Regular versus Premium Gas

Hi Group;

Have any of you compared the difference between regular and premium gas? If so is there a significant difference in performance and or anything else like exhaust fumes, smell, etc. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Unless your vehicle specifically calls for premium, using it is a waste of money.
The manual says you could use regular gas; but they say to use premium for better performance. Not sure if that just relates to better speed or maybe more miles to the gallon.

What is everyone using for their new Aviators?
Regular, mid grade or premium gas.

wincav

Hi Group;

Have any of you compared the difference between regular and premium gas? If so is there a significant difference in performance and or anything else like exhaust fumes, smell, etc. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Premium gas can improve performance. It will help you get maximum horse power. I use it because many Top Tier gasolines have MORE cleaning detergents in their Premium gas versus Regular. In a Direct Injected engine like the Aviator you want to keep your injectors as clean as possible so you maintain a uniform spray pattern and a cleaner more efficient burn. This helps reduce carbon on your valves that no longer get cleaned by gasoline because the injector now puts fuel directly into the cylinder, hence the name Direct Injection. I high quality fuel injector cleaner is recommended periodically.

Hi Group;

Here is an update. I haven’t been getting good mileage from the gas the cheap dealer put in my tank which was regular gas. Been getting 11.3 MPG average city driving which is terrible and I had the drive mode in efficient setting. I put in 92 octane from delta and initially started noticing the MPG improving. Will post an image of the new MPG when I need to fill up again. EBB7A5DC-E51C-4453-A9F3-65620FC01A83.jpeg

Well here is an update. Only got almost one more mile per gallon with 92 octane. Just filled up with 93 octane to see if I can get another mile more per gallon or more. Still not so good on gas; but I guess that’s what you get with the 400 HP & extra weight. E9595110-FF66-4C58-B3E5-1EC6AACBC8D9.jpeg

I’m averaging 19.7 with 87 octane. This tank is averaging 2 mpg better than last tank.
Wow that is a lot better then what I’m getting. How many miles does your vehicle have and were you always getting that much? Is that city, highway or combined?

Jwildzza

It’s combined. I’m at 846 miles, mostly driven in normal mode, sort of easy driving. Usually just me or 1 passenger. Are you in excite mode? I noticed (great performance) the fuel gauge dropping while in excite mode.

eylarson

The demo I drove showed 20 MPG on the dash indicator. Had 3,000 miles on it as it was a dealer loaner. Doubt dealer or anyone using the vehicle put anything other than the cheapest gas available.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Premium gas can improve performance. It will help you get maximum horse power. I use it because many Top Tier gasolines have MORE cleaning detergents in their Premium gas versus Regular. In a Direct Injected engine like the Aviator you want to keep your injectors as clean as possible so you maintain a uniform spray pattern and a cleaner more efficient burn. This helps reduce carbon on your valves that no longer get cleaned by gasoline because the injector now puts fuel directly into the cylinder, hence the name Direct Injection. I high quality fuel injector cleaner is recommended periodically.
The new Ecoboost adds port injection as well, which sprays fuel onto the intake valves. Supposed to help keep them cleaner vs. just direct injection.

Jwildzza

Does your Aviator feel fully powered? It seems crazy that I'm getting over 20 and you are seeing 13.5. Could the reading be wrong? Have you checked it against the odometer?

Does your Aviator feel fully powered? It seems crazy that I'm getting over 20 and you are seeing 13.5. Could the reading be wrong? Have you checked it against the odometer?
I just reset them and I’m getting 17 MPG city now! That’s weird, not sure why it wouldn’t update as I kept driving. Anyway all is good now. Will hit the reset every time I fill up to see the differences between the different gas grades all over again.

7426[/ATTACH]53, member: 46504"]
I just reset them and I’m getting 17 MPG city now! That’s weird, not sure why it wouldn’t update as I kept driving. Anyway all is good now. Will hit the reset every time I fill up to see the differences between the different gas grades all over again.
Crazy I reset it and I’m back to 12 MPG!
Have to have it checked out.

Attachments

• E45AD3CF-5458-413C-9C1C-B1123E049265.jpeg
    E45AD3CF-5458-413C-9C1C-B1123E049265.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 7

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Curious how accurate the mpg thing is. I have never had a vehicle with that feature. Is it like my Expedition where it says 0 Miles To Empty and I can go another 15-20 if it has been mainly city driving?

Jwildzza

It seems to be more accurate than my last couple of Ford/Lincolns. I’m not willing to go far below 0 miles to empty to find out, but I had 9 miles til empty and it only took 19.6 gallons topped off. Still averaging 20+ mpg, so far so good!