Sticky brakes 2008 TC 50k miles

joe1234

Hi all,

I suspect that my 2008 TC (50k miles) brakes are sticking a bit. I just replaced the front left caliper because it overheated. I keep the old pads which were around 50% worn on all 4 wheels.

When taking my foot off the accelerator pedal the car seems to decelerate faster than normal. I drove the car yesterday in 20 deg. F temps and all 4 rotors were warm to the touch with very little braking, usually they are not so warm. However, all the calipers were cold to the touch which is a good sign for the short term. I am wondering if the master brake cylinder is a possible culprit and needs replaced. I was thinking of disabling the traction control system because it is simple press of a button and hopefully rule this feature out.

Thanks.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

The traction control only works on the rear brakes and engine power, so disabling will not affect the front brakes. The traction control is switched back on at every key on cycle.

The rotors do get warm to the touch, but that should not be a problem if the caliper and wheel are not also warm. The caliper is a fixed unit where the pads move in and out on pins that must be clean and lubricated with high temp brake grease. If the pins are not lubricated properly and timely then the pads will stick and not release properly. The fixed side wearing more than the piston side. Sticky pistons may also cause brakes to stay applied, but the piston side pad wears more. There are stainless steel springs located between pads and caliper that are lubricated and could cause sticking brakes if dried out.

I don't think the master cylinder would be the cause of sticking brakes. When brake pedal pressure is released the line pressure is immediately released. Nothing in the parts to hold pressure in the line.

Try parking your car on a slight down grade and release the brakes in neutral and it should roll down the grade. What tire pressures are in your tires since low pressure will increase drag. Is your parking brake fully releasing since cables can get sticky and hold the parking brake applied. Does your parking brake hold the car when applied. The suspension alignment particularly (toe-in) can be affected by potholes or a touch to a kerb. Are your wheel bearings noisy.

joe1234

Update: I just replaced my master brake cylinder and the problem didn't go away, brakes are too hot, even on a newly replaced front caliper.

Now that the temperature is 70 deg. F the brake rotors are definitely too hot. The newly replaced front driver side caliper and both the rear calipers are hot, but not burning hot. The (factory) front passenger side caliper is really hot and has a little burning smell.

I am now thinking of replacing the brake power booster. I never had a bad power booster and don't know if this a common failure (all brakes too hot). The booster appears to be holding a vacuum without any leaks. I also placed the pedal height adjustment so it is not at the end of its travel limit.

Edit: After a little more research, the problem may be a bad flexible brake lines. The flex hoses can collapse after awhile and act like a check valve. I'll check the flex hoses out tomorrow, here is one video example.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML