Replacing Head Unit Question(s)

TC_Owner_GA

Going to be upgrading the sound system in my 2009 TC soon and was wondering what head units you have used. My system is the factory 6-CD Soundmark unit with 4 speakers.

1. I want to retain the steering wheel volume and "next" button functionality, so the head unit upgrade must support those.
2. I want to retain the "parking assist" chime(which seems to be played through the back speakers).

I know there are aftermarket modules that support the steering wheel controls, but I'm not certain how the parking assist chime is integrated, or if specific head units are required to support these.

This is Head Unit I have planned. The unit description text states that it allows for the retention of the steering wheel controls, but nothing about the parking assist chime.

Anyone upgraded their 03 to 09 sound system that can offer some insights on my above concerns?

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
I have an aftermarket head unit in my 04, the chime still works (when it works) and I used the metra steering wheel adapter from crutchfield and retained my the controls on the wheel.

Mikec026

The steering wheel control module crutchfield recommends maintains everything you want. Used it in my 06
Hey I'm having trouble installing my head unit it says no signal i found out the audiophile amp connected to sub so I ordered an 1000 watt and 240 watt amp. Can I just hook the amp up to sub from the wires that went into the audiophile? If so what wires go where? Or should I bring it to a place?

raiderfan247365

Western Oregon
Hey I'm having trouble installing my head unit it says no signal i found out the audiophile amp connected to sub so I ordered an 1000 watt and 240 watt amp. Can I just hook the amp up to sub from the wires that went into the audiophile? If so what wires go where? Or should I bring it to a place?
If you bought an aftermarket amp, you're going to want to run new wires and not use the old wiring in my opinion. Get a good amp wiring kit to be safe. As to your question of should you take it to a shop? That's going to depend on many things, how experienced are you at installing stereos? How much time you got? etc.

If you have the money, I'd just pay a shop tbh. I had fun and learned a lot installing my head unit and back-up camera but if I could turn back time, probably would have went professional install route ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Corpus Christi, TX
If you are talking about power connections (12v) to the new amplifiers, the stock wiring will not be sufficient. High-powered 12v amps require large-gauge cables. Thin wire will not deliver the necessary amperage, which means the amp will never be able to deliver its rated wattage output. I’m sure there is information online regarding the power cable requirements for specific wattage ratings.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier

Mikec026

Thank you to both of you for the reply. Yah I have the time so ill probably just get the kit and keep going with it. This was actually my grandfathers TC he bought new in 06 and passed away 5 years and I was supposed to get it but his son nobody talks stepped in and got it. Then he suddenly passed away and his daughter was supposed to sell it to me but donated to kars4kids instead. So it took me 5 months of searching but I found it in Florida and the guy who bought it couldn't believe i did all the work to track it down and sold it to me for what he paid 1800. So I jumped on the next flight from Boston to Orlando and drove her back home. It has a whopping 68k on it. This is my forever car. So ill definitely invest the time and learn every in and out.

HighwayStar

I just spent a fair amount of time looking for a good head unit, so I will throw out a couple notes to consider even though they don't relate directly to the control issue.
That particular model does not seem to support Car Play/Android auto, which is something to consider if you want to use those features in the future. I would also read the fine print on USB support if that is something you want to use, as some of these have absurdly low folder/file support limits.
I was looking to retain the existing controls as well as add Android Auto and a large USB drive full of music, and found it surprisingly expensive to get a head unit that would support all 3 options.

Ballyhoo

I bought a refurbished factory unit, an Alpine, with the addition of Bluetooth capability for my 1998 from a company found on EBAY. Wish I could remember, but it's been a couple of years. But the system sounds awesome, especially being Bluetooth capable.