Sync 3 update available?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Torquer

We have a 2019 Navigator and it currently has the following version of the Sync 3 firmware: v3.0.17302. I am pretty sure this is the version that it came from the factory with. Now other Lincoln models, even for older model years, have much new firmware available for them, for example: v3.0.20204. When I go to this website, it tells me I have the latest firmware: Lincoln Support | Update Your SYNC® System

Has anyone been able to install updates on a 2019? Some bugs in it are really bad, like they forgot to put a shift-key on the keyboard when you define your own favorite place, so all letters are lowercase. This one was fixed years ago for other Ford/Lincoln models, but I still have really old firmware on mine.

BTW, I have successfully been able to update the maps a couple times, but not the firmware.

rdub1982

We have a 2019 Navigator and it currently has the following version of the Sync 3 firmware: v3.0.17302. I am pretty sure this is the version that it came from the factory with. Now other Lincoln models, even for older model years, have much new firmware available for them, for example: v3.0.20204. When I go to this website, it tells me I have the latest firmware: Lincoln Support | Update Your SYNC® System

Has anyone been able to install updates on a 2019? Some bugs in it are really bad, like they forgot to put a shift-key on the keyboard when you define your own favorite place, so all letters are lowercase. This one was fixed years ago for other Ford/Lincoln models, but I still have really old firmware on mine.

BTW, I have successfully been able to update the maps a couple times, but not the firmware.
I have a 2018 BL running SYNC3 v3.0.17302. It is currently at the dealer getting the cam phasers replaced. They gave me a 2020 loaner running v3.4.19200. It is so much more responsive and just overall better. The climate control menu is better (auto seat warmers) and when I close the driver door while running it beeps twice instead of honking the horn twice (loudly). I hate that mine honks so loudly when closing door while running. It has woke my sleeping baby a few times 😡. When I check the Lincoln website, it says my system is up to date. I asked the dealer to check for updates while it’s in the shop but haven’t heard back yet.

Anyone have any experience updating to v3.4.19200 using cyanlabs tutorial here:

bbf2530

Hi guys. SYNC3 v3.0.20204 is the latest U.S. version of SYNC 3.0.

It had been freshly released and I installed it into my 2018 MKZ in late December or early January. However, release dates for different vehicles can vary, because vehicle features can vary. So it is possible that 3.0.20204 has not been released yet for the Navigator (I just do not know).
Your Dealer should be able to verify what is the latest version for your vehicle and install it if you wish. You can also call Lincoln Concierge and see if they have the latest release version info.

In regards to unofficial, third party, SYNC 3.0 to SYNC 3.4 "upgrades" (i.e. Cyanlabs or others): Yes, Lincoln and Ford owners have performed them. What I can tell you is that some say they are completely successful. Others say they were successful, lost some function/functions, but they did not use those functions anyway and don't care. Others (not many) bricked their SYNC systems.

What I can also tell you is performing this type of non Lincoln/Ford approved SYNC "upgrade" will lead to warranty claim denials, if you should have any SYNC or SYNC related systems problems later. And keep in mind that most everything in the Audio/Climate Control/Infotainment/electronic/electrical systems are tied into SYNC.

I am not telling anyone what to do with their vehicles. Only making it known that doing this non-Lincoln/Ford factory approved SYNC "upgrade" can/will lead to warranty claims issues. If you do not care, or are outside your 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty (and/or any applicable ESP Plan), feel free to do the research and let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

EDIT - Forgot to mention: There have been several SYNC 3 updates since "SYNC3 v3.0.17302", and prior to v3.0.2024. So it does seem odd that the Lincoln SYNC update site tells you your system is up to date with v3.0.17302. The Service Department and/or Lincoln Concierge would be the next logical place to inquire.

Last edited:

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
My MKX has Sync 3 19205. There's a newer update, but mine hasn't updated yet. The vehicle has to be connected to WiFi, and automatic updates has to be enabled (both are in settings; general).

