(solved) help! exhaust cam stuck!

kevinfish

Nevermind! I got it (after rapping on both end with a hammer and prying it out with a pry-bar :\

Hey guys. I got the LS with the rattle. It turns out it WAS the secondary tensioner on the driver's side. I've got the cam covers both off and I took all 5 cam caps off the exhaust cam and for the life of me I can't lift up the cam! The journals look clean. It wasn't seized. I'm afraid to pry too hard for fear of breaking the head. Any ideas?

Last edited:

don-ohio

Have you had your oil pressure checked? Also,always use an oil that is 5W-20 or 30, but never 10W -20 or 30.
It was explained to me that you need the thinner oil to get thru small passages and I believe it had to do with the cams oil passages.
I would ONLY use full synthetic myself. I have never had a problem in either my V-6 or V-8 with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Also use a Motorcraft filter. No FRAMS.

kevinfish

Have you had your oil pressure checked? Also,always use an oil that is 5W-20 or 30, but never 10W -20 or 30.
It was explained to me that you need the thinner oil to get thru small passages and I believe it had to do with the cams oil passages.
I would ONLY use full synthetic myself. I have never had a problem in either my V-6 or V-8 with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Also use a Motorcraft filter. No FRAMS.

No, I haven't checked it. All the journals looked clean. I haven't gotten any idiot lights or trouble codes regarding oil pressure. Thanks for the oil recommendation.

The car has almost 150k miles on it. Do you think there would be anything wrong with using mobil1 0w-40? I've used that with great success with the horrible Chrysler 2.7L "sludge monster." From what I've read, the factory suggested thinner oil but that was only to meet the fuel economy standards (nothing to do with actually preserving the engine). This oil is one of the best for standing up to the heat and shearing of modern high performance engines, especially that have a lot of cam chains.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML