• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

SelectShift ('21 Navigator)

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

oneinch

Jun 12, 2021
Is there truly a manual transmission mode?
My manual implies I can select a gear of my choice and it will hold that gear.

"SelectShift does not automatically upshift, even if the engine is approaching the RPM limit. Shift manually by pressing the + paddle."

I can change gears with the paddles, but the truck always upshifts on it's own. At times I like to drive in the 1:1 gear (this is 7th gear on my 10 speed). I can downshift to this gear, but it won't stay there. It'll upshift on it's own back to whatever gear it wants.

Admittedly I downshift first. Maybe if I actually press (pull actually) the upshift paddle first and then downshift it will hold the selected gear. I'll have to try this. Has anyone got their (Navigator) to manually hold a gear (while in Normal drive mode, not Excite)?

GrussGott

Jan 1, 2022
Is there truly a manual transmission mode?
My manual implies I can select a gear of my choice and it will hold that gear.

"SelectShift does not automatically upshift, even if the engine is approaching the RPM limit. Shift manually by pressing the + paddle."

I can change gears with the paddles, but the truck always upshifts on it's own. At times I like to drive in the 1:1 gear (this is 7th gear on my 10 speed). I can downshift to this gear, but it won't stay there. It'll upshift on it's own back to whatever gear it wants.

Admittedly I downshift first. Maybe if I actually press (pull actually) the upshift paddle first and then downshift it will hold the selected gear. I'll have to try this. Has anyone got their (Navigator) to manually hold a gear (while in Normal drive mode, not Excite)?
Sounds like you're not first activating selectshift mode; according to the manual:

(1.) Selectshift Activation

Pull the + paddle on the steering wheel to activate SelectShift.

(2.) Using selectshift

Pull the right paddle (+) to upshift.
Pull the left paddle (–) to downshift.

(3.) How you know you're in selectshift mode

IN SELECTSHIFT MODE, THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DISPLAYS YOUR CURRENTLY SELECTED GEAR. IF YOU REQUEST A GEAR, BUT IT IS NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO VEHICLE CONDITIONS, LOW SPEED, TOO HIGH ENGINE SPEED FOR REQUESTED GEAR SELECTION, THE CURRENT GEAR BRIEFLY FLASHES.

oneinch

Jun 12, 2021
Yesterday from a complete stop I pulled on the + paddle. The gear indicator changed from D to 1. I proceeded down the road. Using the paddles I upshifted stopping at 4th. The display showed 4. After driving along in 4th a little ways the transmission changed to D and I could feel it upshift. It did this all on its on. It did not hold 4th gear. I'll keep playing with it. I believe I'm doing what the manually says. I suspect the vehicle isn't doing what the manual says.

Anyway, I'd love to hear others experiences with SelectShift.

GrussGott

Jan 1, 2022
Yesterday from a complete stop I pulled on the + paddle. The gear indicator changed from D to 1. I proceeded down the road. Using the paddles I upshifted stopping at 4th. The display showed 4. After driving along in 4th a little ways the transmission changed to D and I could feel it upshift. It did this all on its on. It did not hold 4th gear. I'll keep playing with it. I believe I'm doing whats the manually says. I suspect the vehicle isn't doing what the manual says.

Anyway, I'd love to hear others experiences with SelectShift.
Interesting ... might be worth a call to the concierge because that sounds like it's timing out versus you requested a gear the computer didn't like (as, in that case, "IF YOU REQUEST A GEAR, BUT IT IS NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO VEHICLE CONDITIONS, LOW SPEED, TOO HIGH ENGINE SPEED FOR REQUESTED GEAR SELECTION, THE CURRENT GEAR BRIEFLY FLASHES.")

Although the manual also says:

This mode holds a selected gear for a temporary period of time dependent on driver inputs (for example, steering or accelerator pedal input).
So maybe the "temporary period" is the time between when it held 4th and switched back to D ... it'd be interesting to time it and see if you can pin down the exact time it takes to switch between manual mode and D ...

oneinch

Jun 12, 2021
I'm disappointed I don't have a manual mode. It seems like the manual says I do, but I haven't been able to get the transmission to hold a gear. Where I like using manual is on the highway. I-95 - like many other interstates - is a rat race. I don't like the delay - however small it is - for the transmission to kickdown. Sometimes the kickdown is a bit violent. Anyhow, I like driving in 1:1. This is 7th gear in the Lincoln. It was 4th gear in my '13 F150. Acceleration is smooth and instant and I'm no where near rapping the engine out. Damn Lincoln always wants to and does shift back to 10th.

GrussGott

Jan 1, 2022
I'm disappointed I don't have a manual mode. It seems like the manual says I do,
Well, I don't think the manual clearly says you do given the wording:

"holds a selected gear for a temporary period of time given driver inputs"

The operational translation of that seems to be: "No permanent manual mode, only a temporary one" which for you seems to mean it'll hold 7th for awhile (temporary) but it'll soon upshift.

I wonder what would happen if you down shifted, paused, then upshifted, paused, then downshifted, etc. As an experiment, if you could do this indefinitely, it would indicate that as long you're manually shifting the transmission lets you do your thing, but as soon as you stop playing it goes back to auto.