Torquer

EDIT - Forgot to mention: There have been several SYNC 3 updates since "SYNC3 v3.0.17302", and prior to v3.0.2024. So it does seem odd that the Lincoln SYNC update site tells you your system is up to date with v3.0.17302. The Service Department and/or Lincoln Concierge would be the next logical place to inquire.

bbf2530: Do you know if the sync 3 updates you mention were specifically for the Navigator, and if so, for which model years?

I know there are sync 3 updates for lots of other models of both Lincoln and Ford, but I need to know if there is something wrong in the process for why our 2019 Navigator is not getting them. (And I am talking about downloading them from the website...I know the Wifi updates sometimes have problems.)

razzzy

My car needs to be updated to SYNC3 v3.0.20204. Wifi keeps telling me I'm up to date (which I know I am not). I tried the USB and it didn't acknowledge the drive at all.

I unzipped the files to the flash drive. Put it in the running car. Nothing.

Torquer

My car needs to be updated to SYNC3 v3.0.20204. Wifi keeps telling me I'm up to date (which I know I am not). I tried the USB and it didn't acknowledge the drive at all.

I unzipped the files to the flash drive. Put it in the running car. Nothing.
Razzy, what model and year do you have?

razzzy

2016 MKX
I currently have Sync 3 v3.0
Build 19205

Thielios

Lincoln Navigator 2019 Reserve
Sync v3.0.17302

My car said the last time it checked for updates was Oct 1st 2019. I have never been successful checking for updates even when connected to home wifi.

Torquer

Lincoln Navigator 2019 Reserve
Sync v3.0.17302

My car said the last time it checked for updates was Oct 1st 2019. I have never been successful checking for updates even when connected to home wifi.
Thielios, thanks. That is the same level as mine.

If you wouldn't mind, can you go to this website and enter your VIN to see if an update is available for your car: Lincoln Support | Update Your SYNC® System
If there is, it will give you instructions to do it manually, without using Wifi.

For some reason it seems Lincoln does not want to update recent model year Navigators, but updates earlier models.

razzzy

Thielios, thanks. That is the same level as mine.

If you wouldn't mind, can you go to this website and enter your VIN to see if an update is available for your car: Lincoln Support | Update Your SYNC® System
If there is, it will give you instructions to do it manually, without using Wifi.

For some reason it seems Lincoln does not want to update recent model year Navigators, but updates earlier models.
I tried to do it manually with a USB for 20 minutes and I didn't get any notification.

Thielios

It says I am up to date. My friend has a 2018 Expedition and he has been upgraded to a newer version of Sync3. Not sure what the hold up is here. There are a couple features I feel could be tweaked with a new version.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I just got my 2020 back yesterday from the dealership for software stuff. Supposedly up to date. Vehicle shows version 3.4 Build 20136.

Lincoln owner site shows, and showed prior to my visit, that Build 20282 is available. Not sure what is correct and up to date.

bbf2530

I just got my 2020 back yesterday from the dealership for software stuff. Supposedly up to date. Vehicle shows version 3.4 Build 20136.

Lincoln owner site shows, and showed prior to my visit, that Build 20282 is available. Not sure what is correct and up to date.

Hi BL. Hope I am understanding what you are asking. Version 20282 is newer than v20136. So if you entered your VIN in the Lincoln SYNC update website, and it shows that Build 20282 is available for your Navigator, then that is the latest version available for your Navigator. Download and install it via USB.

As far as comparing what a "new" Navigator in the lot has (v20136): That vehicle could have been sitting there for some time and/or simply built just before V20282 was released.

Few, if any Dealers will update SYNC on vehicles that are sitting in the lot. Perhaps if we ask them to do it when we purchase (although few new owners would know to do that), they would most likely update SYNC as a courtesy. But even when sold, most Dealers will not think or bother to do it as part of the vehicle prep process. Should they? Yes, in my opinion. But they won't. So it is up to us as owners to perform our due diligence and ask them to do it before purchasing, do it ourselves, or ask them to do it when we have our vehicles in for routine maintenance.

