Regular versus Premium Gas

bbf2530

Hi gang. To keep people from being too smart for their own good, there is a safety margin built into the "Distance to Empty" reading. Usually another 20-40 miles after hitting zero miles to empty. Keep in mind it is not a hard and fixed precision measurement.

And the fuel pump can not access every last pint/quart of fuel in the tank. So..."Your mileage may vary" as they say.

Good luck.

Jwildzza

I’m hitting the highway in the am, I can’t wait to see how it does on a trip. Has anyone driven sustained 80-85? Curious how the mileage is at speed.

I’m getting 17 city now and I took to the dealer to get it checked out on the computer and they didn’t find anything; so I guess I’m good now. I hope 1CE6EF52-9B12-43D1-B1E9-D626584122B8.jpeg

Jwildzza

I took a 1300+ mile trip, driving 75-85 mph and got 22 mpg on premium. Overall, I’m pretty happy with that!
I’m trying 87 octane again just to see where it goes. Just turned 4000 mi!

Unless your vehicle specifically calls for premium, using it is a waste of money.
Okay after a couple of months, it doesn't seem to be much difference in performance or MPG's.
Will just be putting regular gas from now on, and save $5 to $10 a tank depending on what grade.
If I purchased the car versus leasing it, then I probably would have a different view point.

DCW

Chicago
Hi Group;

Have any of you compared the difference between regular and premium gas? If so is there a significant difference in performance and or anything else like exhaust fumes, smell, etc. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I used the Premium In my 2014 MKZ for 122,000 miles. And now in my 2017 MKZ. The car definitley has more power. And for a few dollars a tankful, it’s worth it! The gas mileage is a tad better too. You will notice a difference for sure. Definitely don’t use that super low octane gas at the big box stores. My car got horrible economy for that tankful. And the power suffered. Premium is Premium for a reason.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Interesting. It becomes a matter of do you need the full rated HP to buy the Premium and does the higher MPG offset the higher cost at the pump.

I don't know the answers. It's always an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Interesting. It becomes a matter of do you need the full heated HP to buy the Premium and does the higher MPG offset the higher cost at the pump.

I don't know the answers. It's always an interesting discussion.

Indeed it is. I have tested the theory across numerous platforms over the years and my personal conclusion is that running premium gas in a vehicle tuned for 87 makes absolutely no difference. All I can attribute differences of opinion on this issue is differently tuned butt dynos. :ROFLMAO:

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Indeed it is. I have tested the theory across numerous platforms over the years and my personal conclusion is that running premium gas in a vehicle tuned for 87 makes absolutely no difference. All I can attribute differences of opinion on this issue is differently tuned butt dynos. :ROFLMAO:
Those are always and definitely tuned differently!

I paid less than $30 to fill up my tank!
I can't remember the last time I paid so little.
It's a shame that we can't take a trip now with this virus situation.
They just extended the non-essential workforce stay home another month till 5/15.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
With the cost of a barrel of oil these days, gas "should" be even cheaper than it is. We rejoice in sub $2 a gallon gas, but we are still being ripped off. It's a shell game.

mgd

Hi Group;

Here is an update. I haven’t been getting good mileage from the gas the cheap dealer put in my tank which was regular gas. Been getting 11.3 MPG average city driving which is terrible and I had the drive mode in efficient setting. I put in 92 octane from delta and initially started noticing the MPG improving. Will post an image of the new MPG when I need to fill up again. View attachment 7303

mgd

Gas mileage was not as poor as you report, but on level freeway driving @ 70 mph the best I seemed to be able to do was 20 - 21 mpg. Most times 19 mpg..........took the aviator in for service on a number of complaints...........they said there were updates to computer programs which needed to be made. Since I got the aviator back, 24 - 25 mpg on freeway and 20.5 mpg on mix driving. Not sure what has caused the increase mpg, but sure am pleased with the improvement.........Use regular gas, was not able to get gas mpg improvement with regular.

mgd

Gas mileage was not as poor as you report, but on level freeway driving @ 70 mph the best I seemed to be able to do was 20 - 21 mpg. Most times 19 mpg..........took the aviator in for service on a number of complaints...........they said there were updates to computer programs which needed to be made. Since I got the aviator back, 24 - 25 mpg on freeway and 20.5 mpg on mix driving. Not sure what has caused the increase mpg, but sure am pleased with the improvement.........Use regular gas, was not able to get gas mpg improvement with premium .

LincolnFanFl

We are about to hit the 1,000 mile mark on our new Avi.

Initial complete tank was 17.68 MPG (board-computer showed 18.7) but the vehicle was sitting in the driveway and running for hours during my initial set-up which certainly did not help. Next tank was 19.31 MPG (board-computer 19.6) which is better. I'm using 93 premium from Costco which basically costs as much as 87 anywhere else. The tank on the GT holds slightly less so the price-difference per fill-up between 87 and 93 is even smaller. At Costco, the difference is .20 per gallon and at 15 gallon per fill up and four fill ups a month, we are looking at about $10/month difference. On a $90K+ vehicle, that's an expense I'm not too worried about.

Corsart

We are about to hit the 1,000 mile mark on our new Avi.

Initial complete tank was 17.68 MPG (board-computer showed 18.7) but the vehicle was sitting in the driveway and running for hours during my initial set-up which certainly did not help. Next tank was 19.31 MPG (board-computer 19.6) which is better. I'm using 93 premium from Costco which basically costs as much as 87 anywhere else. The tank on the GT holds slightly less so the price-difference per fill-up between 87 and 93 is even smaller. At Costco, the difference is .20 per gallon and at 15 gallon per fill up and four fill ups a month, we are looking at about $10/month difference. On a $90K+ vehicle, that's an expense I'm not too worried about.
B/C Costco gas is a "Top tier" gas, you're OK. I always caution people that all gas is not the same, and especially with direct injection engines, saving a few pennies (on reg or premium) at the no name/unbranded gas station runs the greater risk over time of creating more of a build up issue within the engine. So although he Reg Vs. Hi Test is always an interesting conversation, its not as important to performance and mpg over the long run as Top tier Vs. cheapo gas.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
B/C Costco gas is a "Top tier" gas, you're OK. I always caution people that all gas is not the same, and especially with direct injection engines, saving a few pennies (on reg or premium) at the no name/unbranded gas station runs the greater risk over time of creating more of a build up issue within the engine. So although he Reg Vs. Hi Test is always an interesting conversation, its not as important to performance and mpg over the long run as Top tier Vs. cheapo gas.
I have wondered, since reading my manual, if Top Tier is just a marketing gimmick. You're saying that really does make a difference? I do go to Top Tier places because that is what is around here, but jut curious.

LincolnFanFl

Growing up in Germany, there is really no 'expensive' gas in the US so I always fill up my vehicles with a smile on my face - LOL! ;)

Last edited:

vickigayle4

Wow that is a lot better then what I’m getting. How many miles does your vehicle have and were you always getting that much? Is that city, highway or combined?
I have about 3300 miles on our 2020 Aviator and have not re-indexed the mpg indicator since driving off the lot on the 26th of September. We started at 13.3 mpg and have steadily increased to 18.1 with the last fill up on January 20th. I do notice that it dropped from 18.3 after I got lead footed a couple of times.
Great vehicle - it may be my last purchase for awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_2301a.png
    IMG_2301a.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5