Sudden harsh stop while backing out of garage...yikes!

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

HotrodLinkin

Happened twice now. Tight quarters backing out of 8 foot wide doorway. All the cameras and warning tones are active due to the close proximity of the car lift posts (I park under the lift) and the door jambs. I am very careful keeping an eye on the screen making sure car is centered. Out of nowhere I have experienced A sudden mechanical stop, as if I had backed into a wall or a big tree... very jarring. Only thing I can think of is it is speed related; like collision avoidance. I exit the car immediately and don't see anything at all. Your thoughts appreciated, and yes, I will have it checked out by dealer.

Corsart

Safety features working, check! It's a sensory issue, if the car detects something within a field of vision that it (mis) interprets as close enough to hit, it will apply the brakes. In your case as you approach the posts (which are close) it falsely believes those posts are in danger of being struck.

Try to be mindful when you pull in to center the car so when you back out, you go in a straight line and not turn the wheel, even slightly, which would bring you closer to the post and are in danger of whacking them.

Last edited:

HotrodLinkin

I hear you, like I said, I am very careful about backing out down the centerline. I couldn't go any slower too. What is odd is it is such a harsh/rigid stop. I think the brakes lock up completely and instantly, whereas the collision avoidance in a real life on the road situation is far more gradually applied. Anyone with a bad back or neck will feel it.

The system should be designed for owner specific setting, like so many other Nanny features. I will bet my next pension check no simulation test was performed for movement between two car lift steel posts in close proximity.

Corsart

I hear you, like I said, I am very careful about backing out down the centerline. I couldn't go any slower too. What is odd is it is such a harsh/rigid stop. I think the brakes lock up completely and instantly, whereas the collision avoidance in a real life on the road situation is far more gradually applied. Anyone with a bad back or neck will feel it.

The system should be designed for owner specific setting, like so many other Nanny features. I will bet my next pension check no simulation test was performed for movement between two car lift steel posts in close proximity.
Agree completely about some of the nanny features. I don't need my car to tell me to take a break, has yours done that yet?

The point of collision avoidance, though, is to take over and do what is necessary to prevent a crash. So, if the car senses something suddenly coming into the cars path, it will apply the brakes in whatever manner it determines is required to prevent collision. In your case, as the car backs out and approaches the posts, it senses imminent danger, so it forcefully applies the brakes. IDK what you can do with that, you can bring it up to service and see if there's an adjustment.

Alternately..and this might seem ridiculous...you can try applying different things to the posts in the hope of "tricking" the car into not seeing them, like reflective tape, etc.

As an FWIW, I know your situation bc I have a 4 post lift in my garage which intrudes closer to the cars, so I understand how the car can misinterpret this.

HotrodLinkin

That is a good idea. I have 9.5 inches clearance on both sides of the car body at the lift posts. Minus an additional 3 inches considering the closed mirrors. So, it gets tight halfway out the doorway. This is why I move so slowly. I could see an issue if I was rolling fast, but why trigger a shutdown just creeping along? Can you say 'bad algorithm'?

syl

Mine's done that a couple of times as well: once to stop me hitting a (rather large, but really) snowflake, and once to stop me backing over a leaf (from a tree, not the electric Nissan thing) in my driveway. I don't have a lift in my garage, but it *is* (very) tight quarters. I simply turn off the braking assist (one touch on the screen when the rear-view camera is on) when backing into the garage.

Do you really use the camera for backing? I don't think I could *not* use the mirrors ... Looking at the screen just makes me nervous, though I glance at it in public parking lots to be sure it's clear behind.

HotrodLinkin

Hi Syl. Yes, it is a must to fold in the mirrors before entering the garage, and keep them closed until I clear the opening backing out. If not the mirror clearance on each side at the posts is reduced to 5-6 inches. And that requires I be dead center which is not always the case.

