Should I change the trans fluid or not?

Maytag87

Hi folks!

I picked up my first Lincoln back in September - an early 2003 Cartier, now with 92K miles after my driving 3k miles. I love the car and it drives so well! I had a hiccup with the driver door module and had lots of strange issues but things went back to normal after unplugging it and re-plugging it back in, so all is well there. I swapped out the original factory radio due to defective tuner issue from a junkyard car which works excellent. The rainsense wipers and CD 6 pack both work great, and I got the lighted back up sensor working; the car has been a joy to drive!

I usually change all the fluids on my cars, but I am always a bit leery on changing the trans fluid for fear of inducing a required trans rebuild in the short term. The car drives and shifts perfectly and feels great. I do not know the trans fluid change history. Should I just drive it and not worry about the trans fluid until it implodes, or change it now to potentially extend the life?

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited:

Koach

Bought my 2006 in August with 112k and was on the fence about the trans service type. Visited local AAMCO to scheduled their recommended service and was informed that they would not perform a complete system flush/fill (included torque converter) for anything over XXXk(?) and would only replace the filter/pan contained fluid to the tune of $189. I have access to a lift so for around $50 and an hour of time, it was done and haven't had any issues after a few thousand miles.
My intent is to replace the 4qts again over the holidays break, during an oil change, and while I'm at it, install a drain plug so I can perform during the first couple oil changes. I live in central Florida and while I'm reluctant to change all at once, I figure a periodic pan drain/fill will serve the purpose. After the first few I'll probably resort to annually...
Any constructive feedback is welcome.

Bought my 2006 in August with 112k and was on the fence about the trans service type. Visited local AAMCO to scheduled their recommended service and was informed that they would not perform a complete system flush/fill (included torque converter) for anything over XXXk(?) and would only replace the filter/pan contained fluid to the tune of $189. I have access to a lift so for around $50 and an hour of time, it was done and haven't had any issues after a few thousand miles.
My intent is to replace the 4qts again over the holidays break, during an oil change, and while I'm at it, install a drain plug so I can perform during the first couple oil changes. I live in central Florida and while I'm reluctant to change all at once, I figure a periodic pan drain/fill will serve the purpose. After the first few I'll probably resort to annually...
Any constructive feedback is welcome.
Dorman makes a pan with a drain plug that people say works well.

Kev7770

I bought my 03' Executive with 82k on the dash and had a complete trans fluid replacement done with zero problems now 15k later. My transmission was vibrating at 55mph when shifting into 4th I believe and the fluid was dirty. As long as the shop is reputable and they are just doing the machine transfer then you're fine. When buying a new car always assume the previous owner did no maintenance aside from oil changes. You'd be surprised how disgusting the brake fluid was before I flushed it.

I also recommend folks who just got a used TC to do the silicone rain cowl job before you notice water in the back floorboard.

Danmanltc

And blinker fluid!
LOL! All cars are different. One of biggest scams going at dealerships when the car is only a few years old with low miles. I had brake fluid replaced on our Infiniti they said it was dirty at 3 years old and 20,000 miles. Than 6 months later, dealer told me it needed to be changed because it was dirty. no way in 6 months and 3,000 miles of driving. Brakes work fine, no issues. who knows if they even changed it. I'm Leary on that. Only go by what your maintenance manual says and calls for.

Danmanltc

Hi folks!

I picked up my first Lincoln back in September - an early 2003 Cartier, now with 92K miles after my driving 3k miles. I love the car and it drives so well! I had a hiccup with the driver door module and had lots of strange issues but things went back to normal after unplugging it and re-plugging it back in, so all is well there. I swapped out the original factory radio due to defective tuner issue from a junkyard car which works excellent. The rainsense wipers and CD 6 pack both work great, and I got the lighted back up sensor working; the car has been a joy to drive!

I usually change all the fluids on my cars, but I am always a bit leery on changing the trans fluid for fear of inducing a required trans rebuild in the short term. The car drives and shifts perfectly and feels great. I do not know the trans fluid change history. Should I just drive it and not worry about the trans fluid until it implodes, or change it now to potentially extend the life?

Thanks!
Rob

I'm in the same boat.. My 2011 Town car I got last year with 9,800 miles? I'm now at 15,000+. Not touching trans fluid, drives fine, no issues. That car I can probably change it. I'm afraid, due to past issues. I've had cars in past that I changed tranny fluid at 8 to 10 years old with low miles and than in the next few months, tranny dropped out. Your car is now 17 years old? I wouldn't touch trans fluid. Unless you want to rebuild that tranny this year.

Corsart

LOL! All cars are different. One of biggest scams going at dealerships when the car is only a few years old with low miles. I had brake fluid replaced on our Infiniti they said it was dirty at 3 years old and 20,000 miles. Than 6 months later, dealer told me it needed to be changed because it was dirty. no way in 6 months and 3,000 miles of driving. Brakes work fine, no issues. who knows if they even changed it. I'm Leary on that. Only go by what your maintenance manual says and calls for.

I'm still not appreciating the mock.

All cars are the same, the conditions they are driven differ. Following manufacturers guidelines is important. But, knowing your car is even more important. Brake fluid is one of the most overlooked (and crucial) fluids in your car. It should be changed out every 3/36k....and any time to goes from a clearish yellow to a darker yellow, as that indicates it has absorbed moisture. That your dealer recommended you change it is meaningless, you don't report it's condition independently. Likewise for the other overlooked fluids, A/T and coolant.

For new owners of older cars..this thread...a good rule of thumb is "If it's wet, change it out". Thereafter, know what to look out for, keep an eye on it and change it based on OEM recs, and common sense, like it's appearance.

Danmanltc

I'm still not appreciating the mock.

All cars are the same, the conditions they are driven differ. Following manufacturers guidelines is important. But, knowing your car is even more important. Brake fluid is one of the most overlooked (and crucial) fluids in your car. It should be changed out every 3/36k....and any time to goes from a clearish yellow to a darker yellow, as that indicates it has absorbed moisture. That your dealer recommended you change it is meaningless, you don't report it's condition independently. Likewise for the other overlooked fluids, A/T and coolant.

For new owners of older cars..this thread...a good rule of thumb is "If it's wet, change it out". Thereafter, know what to look out for, keep an eye on it and change it based on OEM recs, and common sense, like it's appearance.
Agreed on following the manufacturers guidelines on brake fluid change if they list them.

The 2011 town car doesn't list it in the owners manual scheduled maintenance guide. I just checked mine again. They don't list for power steering fluid either.

The Lincoln dealer who did my last oil service, I asked them, they said mine was fine, do not change. It was marked good on my multi point vehicle inspection report.