Smelling burred oil..which cover should i do?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

Not that anyone really cares, but I figured I’d share what I’ve been dealing with the last week and a half. Last Sunday when I got up, my right knee was bothering me. The Thursday prior I had been running around just fine at the company picnic. Friday there was no issues as I did a bunch of errands. Saturday was a pretty laid back day, and again my knee was A-okay. Sunday the wife and I got up and headed out the door to spend a few days in VA Beach. When I woke up my knee was bothering me, and as we drove it continued to get worse. It was pretty swollen, uncomfortable, and occasionally painful. By the end of the day my knee was twice the size at it should be.

After three/four days of wrapping it, icing it, and hobbling around with a walking stick with no improvement, I figured I should go ahead and get a doctor involved. By this point the joint was so swollen that it was tough, and felt like touching muscle as opposed to fluid. :eek: I went to my orthopedic doctor Thursday morning, but she found nothing wrong in the X-rays. I got blood work the same day, then an MRI on Saturday. She also prescribed an anti-inflammatory.

Today I went back in, and she had the results. I don’t have Lyme disease and the entire blood test was negative. The MRI showed that all of my ligaments are in good shape, which is reassuring. Unfortunately that told me what wasn’t wrong, not what the actual problem is. She believes it is arthritis flared up. For those of you unfamiliar, I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail in 2005…that’s 2,175 miles in less than six months. I went to this same doctor after my walk, about November of 2005. She found that from my waist down I’m looking at arthritis, bursitis, bakers’ cysts, and more. That wasn’t a huge surprise, as I was pretty rough on myself even before I went for my long walk, and not to mention the family history that reflects poor joint health. The down side is that I now have to worry about arthritis kicking my tail at the ripe old age of 23. :nono:

She did offer to drain the fluid. Being the great doctor that she is, she didn’t force it on me; she left me to decide, and I didn’t even have to figure it out today. Since the drugs haven’t necessarily come into full affect, she suggested that I could wait it out and hopefully it would take out the swelling eventually. After I asked several specific questions, she did finally admit to me that draining the knee would not only be a great relief, but also allow for the fluid to be sent off and examined, and was my best option…and so that’s what we did.

Here are a few pictures of it. The pictures of my knee are from after the draining. It now actually feels like a “regular” swollen joint, not rock hard like it was before. She pulled a little over half of the fluid out. Apparently pulling much more would have started causing me a lot more pain. It feels better, and the knee is about half of the size it was this morning. She removed about 55mL out of me, and I took it to the lab to hopefully get some answers. Some of the pictures are overexposed, which helps to accentuate the swollen area for better viewing. It’s not really anything gross, at least compared to 95% of the content on the internet. ;)

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

jsev22

About my knee...

Shit Josh, imagine if this had happened in the middle of nowhere on your hike :shocked:

Lol at your link hotrod :lol:

danistanggt

About my knee...

oh man josh.. take care of it cause you don\'t want to go thru what i have. my right knee is bone on bone and i can\'t afford to get it fixed. it eventually took out my left hip after about 10 years. it is not much fun and makes it really hard to get around and go to car shows and stuff...

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

[quote name=\'jsev22\']Shit Josh, imagine if this had happened in the middle of nowhere on your hike :shocked:

Lol at your link hotrod :lol:[/QUOTE]

Kinda like when my father hyper-compressed his right outside of Great Barington? If you hadn\'t been there we probably would have had to go home...again. :freak:

imported_Charlie

About my knee...

My sister has a lot of knee problems. Thankfully, I don\'t have any of them. Sometimes in the morning I am a little stiff when I get up and start walking. I have to hobble.

P.S. Those pictures may not be a gross as most things on the internet. But, they still grossed me out. I\'m sorry this is happening to you. I\'d check out around the internet and see if there are exercises of special vitamins/foods you can eat to slow down the progress of this arthritis.

BECG

About my knee...

I feel ya. Looks like mine on a bad day too. Arthritis is a bitch! Try the cortisone shots.. they work for about 3 mnoths at a time! :yesyes:

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

[quote name=\'Charlie\']My sister has a lot of knee problems. Thankfully, I don\'t have any of them. Sometimes in the morning I am a little stiff when I get up and start walking. I have to hobble.

P.S. Those pictures may not be a gross as most things on the internet. But, they still grossed me out. I\'m sorry this is happening to you. I\'d check out around the internet and see if there are exercises of special vitamins/foods you can eat to slow down the progress of this arthritis.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the gross factor. I tried to give a little warning about that. ;) I\'m taking glucosamine, a multi-vitamin, and exercising in such a way to keep my joints as strong as possible. I\'m hoping that those will help fend off any major issues for awhile.

[quote name=\'NYC LSC\']Suck it up!! You have another knee!!!

:D[/QUOTE]

lol, up until this happened my right knee was the good one of the pair! Don\'t think that I\'m complaining, though. It\'s definitely just a hurdle (bad joke), and there are plenty of folks out there worse off than I am. I\'m grateful just to be able to walk, honestly. :cheers:

jsev22

About my knee...

