Suspension etc, strut choice, trump bux 2007 Lincoln Town Car Suspension, Struts, Shocks, Front End

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

kenSwaizak

Hi all, my trip is delayed for one week so im two weeks out from today and have the bug to do some more work on my 07 Lincoln Town Car 130k bought 2 years ago w/ 106k. I have driven it off and on part time for work for the last 2 years with just oil changes and finally have the time to go balls deep in her. and Ive got some Trump bux burning a hole in my pocket.
In the last 48 hrs I did plugs (some asshole over torqued some bad looking champion plugs, i was sweating bullets for about 2 hours but it went OK), full trans flush (looks like 1st one on this 07 unfortunately it never felt quite right but really smoothed out feels new), diff fluid (looked decent), oil change, air filter :eek: and fuel filter.

Anyway, I also I ordered some rear socks, the KYBs, yes I am looking for a bit stiffer ride and maybe to save my 13 yr old air bags a little load...i have read some mixed reviews. If the rear end is low its just slightly low, as I understand this Lincoln Town Car was mostly a highway rig. It is actually set up with a full tow bar and hitch a previous owner towed a motorcycle. I will probably go to springs when these bags go out.

I was going to leave it alone there but now that I have more time considering doing the front struts. I am not going to touch any other hardware up front it all looks good ball joints, end links etc. And I have a relatively fresh alignment I dont want to mess with (although the shop would probably straighten me out gratis if i asked nicely).

i am just looking for general input and experience. should i do any thing else "while im in there" ?

my thoughts:
rear -
the KYB 555601 is listed as an "upgrade" .mistake to put in?
what about the gabriel 77955?

front -

MONOTUBE VS TWIN TUBE ?

OEM? god knows who makes the motrorcraft "OEM" and pricey $150 plus per
Moog, Gabriel, Monroe, KYB up front? The KYB strut up front looks to be sold separately from a spring?
Summit racing has their own brand for under $100
Detroit Axle brand on Amazon, discount, ~$80 per, good reviews
TRQ "police interceptor" ~$120 per

This will mostly be a highway use car. Long commutes.

Last edited:

kenSwaizak

I am kind of impressed w the summit racing units for $96 free shipping probably a coupon too.

Summit Racing® loaded strut assembly features:

* Twin-tube, nitrogen-charged design for better performance
* Consistent robotic TIG welds
* High-range -45 to +450 degree grease applied to all bearings
* Strut rod nuts are torqued to OE specs and retain the OE spring compression
* Phosphate finished and painted for corrosion resistance
* Chrome plated pistons for added life
* Neoprene strut boots included
* Rubber seat and bumper meet or exceed OEM specifications
* High-quality NOK seals
* Every unit is put through a 300,000-cycle durability test

wolf_walker

You mentioned the rear being low there, if this is still an airbag car, ride height is completely determined by the setting of the ride height
sensor which tells the bags to inflate or deflate. It's somewhat possible for body mounts to sag with age, but in general the rear sits the height
the sensor tells it. Ford has a special tool that fits on top of the axle and measures to the frame above it for adjusting.

kenSwaizak

You mentioned the rear being low there, if this is still an airbag car, ride height is completely determined by the setting of the ride height
sensor which tells the bags to inflate or deflate. It's somewhat possible for body mounts to sag with age, but in general the rear sits the height
the sensor tells it. Ford has a special tool that fits on top of the axle and measures to the frame above it for adjusting.

okay thanks WW, this was just me eyeing around with a caliper and such, i need to read more.

kenSwaizak

sorry no i just referenced something on an on line search and was messing around w some measurements. Probably meaningless as Ive been informed that ride height is adjustable, not sure if that is for both bags and springs, ill let u know if i find anything.

Clarke3

I am kind of impressed w the summit racing units for $96 free shipping probably a coupon too.

Summit Racing® loaded strut assembly features:

* Twin-tube, nitrogen-charged design for better performance
* Consistent robotic TIG welds
* High-range -45 to +450 degree grease applied to all bearings
* Strut rod nuts are torqued to OE specs and retain the OE spring compression
* Phosphate finished and painted for corrosion resistance
* Chrome plated pistons for added life
* Neoprene strut boots included
* Rubber seat and bumper meet or exceed OEM specifications
* High-quality NOK seals
* Every unit is put through a 300,000-cycle durability test
Did you purchase and install these? Do you love them?