• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Serpentine kit?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
Hey guys,

So I am contemplating changing my own serpentine belt. After doing a search on this forum, I see that it isn't too difficult. My question is this: how can I tell, before I go to buy the belt, whether I just need the belt or will more likely need pulleys and/or tensioners?

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm a woman, and a tad small at that, and I haven't done much auto work since my dad taught me the basics at 16 years old. 😉

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
If the tensioner isn't visibly vibrating or shaking when the car is running, then you should not need to replace the tensioner. If there are no noises or other issues with the water pump, alternator etc. that are run by pulleys you should probably be fine just replacing the belt.

Are you replacing due to maintenance schedule or due to a problem with the system

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
If the tensioner isn't visibly vibrating or shaking when the car is running, then you should not need to replace the tensioner. If there are no noises or other issues with the water pump, alternator etc. that are run by pulleys you should probably be fine just replacing the belt.

Are you replacing due to maintenance schedule or due to a problem with the system
The belt just started squeaking on me a little bit, so I'm pretty sure it's a gonner...

Ballyhoo

Dec 1, 2018
A belt and you should be fine. And you would be correct on the ease of replacement, less than ten minutes, just follow the routing guide shown on the decal located on the radiator cover panel. To simplify it further, borrow or rent a 1/2 breaker bar, as opposed to a standard ratchet, 18 inches or longer will vastly decrease in pressure needed on the tensioner. Or a simply pipe over the ratchet handle.

NOBODY

Oct 17, 2021
Many times the tensioner and water pump are replaced at the same time.
Not because they are bad, however the labor is nearly the same. Replacing the belt and then a year later the water pump/tensioner sucks.

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
A belt and you should be fine. And you would be correct on the ease of replacement, less than ten minutes, just follow the routing guide shown on the decal located on the radiator cover panel. To simplify it further, borrow or rent a 1/2 breaker bar, as opposed to a standard ratchet, 18 inches or longer will vastly decrease in pressure needed on the tensioner. Or a simply pipe over the ratchet handle.
That is extremely helpful, thank you so much!! 😊

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
Does your belt have cracks? How many miles? Mine is the original belt at 210K miles and still looks good. I bought a spare belt when RockAuto had them on sale but haven't needed it yet.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
I did the same for my Navigator. With 185K miles on the clock it still has the OE belt. Maybe living on borrowed time. And the belt is in my SUV. Pretty easy to change. Move the tensioner and remove the belt. Install the belt and move the tensioner again to pick up the belt.

Action

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
Does your belt have cracks? How many miles? Mine is the original belt at 210K miles and still looks good. I bought a spare belt when RockAuto had them on sale but haven't needed it yet.
It's got around 148k on it now. Is there something else in there besides the serp belt that would make that same squeaking noise?

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
It's got around 148k on it now. Is there something else in there besides the serp belt that would make that same squeaking noise?
Could be tensioner, any one of the many pulleys on the engine, bearing on the alternator, water pump, crankshaft, etc... The cheapest way to see if it is the belt is to buy some belt dressing in a spray can, start the car and spray on and see if it quiets down.

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
Could be tensioner, any one of the many pulleys on the engine, bearing on the alternator, water pump, crankshaft, etc... The cheapest way to see if it is the belt is to buy some belt dressing in a spray can, start the car and spray on and see if it quiets down.
I made a video last night with the sound it's making and a look under the hood while it was running. I'll try to find somewhere to post it and put a link here...

oktowncar

Jun 9, 2021
Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma
If I suspect a belt I always grab a bar of soap/candle and gently apply it to the outer edge of the belt to see if the noise goes away

Nongmin

Dec 5, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Naw, a cheap add to your tool kit. and it works quite well, too!