Rustingpreviously exhaust

cars2

In addition to the previously mentioned missing engine appearance cover, and removing the lighted door sill that my MKC had, the exhaust pipe on my 2 month old Corsair is rusting. Has anybody else noticed this issue?

Corsart

In addition to the previously mentioned missing engine appearance cover, and removing the lighted door sill that my MKC had, the exhaust pipe on my 2 month old Corsair is rusting. Has anybody else noticed this issue?
Rusting?

Exhaust components are typically stainless so they shouldn't rust. What you see might/probably be superficial. Keep an eye on it, and point it out next service visit, but most modern exhausts don't rust thru, typically when this happens it's at the weld, which is mild steel and can rust with time.

cars2

Rusting?

Exhaust components are typically stainless so they shouldn't rust. What you see might/probably be superficial. Keep an eye on it, and point it out next service visit, but most modern exhausts don't rust thru, typically when this happens it's at the weld, which is mild steel and can rust with time.
A picture is worth a thousand words!

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 15
  • image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 15

bbf2530

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Hi cars. Yes, that exhaust does seem a little odd. Bring it to the attention of the Service Department at your Lincoln Dealer on your next service visit. Or if your next service visit won't be for some time, preferably make an appointment now.

Good luck.

cars2

Pictures, priceless. That's not the original exhaust, look at the piece of sheet metal wrapped by a wire on your first pic. What's the history behind this car?
I just bought the car new 1/20/21 from a Lincoln dealer with less than 50 miles on the odometer.
Door sticker says the car was built 12/20.

bbf2530

I just bought the car new 1/20/21 from a Lincoln dealer with less than 50 miles on the odometer.

Hi cars. The best course of action at this point is to make a service appointment, bring it in, show them exactly what your concerns are, and have it looked at by your Dealer's Service Department.

While you are there, check the exhausts of a few of the Corsairs on the lot, in case they tell you "it is normal".

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

HotrodLinkin

That's not a factory weld, some kind of schitty patch job. Two possible root causes:

Transport semi trailer bad hook up.

While backing up car hit tall object or bottomed out in deep pothole.

Feeble attempt to avoid total replacement of exhaust system.

cars2

That's not a factory weld, some kind of schitty patch job. Two possible root causes:

Transport semi trailer bad hook up.

While backing up car hit tall object or bottomed out in deep pothole.

Feeble attempt to avoid total replacement of exhaust system.

cars2

Interesting. I have appointment with dealer next week. Will also be interesting what their response will be.
Hi cars. The best course of action at this point is to make a service appointment, bring it in, show them exactly what your concerns are, and have it looked at by your Dealer's Service Department.

While you are there, check the exhausts of a few of the Corsairs on the lot, in case they tell you "it is normal".

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

HotrodLinkin

Interesting. I have appointment with dealer next week. Will also be interesting what their response will be.
Be suspicious of what they tell you, there's a reason why some refer to them as 'stealerships'. As a Ford retiree with 33 years experience in engineering I have seen just about every underhanded trick to avoid responsibility.

cars2

I have already emailed pics & have appointment at dealer. Thanks for the suggestion about looking at other Corsairs while at dealer. I will post results of dealer visit.

Corsart

Something happened there, it's not a stock exhaust. The question is their response. I'd go in with pics of the proper exhaust...look around YT sometimes the reviews put the car on the lift...so they not only have those as a comparo but know you've done due diligence and are prepared to take further action. I'd also look the whole car over very carefully, if the exhaust situation resulted from some other incident, like a rear end collision, you want to know that (and probably demand a new car) as well.

cars2

Something happened there, it's not a stock exhaust. The question is their response. I'd go in with pics of the proper exhaust...look around YT sometimes the reviews put the car on the lift...so they not only have those as a comparo but know you've done due diligence and are prepared to take further action. I'd also look the whole car over very carefully, if the exhaust situation resulted from some other incident, like a rear end collision, you want to know that (and probably demand a new car) as well.

cars2

I'm concerned they will try to blame me for whatever happened!
Guess I'll find when I have my appointment with the dealer next week.

guess

Corsart

I'm concerned they will try to blame me for whatever happened!
Guess I'll find when I have my appointment with the dealer next week.

guess
They certainly can try to deny liability, and it's good to be prepared for that. Common sense is on your side here, on a car that's so new, that exhaust doesn't make sense. Why would you do that to your new car? How can it have happened under your watch?

If you have a regular, licensed mechanic that you use, having him take a look and writing up his assessment is a good idea.

cars2

I had appointment with dealer yesterday regarding this issue. They couldn't have been more accomodating. They put my car up on a hoist near a similar vehicle and allowed me in the shop to view both vehicles from underneath. To my surprise, the other vehicle was rusted even worse! The service manager was very knowledgable and helpful but didn't try to defend the rusting. But advised that anytime I wanted it looked at again I could. No offer to replace exhaust or muffler. The manager said if any of it rusted thru during the 4/50 warranty it would be covered.
Seems to me, they have a materials/coatings issue. I also showed the service manager a picture of my neighbor's 2 year old awd suv exhaust with virtually no rust. No comment. I advised the service manager that I wasn't satisfied and that I would be contacting Lincoln about this issue as well as the issue of removal of the engine appearance cover during the production year. He said he understood. At least this is documented.
I think the dealer is kind of in the middle. I will advise of my findings with Lincoln, but I don't expect much different.

Corsart

I had appointment with dealer yesterday regarding this issue. They couldn't have been more accomodating. They put my car up on a hoist near a similar vehicle and allowed me in the shop to view both vehicles from underneath. To my surprise, the other vehicle was rusted even worse! The service manager was very knowledgable and helpful but didn't try to defend the rusting. But advised that anytime I wanted it looked at again I could. No offer to replace exhaust or muffler. The manager said if any of it rusted thru during the 4/50 warranty it would be covered.
Seems to me, they have a materials/coatings issue. I also showed the service manager a picture of my neighbor's 2 year old awd suv exhaust with virtually no rust. No comment. I advised the service manager that I wasn't satisfied and that I would be contacting Lincoln about this issue as well as the issue of removal of the engine appearance cover during the production year. He said he understood. At least this is documented.
I think the dealer is kind of in the middle. I will advise of my findings with Lincoln, but I don't expect much different.
Ok, so I washed mine and looked carefully. Mine doesn't look at all like yours. It's not just the rust, it's the (Cracking) welds and that sheet steel and wire patch, too. Did you see those on the car they put on the lift?

Superficial rust isn't the issue, bc yours doesn't have that.