Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Road noise issues

Gempos

Thread starter #1
I'm wondering if I am the only owner who has the problem of terrible road noise with my 20" wheels and Goodyear Eagle tires. My son has a Mazda 3 that drives quieter than my new Continent.

Gempos

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the forum. We have a forum for the new Continental so perhaps your thread could be moved there for you so more eyes can help.

I drove a Continental demonstrator, a Reserve with all the bells and whistles that had the 20" wheels and Goodyear 245/40R20 tires. I did not find the tires noisy and the whole cabin was as quiet as a mouse at all speeds and road conditions. My son has had 2 Mazda 3 models and they were not quiet cars. There must be a problem somewhere causing the noise. I have the 255/45R19 Michelin tires and I cannot hear them at all, I can feel them though on broken pavement and potholes after our winter.

Have you talked with your dealer?

Rusty Boltz

Fort Worth, TX
Welcome to the forum. We have a forum for the new Continental so perhaps your thread could be moved there for you so more eyes can help.

I drove a Continental demonstrator, a Reserve with all the bells and whistles that had the 20" wheels and Goodyear 245/40R20 tires. I did not find the tires noisy and the whole cabin was as quiet as a mouse at all speeds and road conditions. My son has had 2 Mazda 3 models and they were not quiet cars. There must be a problem somewhere causing the noise. I have the 255/45R19 Michelin tires and I cannot hear them at all, I can feel them though on broken pavement and potholes after our winter.

Have you talked with your dealer?
I don't have a Continental, but I do have 255/45R19s on my Lincoln. I had to replace one a few days ago because of a road hazard. Discount Tire had trouble finding one. They're not a common size, and are on 4 week backorder from Michelin. Luckily, they found one for me at an "alternate supplier".

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I don't have a Continental, but I do have 255/45R19s on my Lincoln. I had to replace one a few days ago because of a road hazard. Discount Tire had trouble finding one. They're not a common size, and are on 4 week backorder from Michelin. Luckily, they found one for me at an "alternate supplier".
I find the Michelins to be quiet and very good traction, but you probably have a lot more time with those tires than me, do you find them noisy? Can you compare these tires with other similar sized tires of a different make? I have never found Goodyear tires noisy but they were in a much higher profile size, last were 235/60R17 Goodyear Assurance Touring and were quiet as a mouse.

One aspect of noise that might affect Gempos' Continental is tire pressure, the 255/45R19 Michelins are spec'd with 33 psi for my Continental and the 245/40R20 Goodyear on Gempos Continental are spec'd with 39 psi. Perhaps that makes a difference to the noise level. The tire pressure monitor in the Continental gives the actual tire pressure reading for all 4 tires when selecting Disp mode and choosing "fuel... etc" and then selecting "Tire Pressure monitor". The right side of the screen shows all 4 tire pressures.

Rusty Boltz

Fort Worth, TX
I find the Michelins to be quiet and very good traction, but you probably have a lot more time with those tires than me, do you find them noisy? Can you compare these tires with other similar sized tires of a different make? I have never found Goodyear tires noisy but they were in a much higher profile size, last were 235/60R17 Goodyear Assurance Touring and were quiet as a mouse.

One aspect of noise that might affect Gempos' Continental is tire pressure, the 255/45R19 Michelins are spec'd with 33 psi for my Continental and the 245/40R20 Goodyear on Gempos Continental are spec'd with 39 psi. Perhaps that makes a difference to the noise level. The tire pressure monitor in the Continental gives the actual tire pressure reading for all 4 tires when selecting Disp mode and choosing "fuel... etc" and then selecting "Tire Pressure monitor". The right side of the screen shows all 4 tire pressures.
I've only driven my MKS 6000 miles since I bought it, but the Michelins
are indeed quiet and perform well (keep in mind, I drive it like a luxury sedan; I have another car for spirited driving). Lincoln recommends 34 psi. I had the Assurance tires on my previous MKZ, and they were quiet too.

Pasadena Lady

Pennsylvania
I have the 20" wheels with the Eagle F1 tires. I have not noticed any road noise. Friends who have driven my car also remarked how quiet it rides. It could be the roads that you are driving on ( concrete is noisier) or the tire inflation. I specifically ordered the 20" wheels for the ride and I am very satisfied

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML