Seeking Canadian GT Order Experiences

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
2023 Aviator GT ordered May 22
In 2017 I was one of the first to order the new Continental and received a VIN within a few weeks. In 2019 I ordered a new Mustang and received a VIN within a few weeks. Nine weeks ago I ordered an Aviator Grand Touring and have not received any info from Lincoln or my dealer. My dealer tells me that this is not unusual for the Aviator.

I’ve read that many on this forum have received email confirmations and VINs. I’m wondering if anyone here has ordered an Aviator Grand Touring from Canada and if they have received an email or VIN.

Jim

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
In 2017 I was one of the first to order the new Continental and received a VIN within a few weeks. In 2019 I ordered a new Mustang and received a VIN within a few weeks. Nine weeks ago I ordered an Aviator Grand Touring and have not received any info from Lincoln or my dealer. My dealer tells me that this is not unusual for the Aviator.

I’ve read that many on this forum have received email confirmations and VINs. I’m wondering if anyone here has ordered an Aviator Grand Touring from Canada and if they have received an email or VIN.

Jim

Hi Jim. Unfortunately, past experience is not applicable to these post pandemic times. And this issue is not unusual nowadays for any new vehicle, from any automaker. There are very long delays due to commodity and parts shortages, transportation shortages/delays, etc. etc. And this applies to all auto manufacturers, not only Lincoln/Ford.

All we can do is place an order and wait. Keep in contact with your salesperson, as they will have access to the latest information about your order. Of course, not all salespeople are created equal, so their desire/ability to actually provide you the information they have access to will vary. If yours is not helpful, speak to the Sales Manager. I that does not help, call Lincoln Concierge.

If I could give one bit of advice and opinion to anyone thinking about ordering or even purchasing a new vehicle now, it would be: If you do not absolutely need a new vehicle right now, wait and don't buy now. Absolutely wait if you can. There are simply far too many commodity and parts shortages, shipping issues, etc., affecting all automaker's. And this is causing vehicles to be delayed, or built with deleted features, and in some cases, quality control issues. And again, this applies to the new vehicles of all automakers.

So if we don't absolutely need a new vehicle immediately, and are only purchasing a new vehicle because we want one, it may be better to wait until these pandemic induced issues ease up a bit. Otherwise, we need to be patient and put up with long delays.

Hope you get your new Aviator as soon as possible and good luck.

Last edited:

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have waited until next year. Unfortunately I let my Continental go and only have my mustang left which is too dangerous to drive once it gets cold. So hopefully my Aviator arrives before the snow starts flying.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
Hi Jim. I don't think that the order experience for Canadian orders should be any different than those of our American friends, There are those that ordered around the same time as yourself that have received build estimates of mid to end of August.
You or your dealer should have received a VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) shortly after the order was submitted. That would be followed by the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement). The DORA basically confirms price and order options, if any. Also, being that you ordered a GT, they seem to take longer to complete.

Peter

Last edited:

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
Thanks Peter. I will go back to my dealer and ask if they received the VOC and DORA. I think I should have received something by now. The silence makes me nervous. I have a road trip to Nova Scotia planned for Nov/Dec and don’t want to have to rent a replacement vehicle.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Thanks Peter. I will go back to my dealer and ask if they received the VOC and DORA. I think I should have received something by now. The silence makes me nervous. I have a road trip to Nova Scotia planned for Nov/Dec and don’t want to have to rent a replacement vehicle.

Hi Jim. This information may help you in the future, and others now and in the future: A Dealer can print a VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) as soon as they enter the order. And they can/should do that once you have placed your order as you are still sitting there. So a customer should normally be able to receive a VOC immediately.
While a DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) may sometimes take slightly longer, it should be available within days of the order being placed.

Essentially...A VOC is simply a Dealer's acknowledgment you placed the order with them and they placed it with Lincoln/Ford. It will show the order/ options/pricing etc. If not automatically provided a VOC when I place my vehicle order, I politely insist I be given one before I leave the Dealership.
And a DORA is acknowledgment by Lincoln/Ford that the order was received from the Dealer, the order specifics/options/pricing etc.
I will also let the Dealer know I want a copy of the DORA as soon as the Dealership receives it.

If the Dealership does not have a DORA, then Lincoln/Ford has not acknowledged the order and the Dealership has some explaining to do.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
I think you should have it by then. My brother and his wife are there now in Cheverie, NS. They live in London, ON. Good luck Jim.

Peter

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
Hi Jim. This information may help you in the future, and others now and in the future: A Dealer can print a VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) as soon as they enter the order. And they can/should do that once you have placed your order as you are still sitting there. So a customer should normally be able to receive a VOC immediately.
While a DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) may sometimes take slightly longer, it should be available within days of the order being placed.

Essentially...A VOC is simply a Dealer's acknowledgment you placed the order with them and they placed it with Lincoln/Ford. It will show the order/ options/pricing etc. If not automatically provided a VOC when I place my vehicle order, I politely insist I be given one before I leave the Dealership.
And a DORA is acknowledgment by Lincoln/Ford that the order was received from the Dealer, the order specifics/options/pricing etc.
I will also let the Dealer know I want a copy of the DORA as soon as the Dealership receives it.

If the Dealership does not have a DORA, then Lincoln/Ford has not acknowledged the order and the Dealership has some explaining to do.

Hope this information helps and good luck.
Thanks for explaining the document process. It was most helpful. I will insist on a copy of the VOC when I order my Mustang replacement next year.

When should I receive a VIN? I recall receiving a VIN a few weeks after my previous orders.

