strutmaster spring kit

Double G

I said i would come back and let you guy's know about this kit. It doe's not sag like some of the other kits. As a matter of fact it sits a little high but strutmasters said over time it would settle in to pretty much ride height. The shocks are good also. My car rides pretty much like it did, so far and i am happy with it right now. It say's i have to plug the rear air lines and turn the switch in the trunk back on. But i haven't got that far yet. I just left the switch off till i finish everything in the directions. There are some wires i have to mess with also. Must be to satisfy the computer so i don't have warnings on the dash. If you are familiar with what to do with these kits, chime in. The car is a 1998 Lincoln Continental, peal white.

Big Old Boy

I had my 98 done at a shop and it rides better than with the air ride. Only problem now is I still need air shocks I have an electric handicap scooter and when I carry it on the rear rack the car sits to low.

Double G

I have the strutmaster springs which is made from cold roll steel instead of the ones they sell on ebay, which are heated red hot to make them, which makes them weaker and will sag more than the cold rolled ones, but iv'e heard that you can add air shocks to help the springs hold up. strutmaster springs are made in the USA. I'll find out how good mine are when i add some weight to the rear of the car.

flaokie

I put Strutmaster coil springs on my '02 Continental awhile back.
I noticed the ride was as good as it was with the air springs, with the exception that there is slightly more kick back when going over sharp bumps.
I don't know how the '98s are set up – they may be different than my '02, but FWIW, this is what I did.

After putting in the springs, I left the compressor in place and plugged in, along with the solenoids and ride height sensor, which I tie-wrapped to the underneath of the car.
As long as the computer sees all the components are in place it is happy.
I was getting check air ride error messages and was just clearing it with the reset button.

I finally got around to adjusting (manually) the ride height sensor. When I finally got it in the right place, the computer thinks everything is OK and I get no error messages.
I did this in lieu of cutting into the wiring under the rear seat.

My car is 100% original, and I wanted to keep it so it could be changed back to air springs.
Again, on the '02, the wiring modification involves a complete disconnect of the dynamic vehicle module (ride computer) from the computer data bus, and wiring 12VDC to the power steering solenoid and rewiring a couple of ground wires. Not a difficult job. The 12 VDC to the PS solenoid eliminates the ability to change the steering effort, as the solenoid can no longer be cycled by the ride computer.
As I recall, you will only have the “plush” setting – no heavier “sport” steering.

Double G

Yeah, my 98 i think, is the same kit as yours because it says 95-2002. I did not want to mess with the wiring on mine either and wanted to leave it stock also. Thanks for the info on the ride height sensor, i think i will try to adjust mine and see if it works on my 98. Did you raise the height sensor or lower it?

Last edited:

flaokie

If you have the '98 service manual, it should give you the distance between the mounting ball studs.
If you don't a CD version can be had for cheap on ebay - not a bad idea if you are trying to keep and older car running.

HTML