Replacing the cabin Air filter on 2017 Continental

Todor

I did it. Thanks to your manuals.
If I hadn't owned a 6 cylinder BMW diesel I would call the procedure ridiculous. But now it's only "almost ridiculous".

Unfortunately, there is no way around the full procedure. In contrast spark plug replacement on the 3.0 goes as easy as it sounds without any unnecessary disassembly.

So, all interior trim was disassembled solely by hands and fingers/finger tips. I deliberately refrained from using trim prying tools. Rear controls came out by hand, transmission tunnel trim came out entirely by hand, trim below glove box also by hand.

Again: no way around the full procedure unfortunately. Glove box door can't be removed separately and even if you remove it , there is glove box back wall.

Next time I go through this procedure I will try to design and cut an opening in the glove box back wall and replace it with Velcro removable panel for easy access and annual filter replacement.

What is difficult: replacing the tunnel side trim. You just have to hit it in place in the front part holding it's back part at the correct height. No other sensible way. Adjust it in place as well as you could and then hit it.
Side panel is only moved back 4-5 inches. Didn't see a viable way to extract it without braking something.
The glove box light cable is so short, before I get to disconnect it, the light disintegrated. Nothing is broken, I was able to re-assemble it.

Warning: the new filter could compress and go inside too much. Leave it sticking out half an inch and push it completely by the hinged plastic door that retains it. Then it is in its place and can't go further.

Funny discovery: a spare glove box door soft open device. - the one in the photos. At first I thought I broke it off while pulling the box out. It was in the steel subframe of the dash. Obviously it had some usage as it has friction marks.
I found out that the glove box have been removed by some very sloppy careless individual. One bolt was missing and the one that was present at the top of the box was not holding anything because it's retainer clip had slipped out of the receiving plastic chassis.
My heart skipped a beat as I thought the car was in accident with air bags deployed. Fortunately that wasn't the case, airbags are all from the manufacturing date of the car.
It seems that the slow open mechanism was broken and they replaced either the whole glove box or just the small part that does this job. And they didn't replace the cabin air filter! I am pretty sure this filter is the original one because it smelled like it (44.850 km, went in my service book with red ink). LoL
The job is not hard, completely doable in couple of hours the first time. Definitely DIY, because a shop would brake something.

Attachments

Last edited: