• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Strange Happenings

MisterBassMan

I own a 2004 Town Car Ultimate last week while driving the car felt like it was not getting gas after about a mile the service engine soon light came on and started flashing as i drove. When i cut the car off and restarted it the light never came back on so i got the car back home and put the scan tool on it and got the codes C 1123 and B1676 C code is speed sensor failure the b code is Battery voltage out of range the car has 64'876 miles and drove great for the five years i owned it.Called Car Max Service and told them the problem to get it fixed the tech that worked on my car said the car died on him twice while trying to diagnose the problem told him the car never did that to me so the service guy says that they took my battery out to charge it cause they think it has a dead cell in it two hours later i left the car to be repaired.Two days later got a call to pick up the car and was told that they replaced the fuel pump because it was going bad i said why did you do that when it was a speed sensor that needed replacing.The tech says that the car has no codes in the computer i guess it dont if you took my battery out for two hours and you call yourself a tech.Going to get my car and replace the sensor myself like i should of done in the first place.

bbf2530

I own a 2004 Town Car Ultimate last week while driving the car felt like it was not getting gas after about a mile the service engine soon light came on and started flashing as i drove. When i cut the car off and restarted it the light never came back on so i got the car back home and put the scan tool on it and got the codes C 1123 and B1676 C code is speed sensor failure the b code is Battery voltage out of range the car has 64'876 miles and drove great for the five years i owned it.Called Car Max Service and told them the problem to get it fixed the tech that worked on my car said the car died on him twice while trying to diagnose the problem told him the car never did that to me so the service guy says that they took my battery out to charge it cause they think it has a dead cell in it two hours later i left the car to be repaired.Two days later got a call to pick up the car and was told that they replaced the fuel pump because it was going bad i said why did you do that when it was a speed sensor that needed replacing.The tech says that the car has no codes in the computer i guess it dont if you took my battery out for two hours and you call yourself a tech.Going to get my car and replace the sensor myself like i should of done in the first place.
Hi Misterbass. First, how long have you owned this car? It sounds as though you just purchased it, but you do not really state it clearly anywhere that I noticed. Is it still covered under some sort of warranty by "Car Max Service", or is that just where you took it for diagnosis and repairs?

Next, you do not mention whether the car is operating correctly after the fuel pump and battery were replaced and whether it is operating correctly now, only that you complained about the work they did. Is the problem corrected? If it is operating correctly, then perhaps the fuel pump was the issue. DTC codes only point in the right direction. They do not necessarily pinpoint one specific problem or part. If your car is still not operating correctly, then have them repair it again.

Next, at least for me, it would be much easier to understand what you are saying, and try to offer advice, if you type your post more clearly, instead of one giant block of words with no spaces between sentences.

Give us an update and good luck.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hi, MisterBassMan.

So, you owned and drove your car for five years without major mechanical problems before this. Had you been taking the car to "Car Max Service" for repairs or service prior to this?

Also, like one or two other posters have asked, have the problems gone away? Or, is the car still acting up?

Thanks.

bbf2530

Hi, MisterBassMan.

So, you owned and drove your car for five years without major mechanical problems before this. Had you been taking the car to "Car Max Service" for repairs or service prior to this?

Also, like one or two other posters have asked, have the problems gone away? Or, is the car still acting up?

Thanks.
Hi Brian. Thanks for pointing out Misterbass has owned the car for 5 years. Missed that when I read it over..several times...lol

Advancing age and brain clouds.

Well, that answers the "How long have you owned this car" and possibly answers the "Is there any type of warranty from Car Max Service" questions.

MisterBassMan

Hi Misterbass. First, how long have you owned this car? It sounds as though you just purchased it, but you do not really state it clearly anywhere that I noticed. Is it still covered under some sort of warranty by "Car Max Service", or is that just where you took it for diagnosis and repairs?

Next, you do not mention whether the car is operating correctly after the fuel pump and battery were replaced and whether it is operating correctly now, only that you complained about the work they did. Is the problem corrected? If it is operating correctly, then perhaps the fuel pump was the issue. DTC codes only point in the right direction. They do not necessarily pinpoint one specific problem or part. If your car is still not operating correctly, then have them repair it again.

Next, at least for me, it would be much easier to understand what you are saying, and try to offer advice, if you type your post more clearly, instead of one giant block of words with no spaces between sentences.

Give us an update and good luck.
I have owned the car for five years and yes it is still under warranty through Carmax. The car was still not operating after the new fuel pump install and i refused to take it until they fix it. And my question was do you think that a car that ran perfectly before the service engine soon light came on and gave the Codes C 1123 Vehicle speed sensor failure and B Battery voltage out of range required a fuel pump change the car only has 64'889 miles on it. And i also noticed the temperature gauge was erratic when before it never moved past the half way mark i drive this car maybe 6 miles three days a week

MisterBassMan

Hi Brian. Thanks for pointing out Misterbass has owned the car for 5 years. Missed that when I read it over..several times...lol

Advancing age and brain clouds.

Well, that answers the "How long have you owned this car" and possibly answers the "Is there any type of warranty from Car Max Service" questions.
My car is serviced when required i don't always go to Carmax for service my car has an extended warranty through car max so that's the reason i took it to them if i was'nt disabled i would have changed it myself

bbf2530

My car is serviced when required i don't always go to Carmax for service my car has an extended warranty through car max so that's the reason i took it to them if i was'nt disabled i would have changed it myself

Hi MisterBass. Is it possible? Yes. What if anything has Car Max told you since your previous updates?

It is also possible that the fuel pump was failing and the car still has separate issues relating to the DTC and battery. Car Max has their hands on your car and we don't, so at this point my best advice would be to use the warranty and let Car Max repair your car correctly.

Check with Car Max and keep us updated. Good luck.

MisterBassMan

Hi MisterBass. Is it possible? Yes. What if anything has Car Max told you since your previous updates?

It is also possible that the fuel pump was failing and the car still has separate issues relating to the DTC and battery. Car Max has their hands on your car and we don't, so at this point my best advice would be to use the warranty and let Car Max repair your car correctly.

Got a call today from CarMax about my car on Friday i sent them pictures via text messages of the diagnoses of my car and they said that after reviewing the pics that they will check the further and get back to me thanks for

Attachments

estreet7

I changed the Speed sensor, battery was bad also with low voltage so the company I got it from replaced it! Still coding Speed Sensor failure? Does your Park assist Module work ok? Going to replace my sensors that don't work! Sometimes codes aren't exactly where the problem is? I'll see after I change my PAM sensors.

wolf_walker

I've had a speed sensor code that I can't remember what specifically is, think it references the message center or something like that, on my 04 Ultimate for the last 20K miles, everything works, runs fine, etc. Nobody could ever explain it. Suspect it's related to the backup assist that only works when it's cold enough out. Everything else is fine and works as it should. This code does not set the CEL on mine.

Both your codes are ABS related, you'd think the car would run and drive ok save for the ABS and traction control being disabled maybe.
If a fresh sensor (there are three or four, did you replace them all?) and a fresh battery did not straighten it out I'd guess the ABS module or control unit or a wiring fault are happening. Not every fault sets a code too....

MisterBassMan

Sorry that i am just replying back i picked my car up from car Max but before i took it i had the tech test drive it with me before i took it it drove ok still had a very slight hesitation that went away after a few drives. They Found a faulty luggage compartment lid module and recommended replacement also checked Trim/Body and diagnosed antilock brake malfunction-operation

Attachments

MisterBassMan

I've had a speed sensor code that I can't remember what specifically is, think it references the message center or something like that, on my 04 Ultimate for the last 20K miles, everything works, runs fine, etc. Nobody could ever explain it. Suspect it's related to the backup assist that only works when it's cold enough out. Everything else is fine and works as it should. This code does not set the CEL on mine.

Both your codes are ABS related, you'd think the car would run and drive ok save for the ABS and traction control being disabled maybe.
If a fresh sensor (there are three or four, did you replace them all?) and a fresh battery did not straighten it out I'd guess the ABS module or control unit or a wiring fault are happening. Not every fault sets a code too....
Sorry that i am just replying back i picked my car up from car Max but before i took it i had the tech test drive it with me before i took it it drove ok still had a very slight hesitation that went away after a few drives. They Found a faulty luggage compartment lid module and recommended replacement also checked Trim/Body and diagnosed antilock brake malfunction-operation

Attachments

MisterBassMan

Attachments

MisterBassMan

I changed the Speed sensor, battery was bad also with low voltage so the company I got it from replaced it! Still coding Speed Sensor failure? Does your Park assist Module work ok? Going to replace my sensors that don't work! Sometimes codes aren't exactly where the problem is? I'll see after I change my PAM sensors.

Attachments

HTML