Sunroof only opens 1 1/2 inches - 2003 Signature

EricHowat

My 2003 TC Signature has an issue with the sunroof and I’m not sure how to trouble shooting it yet. It vents, and closes correctly but when attempting to open it I am only getting about 1 1/2inchs of movement back before it looks like one side is binding and causing to stop. I don’t really have much experience on how the sunroof works on these cars and was wondering what the best steps to trouble shooting this are. Any help is appreciated!

lassetexan

Stockholm, Sweden
Do you have any emergency access to use a allen wrench to open/close the sunroof? I've an opening in the headliner where I can use a allen wrench to open the sunroof if the motor is bad.

Here is a picture how it look like....

EricHowat

Do you have any emergency access to use a allen wrench to open/close the sunroof? I've an opening in the headliner where I can use a allen wrench to open the sunroof if the motor is bad.

Here is a picture how it look like....
Yeah I popped mine off and I can’t really see anything outside of the motor itself. I’m wondering if there’s a worn out part or track on one side causing it to bind because it looks like it stops moving on the passenger side and causes it to bind to a stop. Every other direction works flawlessly outside of open.

EricHowat

It won’t move back with pressure either, I ended up using a hook-tool to run along the track that’s binding and did not find any issues. I’m not sure how the track works so looks like I have to wait until I get my shop manuals before I get too far into it.
Push it back with your hand , lube it, and see if that helps. Some light white grease or Kroil would help out

lassetexan

Stockholm, Sweden
Hope this can be some help

Attachments

• e3g~us~en~file=e3gen04b.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    27.5 KB · Views: 2
  • e3g~us~en~file=e3gen04c.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 2
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h001.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 2
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h002.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 2
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h003.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    239.4 KB · Views: 1
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h004.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 1
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h005.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    207.6 KB · Views: 1
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h006.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h007.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 1
  • s3g~us~en~file=s3g1h008.pdf~gen~ref.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 1

Jaskim06

My 2003 TC Signature has an issue with the sunroof and I’m not sure how to trouble shooting it yet. It vents, and closes correctly but when attempting to open it I am only getting about 1 1/2inchs of movement back before it looks like one side is binding and causing to stop. I don’t really have much experience on how the sunroof works on these cars and was wondering what the best steps to trouble shooting this are. Any help is appreciated!
Had the same issue. I ordered the parts to fix its broken plastic on the track. Dont try to open any more or it'll be open for good, well not for good but it's a bear to get back and seal properly and who needs that aggravation? Look close at track on side its binding. Mine was left side. I'm in process of moving back home after 5 months of hell in a hotel room stuck with 2 lil kids under 3! Because people had to smoke with oxygen. I will find the broke piece and my kit and send you a pic. After closer inspection mine has tiny cracks all over. Just old with age. As soon as I find it and unpack I'll post pic!! It's not a bad fix. Headliner does come down but it's not terrible job.

Jaskim06

I can't find the broken piece. My apts a mess with all this crap. But its the lift arm piece that broke my driver's side ill get my new pieces out of my trunk and show you on that what broke. My has small cracks all over the plastic track arms and lift arms. Mine will vent just fine. But no leaks!! Even after auto car wash!! But drivers is a lil lower and I can move it up and down. The Allen head is in middle of the round part of motor under the panel that the pic is up on this thread. Thank you so much lassetexan for the guide!!! Makes this job so much easier!! It may seem like alot to drop headliner but its really not. Just take your time and put screws and plastic tabs in bags. I was sent new rivets with my kit. I got mine from ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-115222_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-115222_Chrome.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 6

Jaskim06

You helped me tremendously!! I've looked and looked online for this info and as close as I got was a exploded diagram of sunroof. Thats all. Everyone wanted money and idk if it even had this info. Most repair manuals don't for some reason. Thank you!!
My Haynes manual don't even have sunroof or moonroof section in it!!

Jaskim06

Yes factory sunroof. I’m having trouble viewing the tracks to check for debris, how would you suggest doing so?
You gotta almost sit on the center armrest and get your head up against the roof. You will see the track and sliding mechanism. In front is the arms that vent and pop it up when it's closed. They pull double duty. Look very close with a good light. Mine has small cracks in the lift arms. If you look on top of glass push easily in 2 corners towards the back. Mine is drivers side. It's a tad bit low but Mine is broke. I pulled piece out and I think I put it in the new parts box. I will take a look soon and send you a pic so you get a clear idea what I'm talking about.

Jaskim06

Yes factory sunroof. I’m having trouble viewing the tracks to check for debris, how would you suggest doing so?
Youtube has a great video on a f150. Same thing and process to fix. You just search it and it'll pop up. It's a long video.

Jaskim06

It won’t move back with pressure either, I ended up using a hook-tool to run along the track that’s binding and did not find any issues. I’m not sure how the track works so looks like I have to wait until I get my shop manuals before I get too far into it.
I found it. In trunk. Here's the pice that's broken from factory rails. It holds up glass when it's shut at right level and holds glass against seal so no leaks. Here's new piece. The whole assembly. God I wish there was a way without taking headliner down but no matter what way you look at it it's gotta come down. Bonus though a great time to really clean and keep it looking new!!

Attachments

• 16202579945556202264478893020018.jpg
    16202579945556202264478893020018.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 16202581611519176796393522969769.jpg
    16202581611519176796393522969769.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2