Sirius Radio

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hi, Sgt cj.

Nice avatar. Semper Fi.

For the "factory route," try "Replacement Radios" in Effingham, IL. They do business nationwide, and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Replacement Radios in Effingham, IL.

For a more "aftermarket" approach, try Crutchfield. They will have the radio you want, along with the adapter kit that will allow you to not chop your wiring harness up like a drunken twelve-year-old.

Good luck.

Sgt cj

Thanks for all the info.Brian
But !! the factory route in Effingham was "They only have satalite radio for 2005 and above". Crutchfield was like I'd have to have a remote plus an antenna,I'm leaning that way.Also Sirius radio would GIVE me an adapter kit.But i'm trying to stay original as possible.We live in the center of Florida and the radio reception is very poor.I might just have to invest in more C D s.
Semper Fi

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Thanks for all the info.Brian
But !! the factory route in Effingham was "They only have satalite radio for 2005 and above". Crutchfield was like I'd have to have a remote plus an antenna,I'm leaning that way.Also Sirius radio would GIVE me an adapter kit.But i'm trying to stay original as possible.We live in the center of Florida and the radio reception is very poor.I might just have to invest in more C D s.
Semper Fi
Hi, Sgt cj.

Since Sirius Satellite Radio wasn't available on the 2004 LTC, you will be trying to fit a "newer" radio into your "older" dash. While I believe that the last "major" dash redesign was in 2003, I can't say that for an absolute fact.

If your "older" dash will mechanically work with the "newer" radio, you might still need an "adapter harness" made to avoid chopping up your wiring harness to get the radio installed.

To go the "factory" route, you would actually need to email or talk to Replacement Radios directly, rather than just look at their website, since their website doesn't necessarily give every "interchange" that will work.

You will also need to tell them exactly which radio and speaker system you have installed right now. There are at least two speaker systems available on a 2004 Town Car, and "high-line" radios don't always play nice with "low-line" speakers, and vice versa. So, you might have to replace a lot more than just the control head in the dash to get the sound system you really want, whether you go the "factory" or the "Crutchfield" route.

If the newer factory stuff will work, and they have it available, they will be glad to sell it to you. If they say it won't work, have them explain why. You might be able to work around their reason why, or you might not. At a minimum, you will have some idea of what to look out for, so you don't end up spending a lot of money and still have to Velcro a mini-boom-box to the top of your dashboard.

In any case, for the Town Car, the system consists of a "satellite-ready" radio unit that handles the AM, FM, and so on and allows you to control the satellite radio through the same front panel. There is a separate satellite receiver mounted (I believe) in the dash. There will also be a satellite antenna. It is a small blade-like affair that you paint to body color that mounts to the roof, trunk lid. etc. This was a "field upgrade" installed by the Lincoln Dealer Service Department when the cars were new, so the instructions will say exactly where the satellite antenna should be mounted.

The "Crutchfield" route will be set up in a similar manner. The satellite receiver may be part of the "main radio" or a separate unit wired into the control head.

The factory AM/FM antenna for the Lincoln town car is the two vertical traces on the back window plus a filter-amplifier mounted under the package shelf between the two rear speakers. Some non-Lincoln Town Car radios are okay with this, while others are not. The satellite radio antenna will be the same "blade" as I described for the "factory kit."

Please let "us" know what kind of radio and speakers you have now, as well as what you end up doing.

There are a lot of Town Car Owners "lurking" out there in this group. Some of them have stayed with the factory radio, or at least a factory radio. Others have installed non-Lincoln radios, and either love or hate what they've ended up with.

Good luck.

HTML