• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

rims and centers

t57f100

thank you guys for the help so far.needing a little more before i put it on the road i just bought this a couple months ago these are the center caps and the one rim but they all look like this is this rash or is this clear coat peeling.i want to approach this very slowly because ford seems to be great for discontinuing their parts.

Attachments

bbf2530

thank you guys for the help so far.needing a little more before i put it on the road i just bought this a couple months ago these are the center caps and the one rim but they all look like this is this rash or is this clear coat peeling.i want to approach this very slowly because ford seems to be great for discontinuing their parts.
Hi t57. It seems like a little bit of all of the above. There is peeling clear coat, nicks, chips, a little bit of road rash at the wheel edges, etc.
Essentially, the kind of cosmetic things you will see on the wheels of a 20+ year old daily driver.

You could always have them refinished if you want them looking new again.

Good luck.

Last edited:

t57f100

Hi t57. It seems like a little bit of all of the above. There is peeling clear coat, nicks, chips, a little bit of road rash at the wheel edges, etc.
Essentially, the kind of cosmetic things you will see on the wheels of a 20+ year old daily driver.

You could always have them refinished if you want them looking new again.

Good luck.
gee thank you so much for the quick reply this could get expensive i guess are these coated aluminum wheels ?can strip the clear off and polish them

bbf2530

gee thank you so much for the quick reply this could get expensive i guess are these coated aluminum wheels ?can strip the clear off and polish them
Hi t57. You are very welcome. Yes, they are clearcoat painted aluminum.

Yes, you could strip the clearcoat, then polish and re-clearcoat them. You would need to clearcoat them (or powdercoat...etc), as bare aluminum will corrode again.

Would not surprise me if they are discontinued, as you mentioned. It will usually be less expensive to refinish them, either yourself or even professionally, than try to replace them.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

t57f100

Hi t57. You are very welcome. Yes, they are clearcoat painted aluminum.

Yes, you could strip the clearcoat, then polish and re-clearcoat them. You would need to clearcoat them (or powdercoat...etc), as bare aluminum will corrode again.

Would not surprise me if they are discontinued, as you mentioned. It will usually be less expensive to refinish them, either yourself or even professionally, than try to replace them.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
[/QUOTEits going to awhile for sure but i will even if i do a wheel a year so what its not my daily yet and when its done then its done

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
Long story short, my wheels severely corroded after 2 years. Lincoln replaced them under warranty.
2 years later again, the newer wheels were worse than the first set.
New wheels were over $800ea; tire dealer here said $250-300ea. Found a fella that would strip & powder coat for #250ea, but would have to pay tire dealer to R&R tires.

I went THIS route. Price was lower due to my original choice was out of stock, but they matched these at $161ea. Out the door was a tad over $800.

t57f100

Long story short, my wheels severely corroded after 2 years. Lincoln replaced them under warranty.
New wheels were over $800ea; tire dealer here said $250-300ea. Found a fella that would strip & powder coat for #250ea, but would have to pay tire dealer to R&R tires.

I went THIS route. Price was lower due to my original choice was out of stock, but they matched these at $161ea. Out the door was a tad over $800.

those look great i would like to get to stock with out buying stock now and maybe not clear coated that stuff is ok but its to soft for such a harsh environment

t57f100

i think im going stock steelies and hub caps the rims are easy and the caps are cheap and no worries about clear coat or pitting just change the caps

HTML