Lincoln Forums Navigation:

SYNC 3 MAP updates? Where are they?

My 2017 Continental has maps from 2015. There is no option to get map updates at this time. This is not the way I thought this would go. I had a 2011 and 2014 MKZs and they had map updated every year. A friend on mine bought both a 2015 and a 2016 Flex both with Sync 3, neither of them have a map update available. The 2015 and 2016 flex gps have maps from 2014. I love every other feature of the SYNC 3 but the most important one is not being properly supported.
Interesting forum handle! Did you by chance at one time play online games? I had an associate with that handle and several variations of it, that I would group with from time to time.

tchjts1

Welcome to the Forum.

That site does not appear to require a sign-in (like the SYNC3 updates) to obtain the map information so it may not be ready yet. Lincoln put out a map info registration process where you provided your e-mail address to be notified when the maps process is ready. Seems no-one has received a notification yet. My dealer is in the dark on maps process also. GomezAddams has been very good to keep us informed of any progress, but nothing substantive yet.

Good luck.
Thanks for the responses. I called Lincoln navigation support this morning and the girl I spoke with really doesn't know anything either. She called our dealer directly to talk to them, but apparently it was lunch time. I didn't let her off the hook. I insisted that she call another dealer because she's tech support for this stuff and should have the answers. So she called the Ford dealer in the next town over to me (They don't sell Lincolns) and the guy apparently had at least some information. She told me that you have to take the vehicle in for them to get some specific information off of, and that they can then order a map update.

At this point, I am assuming that it is a "cost" item. My take on all of this is that we got a brand new 2017 MKZ. All systems should have been updated by the dealer prior to driving it off the lot, including Sync (Which was at V2.0) and Maps which is probably 3½ years old if I interpret maps version "NA 1 15" to mean "North America January 2015" correctly.

The only piece of information that seems to be constant is that it is the dealership who provides map updates to the Sync3 system. Unfortunately, they seem to be clueless.

Thread starter #43
The Lincoln Black Label Concierge called me back today as a follow up. I told them that my dealer was only aware of the V3.0 Sync 3 update. The dealer told me that the maps were updated in that update. He was wrong, only the map software was updated. The Concierge told me about Electronic Field Communication 06376, which is the dealer's information about how to update the map data on a Sync 3 system. She said she was going to send the information to the service manager of my dealer so he will have it when I go there on Tuesday May 15th. I will post again with the results of that visit. BTW the map versioning "1 15" is correct it is Jan 2015. A friend of mine has a 2016 Ford with map version "1 14" and he has not yet been able to get updated maps.

tchjts1

Ok... I have some information that may be of help. (Including screenshots :) )
Note that the website shown in the screenshots is only accessible by dealerships and not the general public.

The dealer ordered our update today. These are not free updates. However since we just purchased the vehicle new, they worked it into the overall deal. If we were to purchase this outright, it was going to cost $122.
If you are going to go through this process, they will need your VIN number and ESN number as they generate a license file that is specific to your vehicle.

If you know how to pull up your VIN number on your NAV display under "Settings" then "General", scroll down and select "Software versions" or similar and that will bring up a screen that shows your VIN, SYNC version and if you scroll further down, it will show your SYNC ESN.

They have three ordering options when acquiring procuring your update for you. I told the service person we need option 1, which is the map data file plus the license key.

The map update will come on a USB drive and will have the license key along with it. We are currently on NA 1 15, so not sure exactly what version they will get us up to. The website they check determines whether your vehicle is eligible for an upgrade as you can see in the attached screenshots. Forgive the poor quality of some of these as I was taking pictures of the service person's monitor. The one that is really bad has a more clear version below it, but just in a smaller shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0jgf3n63dqx5mp/MapsURL.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap13srw2bu8mfsc/MapsURLOverview.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9j007ozkkc214b/mapsclear.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nqie6yc8b3moc7/ESN.jpg

Last edited:

tchjts1

Further update: Although the system accepted our VIN and ESN number when initially ordering the update, when "Lincoln" entered the ESN number, their system showed that there were no available Map updates for this particular ESN. Oh well. Android and Maps it is.

Thread starter #49
I too went to my dealer and they insisted that I had the latest maps. The service manager said he would call their internal Sync support group. He did and he told me that I was right, I did not have the latest maps. I have map version 1 15. The Sync group told the dealer he could order a thumb drive with the updated maps on it and it would cost $122. But it is free for Black Label owners. He told me it would be a few days before he got the thumb drive. I am currently waiting for my dealer to call me to come in to have them put the new maps on my Sync 3.

tchjts1

The Sync group told the dealer he could order a thumb drive with the updated maps on it and it would cost $122. But it is free for Black Label owners. He told me it would be a few days before he got the thumb drive.
That is the exact same thing they told us, down to the dollar amount. However, when they went to enter the ESN number in the ordering process, the system said that there were no available updates. Also, our dealer called us today and told us that the map updates are free for 5 years and referred us tot he naviextras website.
It is just like the movie Groundhog Day.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML