair signal does not seem to work well at all.
In other words, a Lincoln/Ford SYNC 3.0-3.4 vehicle will only download SYNC updates via WiFi while it is connected to a known WiFi network, with a strong signal, while the vehicle ignition is turned on or for up to 30 minutes after it is turned off.

When connected to a strong WiFi signal, WiFi updates can occur. However, the best way to perform SYNC updates is to download the update from the Lincoln SYNC update website and install it via USB.

Hope this helps and good luck.
BBF I have downloaded the sync 3 update opened it with unarchiver moved files to the usb the folder had 6 files I have a 2016 lincoln MKX with 3.0 version, plugged in the usb got message to update hit yes and got an LST ERR05 message said download files again and retry I did but get same message, am I missing a step here.