For those waiting for their vehicles to update via WiFi: You need to physically connect your vehicle to your home WIFi or another WiFi network, where your vehicle spends at least a half hour after it is turned off. After the vehicle has been turned off for 30 minutes, the vehicle stops downloading (battery protection). This information is in the Owners Manual.
In addition, the WiFi signal needs to be very strong where you vehicle is parked outside (or in your garage). A weak or fair signal does not seem to work well at all.
In other words, a Lincoln/Ford SYNC 3.0-3.4 vehicle will only download SYNC updates via WiFi while it is connected to a known WiFi network, with a strong signal, while the vehicle ignition is turned on or for up to 30 minutes after it is turned off.

When connected to a strong WiFi signal, WiFi updates can occur. However, the best way to perform SYNC updates is to download the update from the Lincoln SYNC update website and install it via USB.

Hope this helps and good luck.

bbf2530

I tried to do it manually with a USB for 20 minutes and I didn't get any notification.

H razzzy. Are you saying you "didn't get any notification" on your computer, while you were trying to download the update from the Lincoln SYNC 3 website to your computer?
Or are you saying you "didn't get any notification" from the SYNC screen while you were trying to download a SYNC 3 update into your car via USB?

razzzy

H razzzy. Are you saying you "didn't get any notification" on your computer, while you were trying to download the update from the Lincoln SYNC 3 website to your computer?
Or are you saying you "didn't get any notification" from the SYNC screen while you were trying to download a SYNC 3 update into your car via USB?
My USB is perfect. Put it into port, turned car on (running) for at least 20 minutes. I have no clue if it was taking the update or not. The car screen didn't say anything.

bbf2530

My USB is perfect. Put it into port, turned car on (running) for at least 20 minutes. I have no clue if it was taking the update or not. The car screen didn't say anything.

Hi razzzy. Not being there, it is difficult to diagnose a problem. And not sure what you mean by "My USB is perfect."

Is your vehicle equipped with SYNC 3.0 or SYNC 3.4? What update version are you attempting to install?

If you feel you unzipped and installed the files correctly, on a properly formatted USB drive, as directed by the Lincoln SYNC update website, the best advice that can be offered over the Internet would be to try the install again. And this time, let it install for at least 30 minutes.

This time, I would recommend doing it while on a drive, as opposed to leaving the car sitting in the driveway and running (unless you are sitting in it to observe while the installation is ongoing)

If that does not work, then I would recommend carefully re-reading the instructions and performing a fresh download of the SYNC update from the Lincoln SYNC update website, and a fresh formatting, unzipping and placement on the USB drive.

I advise that because in the end, we usually (but not always) find that SYNC updates via USB fail due to use error. This does not mean it is the case here for your problem, but experience shows that is usually is.

Your other option would be to ask your Dealer's Service Department to perform the update next time you have your vehicle in for service. If still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty, many/most Dealers will do it on a complementary basis.

Again, not saying your problem is user error, but we need to take all possibilities into consideration over the Internet.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

razzzy

Hi razzzy. Not being there, it is difficult to diagnose a problem. And not sure what you mean by "My USB is perfect."

Is your vehicle equipped with SYNC 3.0 or SYNC 3.4? What update version are you attempting to install?

If you feel you unzipped and installed the files correctly, on a properly formatted USB drive, as directed by the Lincoln SYNC update website, the best advice that can be offered over the Internet would be to try the install again. And this time, let it install for at least 30 minutes.

This time, I would recommend doing it while on a drive, as opposed to leaving the car sitting in the driveway and running (unless you are sitting in it to observe while the installation is ongoing)

If that does not work, then I would recommend carefully re-reading the instructions and performing a fresh download of the SYNC update from the Lincoln SYNC update website, and a fresh formatting, unzipping and placement on the USB drive.

I advise that because in the end, we usually (but not always) find that SYNC updates via USB fail due to use error. This does not mean it is the case here for your problem, but experience shows that is usually is.

Your other option would be to ask your Dealer's Service Department to perform the update next time you have your vehicle in for service. If still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Car Warranty, many/most Dealers will do it on a complementary basis.

Again, not saying your problem is user error, but we need to take all possibilities into consideration over the Internet.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
I have 3.0 , build 19205 and the site said I can update to SYNC3 v3.0.20204