Seat movement on turning in Corsair GT

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

SoCalDan

I'd noticed that in my new 2021 Corsair GT, when I made a hard left or right turn the seat would move about 1/8 inch in the opposite direction. After two weeks in service :mad: they finally located a service bulletin that addresses the issue, and were able to fix it in a couple hours. So, if anyone else notices this in their Corsair, it's a quick fix (though not for me :( what a poor first customer experience I had with Lincoln service).

I found this reference on-line, which I assume is the issue:

TSB Number: TSB 21-2185
NHTSA Number:10199519TSB
Date: July 19, 2021
Date Added to File: August 2, 2021
Failing Component: Seats
Summary:
Some 2020-2021 explorer/aviator/corsair vehicles may experience seat pan looseness, lateral movement and/or clunk/thump noise on turns. To correct the condition, follow the service procedure steps to reinforce the cushion hook.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
I'd noticed that in my new 2021 Corsair GT, when I made a hard left or right turn the seat would move about 1/8 inch in the opposite direction. After two weeks in service :mad: they finally located a service bulletin that addresses the issue, and were able to fix it in a couple hours. So, if anyone else notices this in their Corsair, it's a quick fix (though not for me :( what a poor first customer experience I had with Lincoln service).

I found this reference on-line, which I assume is the issue:

TSB Number: TSB 21-2185
NHTSA Number:10199519TSB
Date: July 19, 2021
Date Added to File: August 2, 2021
Failing Component: Seats
Summary:
Some 2020-2021 explorer/aviator/corsair vehicles may experience seat pan looseness, lateral movement and/or clunk/thump noise on turns. To correct the condition, follow the service procedure steps to reinforce the cushion hook.
I have the same issue in my 2021 Corsair GT AND my 2019 Ford Escape has started doing the same thing. The seat in the 2019 Escape was replaced earlier this year because the seams on the Active X seating material were ripping apart so maybe this is a recent issue from the seat supplier.

Do you know if this effects the front passenger seat as well? I rarely have passengers in my front seats so I wouldn't know if this is an issue.

SoCalDan

I have the same issue in my 2021 Corsair GT AND my 2019 Ford Escape has started doing the same thing. The seat in the 2019 Escape was replaced earlier this year because the seams on the Active X seating material were ripping apart so maybe this is a recent issue from the seat supplier.

Do you know if this effects the front passenger seat as well? I rarely have passengers in my front seats so I wouldn't know if this is an issue.
Funny - my wife just asked the same question - I rarely have passengers as well. I'll take my wife out for a ride later and see if she notices anything. :)

JB IN AZ

I felt this in the driver's seat of my 21 Corsair Reserve. Dealer found and applied the TSB. Resolved the issue as far as I can tell. Before the fix, it made noise and I could feel it in the seat bottom when turning.

Last edited:

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
I'd noticed that in my new 2021 Corsair GT, when I made a hard left or right turn the seat would move about 1/8 inch in the opposite direction.
Oh man, I thought this was just me. Thanks SoCalDan!

I'll admit I'm a little afraid to take my car in (have it picked up?), because my local dealer has not shown to be entirely competent. They also service Fords and my last visit with my Explorer was a comedy of errors as a result of a covid-decimated service staff. My seat also has a lawn tractor sounding squeak over slight bumps which I've tried unsuccessfully to drown with silicon spray. Perhaps pulling the chair and reattaching will address this.

UPDATE: Called for service duration estimate and the dealer says "There is no recall associated with your VIN" and "We don't have loaner vehicles for home pickup but can get you to Hertz". I think I'll live with the shifting seat until I can get this scheduled at a time where I don't need a car for a few days...

Last edited:

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
Oh man, I thought this was just me. Thanks SoCalDan!

I'll admit I'm a little afraid to take my car in (have it picked up?), because my local dealer has not shown to be entirely competent. They also service Fords and my last visit with my Explorer was a comedy of errors as a result of a covid-decimated service staff. My seat also has a lawn tractor sounding squeak over slight bumps which I've tried unsuccessfully to drown with silicon spray. Perhaps pulling the chair and reattaching will address this.

UPDATE: Called for service duration estimate and the dealer says "There is no recall associated with your VIN" and "We don't have loaner vehicles for home pickup but can get you to Hertz". I think I'll live with the shifting seat until I can get this scheduled at a time where I don't need a car for a few days...
There is a difference between a recall and a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). TSBs usually get addressed during a vehicle service. I'd let the dealer know the TSB number that is mentioned above and that you want this to be done as soon as possible. My understanding is the repair only takes a couple of hours.

SoCalDan

Your fears are not unfounded! The dealer took a week to get back to me, a week to pick up my car and drop off a loaner, then sat on the car for another week without working on it (it didn't move on the map and the mileage stayed the same). Finally, they told me it would be another week because the body shop was busy (the main reason I brought it in is they delivered the car to me with a ding on the door edge that needed fixing/painting.) Three + weeks to perform 3 days work, tops, and it's still not done. Certainly not the Lincoln experience as advertised... :(

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
I was curious what really needs done to repair this "reinforce the cushion hook". While I can't find this exact bulletin, here is a bulletin from the prior year. "Repaired" with heater hose and hose clamps!? MacGyver would be proud!? Sort of pulls back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps the new bulletin supersedes this one and uses more sophisticated components, but interesting....

Last edited:

SoCalDan

They gave me a Nautilus - Corsair GT is nicer, IMHO :LOL:

BTW - my wife didn't notice any seat movement on the passenger side, but she's a bitty thing, so it's probably worth having them look at both sides.

Pabaldeagle

SUPPORTING MEMBER
California
Did you peek at the work? Was it really radiator hose and clamps or something more elegant? I'll either live with it or fix myself rather than trust the techs at my local Lincoln.

Last edited:

SoCalDan

Not sure I really want to know how the sausage is made, IYKWIM...

That said, you can't un-ring that bell ;) so I'll take a peek and report back.

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
I took mine in for the seat repair this morning. I'll let you know how it turns out. I got an MKZ to drive as a loaner. I'm not overly impressed with it. The headspace getting in and out of the vehicle isn't good.

SoCalDan

FWIW, I looked but could see nothing looking abnormal. If they did use bubble gum and hair pins, it's working fine so far...

Good luck - should be a quick repair!