Sudden harsh stop while backing out of garage...yikes!

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

HotrodLinkin

Happened twice now. Tight quarters backing out of 8 foot wide doorway. All the cameras and warning tones are active due to the close proximity of the car lift posts (I park under the lift) and the door jambs. I am very careful keeping an eye on the screen making sure car is centered. Out of nowhere I have experienced A sudden mechanical stop, as if I had backed into a wall or a big tree... very jarring. Only thing I can think of is it is speed related; like collision avoidance. I exit the car immediately and don't see anything at all. Your thoughts appreciated, and yes, I will have it checked out by dealer.

Corsart

Safety features working, check! It's a sensory issue, if the car detects something within a field of vision that it (mis) interprets as close enough to hit, it will apply the brakes. In your case as you approach the posts (which are close) it falsely believes those posts are in danger of being struck.

Try to be mindful when you pull in to center the car so when you back out, you go in a straight line and not turn the wheel, even slightly, which would bring you closer to the post and are in danger of whacking them.

Last edited:

HotrodLinkin

I hear you, like I said, I am very careful about backing out down the centerline. I couldn't go any slower too. What is odd is it is such a harsh/rigid stop. I think the brakes lock up completely and instantly, whereas the collision avoidance in a real life on the road situation is far more gradually applied. Anyone with a bad back or neck will feel it.

The system should be designed for owner specific setting, like so many other Nanny features. I will bet my next pension check no simulation test was performed for movement between two car lift steel posts in close proximity.

Corsart

I hear you, like I said, I am very careful about backing out down the centerline. I couldn't go any slower too. What is odd is it is such a harsh/rigid stop. I think the brakes lock up completely and instantly, whereas the collision avoidance in a real life on the road situation is far more gradually applied. Anyone with a bad back or neck will feel it.

The system should be designed for owner specific setting, like so many other Nanny features. I will bet my next pension check no simulation test was performed for movement between two car lift steel posts in close proximity.
Agree completely about some of the nanny features. I don't need my car to tell me to take a break, has yours done that yet?

The point of collision avoidance, though, is to take over and do what is necessary to prevent a crash. So, if the car senses something suddenly coming into the cars path, it will apply the brakes in whatever manner it determines is required to prevent collision. In your case, as the car backs out and approaches the posts, it senses imminent danger, so it forcefully applies the brakes. IDK what you can do with that, you can bring it up to service and see if there's an adjustment.

Alternately..and this might seem ridiculous...you can try applying different things to the posts in the hope of "tricking" the car into not seeing them, like reflective tape, etc.

As an FWIW, I know your situation bc I have a 4 post lift in my garage which intrudes closer to the cars, so I understand how the car can misinterpret this.

HotrodLinkin

That is a good idea. I have 9.5 inches clearance on both sides of the car body at the lift posts. Minus an additional 3 inches considering the closed mirrors. So, it gets tight halfway out the doorway. This is why I move so slowly. I could see an issue if I was rolling fast, but why trigger a shutdown just creeping along? Can you say 'bad algorithm'?