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
I contacted my dealer and they provided me a copy of the VOC which shows that it was ordered on 16 May 22. However they told me that they have not received the DORA yet.

Is this normal?

Has anyone who ordered around the same time received a DORA?

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
I contacted my dealer and they provided me a copy of the VOC which shows that it was ordered on 16 May 22. However they told me that they have not received the DORA yet.

Is this normal?

I would think that you should have received it by now Jim. I read a post recently where a member received the DORA about a week after the VOC.

Peter

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011

Is this normal?

Hi Jim. A DORA is simply an acknowledgement from Lincoln/Ford that the order was received and accepted by them. The Dealer should have received a DORA by now (9+ weeks?). Well, 9+ weeks since you ordered. But only ~7 weeks since the order was placed, according to the VOC.

The 2023 Aviator order bank has been open since March, so your Dealer should find out what the hold up is on your DORA.
The wait for your vehicle to be produced and delivered will probably be some time, but that should not hold up your receipt of a DORA.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Pete@STAP

Jan 2, 2008
Ontario
My Lincoln
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A

Is this normal?

Normal? Good question nowadays. What used to be normal went out the window, but, I ordered mine July4, had a DORA next day and got my VIN this morning. Dealer has given me a Priority 10. All that means is, it's the first of HIS orders to be build. Ask your dealer if yours has been serialized yet, in which case he has a DORA AND a VIN for you. If not, i'd be asking my dealer to cancel my order and reorder it. GT's appear to be different animal and take longer. This might be why there's no movement, but you'd think Ford would had acknowledged the order and generated the DORA by now. I figure on a late Aug, to middle of SEP build, but i don't have the GT. They will take longer from what I'm reading here and there...

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln
UPDATE:

I called Lincoln Concierge and emailed a copy of my order along with the email I received from the dealership stating that they had not received a DORA since submitting my order of 16 May 22. I asked if this was normal and if they could confirm whether or not Lincoln had received my order. They said that they would look into it and get back to me. About 4 hours later they called to tell me that they had spoken to my dealership and that someone from the dealership would call me to explain why they hadn’t received a DORA.

WOW Great Customer Service - they just sent me back to the dealership in spite of me telling them that the dealership didn't know whether or not my car was in the queue since they had not received a DORA.

Later that day I received a call from my local dealer who informed me that: "there was no point in contacting Lincoln because it would be too difficult for them to find my order". They went on to say that the process had changed and the DORA was no longer relevant. The new system was a web portal that they used and it confirmed that Lincoln had indeed received my order and that my order was indeed in the queue but had not yet been scheduled. I got the distinct feeling that they were annoyed that I had reached out to Lincoln and that I should just sit back and trust them without any documentation to confirm that my order was even sent to Lincoln.

Has anyone heard of the DORA being replaced with a web-based dealer system? I feel I'm being sidelined and told: [Trust Us - don't ask questions and don't make waves if you want to see your new Aviator anytime before 2024]. Whatever happened to Lincoln customer service? Does anyone know how I can independently confirm that Lincoln has received my order and that it's in the queue waiting to be scheduled?

WaukeshaTG

Feb 1, 2022
Sounds like a typical experience, to be honest. I'd also be prepared to rent a car. We ordered a GT in early Dec, have had two emails from Lincoln giving me delivery dates to dealer. Both dates were missed. I don't think anyone knows when the car is coming.

I'm in US, but this has been a horrible process for us. I already don't like this car and we don't even have it yet. I suspect this is going to be a stopgap car for my wife for 12-18 months before we get out of it.

Waste of time and ultimately I have to assume we're going to lose money on it as well.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
Hi Jim. In reading some of the other posts, it seems that customers are still receiving confirmation in the form of what appears to be the DORA. However, your reference to the term "web portal" does sound familiar. There are a few posts that have mentioned a site that owners can log into to see the progress of their vehicles.

Peter

moose66

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Aug 5, 2021
Holly Springs, NC
My Lincoln
2021 Aviator GT Black/Black
Sounds like a typical experience, to be honest. I'd also be prepared to rent a car. We ordered a GT in early Dec, have had two emails from Lincoln giving me delivery dates to dealer. Both dates were missed. I don't think anyone knows when the car is coming.

I'm in US, but this has been a horrible process for us. I already don't like this car and we don't even have it yet. I suspect this is going to be a stopgap car for my wife for 12-18 months before we get out of it.

Waste of time and ultimately I have to assume we're going to lose money on it as well.
Not being a smart ass here, but if you don't like it, walk away. What will you lose, a few hundred dollar deposit? You couldn't have signed a contract yet as the vehicle isn't even built. A few hundred dollar deposit loss is a much smaller pill to swallow than what you lose in depreciation as soon as the ink is dry on the contract. I certainly wouldn't by a vehicle I am not happy with from the onset. Yes, the potential is there to lose some dough if you go ahead with the purchase only to turn around in say a year or so and get rid of it.

Jim4214

Jun 23, 2022
Ontario, Canada
My Lincoln

I’ve been buying Lincolns exclusively for the past 20 years and was always impressed with the high quality, responsive customer service. It very much looks like they’ve abandoned this approach and outsourced customer service to an off-shore call center which is extremely frustrating.

However, they still produce quality vehicles which are worth waiting for in spite of the delivery uncertainty. It’s just extremely frustrating not being able to get any reliable and verifiable information on the production process and timelines.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
The world stopped being 'normal' a couple of years ago. Things have changed, and unfortunately, not for the better.

Peter