[quote name=\'JoshMcMadMac\']Kinda like when my father hyper-compressed his right outside of Great Barington? If you hadn\'t been there we probably would have had to go home...again. :freak:[/QUOTE]

I\'m still in awe that he recovered from that! When I first saw him I thought \"No way is he going any further\". I\'m honored to have been part of your adventure...... :bowdown:

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

[quote name=\'jsev22\']I\'m still in awe that he recovered from that! When I first saw him I thought \"No way is he going any further\". I\'m honored to have been part of your adventure...... :bowdown:[/QUOTE]

lol, you\'re welcome. We McAlisters are a tough clan, I can say that much...if nothing else stubborn. :cool:

NYC LS8

About my knee...

So I bet you\'re glad you converted the VII to stick now, eh? lol

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

[quote name=\'NYC LSC\']So I bet you\'re glad you converted the VII to stick now, eh? lol[/QUOTE]

lol, luckily we have three vehicles in the driveway and only the VII is a manual. Since the right knee is messed up and the left knee works the clutch, I manage to drive it alright. The knee is recovering quickly now, thanks to the draining and the cortisone the doctor stuff in there. We\'ll see how it does with driving about five hours tomorrow. :dead:

imported_Charlie

About my knee...

I had a friend in high school that broke his left leg in football. He still managed to drive a stick. He would push the clutch down with his right foot, then put his left leg on it. To start moving he would just lean over to allow the clutch to come up slowly. Once moving he would just take his right foot off the gas and use it to push in the clutch, shift, then put his right foot on the gas again. To stop he would push the clutch in with his right foot, pop the car out of gear , then brake normally. I\'m not sure this would work so well in big city driving.

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

I guess it is about time for an update. About a month and a half after that doctor drained my knee and shot Cortizone in there the swelling came back full-force. That month and a half was nice, though; the knee was acting better than new! I tried to get an appointment with the doctor again, but she was booked for about three weeks. I wasn’t about to wait that long, and figured I was about due for a second opinion anyway, so I went to go see the same doctor that did some work on my father recently. This guy was so much better it amazed me. He actually examined the MRI’s, talked to me about it, and figured things out. He found no signs of arthritis, figured out that there is a cyst in my left knee that is the source of my pain there, but could only give what I would consider an “educated guess” on my right knee. It boiled down to arthroscopic surgery, which I really wasn’t too keen on, but ultimately had little other choice at that point. Something about the doctor digging around in my knee in search of a problem he cannot identify just does not bode well with me.

Monday I went in for surgery, and sure enough he cleaned up a few things in my knee that matched the symptoms I was having. Luckily for me the repairs were not serious enough to take me off of my feet for the next six months, which he warned me was a serious possibility. I’m actually back on my feet, and although the knee hurts for now I honestly believe it will be better once I recover. I’ve attached a handful of pictures, and they aren’t anything gross, but if you wish not to see stitches or a swollen knee, you should probably stop here. The first two are from the camera phone of them shaving my knee. That was weird. The rest of the photos are from 72 hours after the surgery, which was when I was first allowed to remove the stock and bandages.

IMAGE_009.jpg

IMAGE_010.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

Potato

About my knee...

I shouldn\'t have looked at this.... I got see the ortho surgeon this thursday about my right knee. Hopefully mine turns out to be as well as your\'s but I don\'t think that will be the case

V IS FOR VODKA

About my knee...

Love the hat :p

I am glad as of the time being, my knees are great. Its my lower back and a nerve problem that sucks for me. I am the same age as you, so don\'t feel to bad about having a bum knee.

imported_Charlie

About my knee...

The hair growing back in will probley itch as much as the stitches. lol

JoshMcMadMac

About my knee...

[quote name=\'Potato\']I shouldn\'t have looked at this.... I got see the ortho surgeon this thursday about my right knee. Hopefully mine turns out to be as well as your\'s but I don\'t think that will be the case[/QUOTE]

It\'s not that bad. I\'ve heard a lot of people say that they\'ll never do it again, but honestly if you just suck it up you realize that it could be a very worse experience. Just stay positive, and remember that you\'re lucky enough to be actually fixing a major problem.

[quote name=\'V IS FOR VODKA\']Love the hat :p

I am glad as of the time being, my knees are great. Its my lower back and a nerve problem that sucks for me. I am the same age as you, so don\'t feel to bad about having a bum knee.[/QUOTE]

That hair net was pimp...and I forgot that I was wearing it, lol. Sorry about the back issues, but I can relate as my wife is probably in worse shape with her back/neck/shoulder injuries. I never believed in chiropractors, but if you find a good one and a good masseuse you\'ll probably get fixed.

[quote name=\'Charlie\']The hair growing back in will probley itch as much as the stitches. lol[/QUOTE]

lol, all my father did was laugh at me about the shaving...although when they did his shoulder they shaved the poor mans armpit! :freak: Luckily they use a clipper thing, so it doesn\'t itch like when you have used a straight razor. It is itchy, and so are the damn stitches. It\'s taken a lot of willpower not to pull them myself.