I need to look into that braking assist feature, thanks for the advice.

syl

Hi Syl. Yes, it is a must to fold in the mirrors before entering the garage, and keep them closed until I clear the opening backing out. If not the mirror clearance on each side at the posts is reduced to 5-6 inches. And that requires I be dead center which is not always the case.
On the one hand, I wish I had a lift in my garage (I simply don't have suffucuent space, so I make do with jack and stands, and recently got a set of Quickjacks, which will completely redefine how easy it is to work on the car!), but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to have to deal with the posts on a daily basis, so it's probably best.
I need to look into that braking assist feature, thanks for the advice.
If you're backing out from a cold-start, it might be a few moments before the screen wakes up sufficiently to show it. Once you touch to turn it off, you'll hear the violins one time, then the car will be silent, and won't stop suddenly.

Check to see if the same thing happens, when you back into the garage.
I had the 'sudden stop' happen twice while backing up. I back into my garage bay but wasn't even close to the actual garage door opening. My heart stopped! Almost sick! Stopped, got out, went to the back but knew I hadn't hit anything. My Corsair Reserve has all the security/avoidance features.

Mine's done that a couple of times as well: once to stop me hitting a (rather large, but really) snowflake, and once to stop me backing over a leaf (from a tree, not the electric Nissan thing) in my driveway. I don't have a lift in my garage, but it *is* (very) tight quarters. I simply turn off the braking assist (one touch on the screen when the rear-view camera is on) when backing into the garage.

Do you really use the camera for backing? I don't think I could *not* use the mirrors ... Looking at the screen just makes me nervous, though I glance at it in public parking lots to be sure it's clear behind.
I don't use the back up camera when backing into my garage bay. Always, use the mirrors. Just me.

syl

I had the 'sudden stop' happen twice while backing up. I back into my garage bay but wasn't even close to the actual garage door opening. My heart stopped! Almost sick! Stopped, got out, went to the back but knew I hadn't hit anything. My Corsair Reserve has all the security/avoidance features.
My reaction, when it has (falsely) triggered was very similar. You have a moment of "what on earth could I possibly have just hit???" then you realize that you didn't hit, but the car thought you were going to. It was a *leaf*, car! On the ground! Dead already!"

I turn the feature off when backing into the garage at home, and when backing to a trailer, because the car thinks that's an impending collision too ... Otherwise I leave it on, because I don't want to be in a situation where I wish I *hadn't* turned it off ...

My reaction, when it has (falsely) triggered was very similar. You have a moment of "what on earth could I possibly have just hit???" then you realize that you didn't hit, but the car thought you were going to. It was a *leaf*, car! On the ground! Dead already!"

I turn the feature off when backing into the garage at home, and when backing to a trailer, because the car thinks that's an impending collision too ... Otherwise I leave it on, because I don't want to be in a situation where I wish I *hadn't* turned it off ...
Thank you for your reply! I knew I hadn't hit anything. Garage door opening was clear, inside the bay is always clear, nothing impeding the circumference at the back of the car. I hope it never happens again but I'll look to see if a leaf or something blew in. Thanks!

HotrodLinkin

I can see it now.... Lincoln customer's wife sues auto maker for husband's death by heart attack caused by collision warning feature activation in perfectly safe conditions. Root cause that triggered abrupt stop was determined to be a dead leaf. 😂

Happened twice now. Tight quarters backing out of 8 foot wide doorway. All the cameras and warning tones are active due to the close proximity of the car lift posts (I park under the lift) and the door jambs. I am very careful keeping an eye on the screen making sure car is centered. Out of nowhere I have experienced A sudden mechanical stop, as if I had backed into a wall or a big tree... very jarring. Only thing I can think of is it is speed related; like collision avoidance. I exit the car immediately and don't see anything at all. Your thoughts appreciated, and yes, I will have it checked out by dealer.
I had this happen again yesterday. 07/27/21. 4th time total. I back into my garage bay. I was 4ft from door opening. No debris on driveway, nothing absolutely nothing, nada was in my camera view. It stopped me cold as you know. That sick feeling falls over you and the vehicle stops like you hit a wall! After I stopped the car, getting out and checking, I recovered.....slowly. Drove forward to get my bearings/make sure my stomach is not in my throat before backing up again. No problem , continued backing up, usual/normal beeps with 360 collision avoidance cameras. I've seen other posts concerning this but no solutions. WHAT is causing this???