Sequential turn signal?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Stu

Jan 25, 2021
Any "Gear Heads" out there know if the turn signals on 2020, 21 or '22 Corsairs are capable of having the turn signals run sequentially? I think that would really update the look.

afh3

Nov 29, 2019
Minnesota
I think there potential issues with modifying the existing indicators in some jurisdictions.

I believe adding additional indicators, within some parameters, is allowed.

For instance, the dealer that sold me the 2020 Reserve that I have added a flashing high-mounted stop-light to all their cars and touted it as a safety improvement. For $300.

I told them I didn't want their dealer-installed extras on my car and they refused to remove it. The wife really liked that exact car and we'd been looking for a while so we got it anyway. Basically they got $300 from me for probably $25 in parts and labor.

Anyway, that system didn't remove or modify the lights that originally passed DOT certification for the vehicle and there are places in the country that won't pass you on inspection if they are altered.

I've seen F150 and Navigator tail lights that have been augmented with horizontal strings of red LEDs across the bumper that sequentially illuminate, so I'm guessing that might be an option for you. (?)

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
It is doubtful that any law enforcement would cite a vehicle owner for just that reason even if the modification was considered illegal. That may come into play if there were other reasons to cite. Like excessive speed or other things. There are so many vehicles modified that are running around and other vehicles with deferred maintenance, lights burned out and other things that a modification like the one above is not likely to garner any negative attention.

Doing the modification is another matter.
There is a kit for the 20-21 Corsair mounted to the mirrors.
The front and rear turn signals are not designed for a bulb replacement to make sequential happen unless you are willing to dissect the lamp assembly.

There are kits for Mustang. However Mustang has 3 individual LED sockets. Far easier to modify.

Action

heywardjr

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Dec 22, 2021
Aldie, VA
My Lincoln
22 Corsair GT, Infinite Black, Black/Cashew interior, all the other bells and whistles except towing
Virginia has an annual safety inspection and flashing of the stop lights would be a violation according to my dealer inspector. I had a Ford Sport Trac and had added a module that does that to the middle stop light. They rejected my inspection and I had to remove it to get the safety sticker. That was a few years ago so the regulations here may have changed.

tgara

Aug 31, 2021
Connecticut
My Lincoln
2021 Nautilus
Virginia has an annual safety inspection and flashing of the stop lights would be a violation according to my dealer inspector.
Just to be clear, we’re talking about turn signals, not stop or brake lights. Because how else would Audis, Mustangs and other cars that have this feature as original equipment be passing the VA inspection? ;)

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Flashing stop lights and sequntial turn signals would not be the same.

As a side note I very much dislike annual state inspections. I completely understand why a state would do such a thing. And still dis-like the government reach into my personal life. AZ only has an inspection for certain vehicles entering the state. Over the course of life, I have registered vehicles in Washington State and Michigan. At the time none of those states had annual inspections. My first awareness of annual state inspections was in college. A college buddy lived in Indiana and they had state inspection. His ride was in far better condition than my Michigan beater. And he came from a family that was far wealthier than mine. I could not afford to get my 13 year old (free) Galaxie to comply with Indiana vehicle laws. When I got it 4 years earlier, the car had gone through ownership by my uncle, two cousins and three accidents. Hense the steep purchase price.

Action

heywardjr

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Dec 22, 2021
Aldie, VA
My Lincoln
22 Corsair GT, Infinite Black, Black/Cashew interior, all the other bells and whistles except towing
Just to be clear, we’re talking about turn signals, not stop or brake lights. Because how else would Audis, Mustangs and other cars that have this feature as original equipment be passing the VA inspection? ;)
Yes, I was replying to the earlier comment about flashing center stop lights, not sequential as I have had sequential turn signals and those are ok here.

As much as I get annoyed with state inspections, I do notice that when I go visit relatives in Ohio where there is no inspection, I see a lot of cars with no bumpers or super rusted out, bald tires, etc. Those would not pass here in Virginia where I do not see junkers driving around. I'm sure they are there using plates from out of state, but if they have an accident and the State police find that the owner had out of state plates and had been here more than 30 days, then they get ticketed and marked with a pink failure sticker on the windshield (which draws other police attention if they see you driving around with one of those stuck to your car.