• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Lincoln owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

recently replaced air suspension

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

billyslay01

Dec 10, 2021
Georgia
Hi all... I did read through the pinned post but didn't really see an answer so here goes.I have a 96 Signature w/ 81K miles. I bought Suncore air springs and solenoids plus rear shocks and had them installed yesterday by a mechanic that has done work for us for years. Picked the car up and it rode SOOOOO much better. (he showed me the passenger bag and it was completly dry rotted). Went out this morning and the ass of the car was on the ground. Turned it on and the compressor pumped it up and she's held air and height for a few hours now. When turning the car off yesterday i did notice that it immediately lowered an inch maybe when i got out. Literely saw it. It did not do that before. So my question is when i call the guy what do I tell him to look at? I don't like telling people thier business when I know little to nothing about what he does. Don't want to miff the guy. Just wondering if you have any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
My guess is that either the new air springs have a leak or the new solenoids were bad from the get-go. If I am correct, Suncore are Chinese made and may have been faulty from the beginning. Unfortunately the only air bag suspensions for the Town Car now available to buy new are cheap Chinese brands. I would explain to your mechanic "I don't know much about this, but this is what happened" and tell him the same info that you told us in your post.

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
The air system adjusting after you exit the car is not unusual. Some do it more than others. But you need to figure out if the car sitting on the ground happened slowly overnight or all at once. I'm guessing slowly, and if so my best guess would be a leak at the solenoid. Sometimes those are hard to seat. And as 04TC mentioned, it is always possible you got a defective solenoid. Just to be sure, after the car is aired up, turn off the switch in the trunk. If the car still sinks over time, then you have a leak. If it only leaks when the system is turned on, then something else is wrong and is venting the air out. Good luck.

Ballyhoo

Dec 1, 2018
Suncore is American made. As is Arnott, both companies offer topnotch, unequal products. The issue is most likely something simple that got overlooked so long as the compressor turns on and off airing the springs.

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
Suncore is American made. As is Arnott, both companies offer topnotch, unequal products. The issue is most likely something simple that got overlooked so long as the compressor turns on and off airing the springs.
That's not good on the compressor at all. He'll be replacing it soon if this continues.

Last edited:

Hound Dog

Jun 2, 2019
My guess is that either the new air springs have a leak or the new solenoids were bad from the get-go. If I am correct, Suncore are Chinese made and may have been faulty from the beginning. Unfortunately the only air bag suspensions for the Town Car now available to buy new are cheap Chinese brands. I would explain to your mechanic "I don't know much about this, but this is what happened" and tell him the same info that you told us in your post.
Or you could not believe the nonsense you read on internet forums and do some research. You will find that Arnott makes air springs for the Town Car. This is a Florida based company that uses rubber from Continental to manufacture the air springs. They are quite reputable and would be a suggested replacement that will likely outlive the car.

oktowncar

Jun 9, 2021
Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma
The air system adjusting after you exit the car is not unusual. Some do it more than others. But you need to figure out if the car sitting on the ground happened slowly overnight or all at once. I'm guessing slowly, and if so my best guess would be a leak at the solenoid. Sometimes those are hard to seat. And as 04TC mentioned, it is always possible you got a defective solenoid. Just to be sure, after the car is aired up, turn off the switch in the trunk. If the car still sinks over time, then you have a leak. If it only leaks when the system is turned on, then something else is wrong and is venting the air out. Good luck.

Every time I get out of my 98' the bags air down a little.
I can hear the release when I shut the door

Normal function

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
Hi all... I did read through the pinned post but didn't really see an answer so here goes.I have a 96 Signature w/ 81K miles. I bought Suncore air springs and solenoids plus rear shocks and had them installed yesterday by a mechanic that has done work for us for years. Picked the car up and it rode SOOOOO much better. (he showed me the passenger bag and it was completly dry rotted). Went out this morning and the ass of the car was on the ground. Turned it on and the compressor pumped it up and she's held air and height for a few hours now. When turning the car off yesterday i did notice that it immediately lowered an inch maybe when i got out. Literely saw it. It did not do that before. So my question is when i call the guy what do I tell him to look at? I don't like telling people thier business when I know little to nothing about what he does. Don't want to miff the guy. Just wondering if you have any suggestions. Many thanks in advance.
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be doing that with new bags, and it for sure shouldn't be on the ground if they were just replaced. Sounds like you have 1 of a common few things with these air ride equipped Lincolns.
1) bad o-rings on the solenoids or your mechanic didn't grease them upon installation.

2) a leaky or 2 leaky air bags, uncommon for newly purchased bags, but not out of the question.

3) your ride height sensor has malfunctioned

As for springs per your question, didn't change my ride much if at all, went with springs from Suncore and never looked back, too many things can go wrong with these air ride systems, from leaky bags, bad solenoids, compressor malfunctions, module crap outs, and the expense to fix all these, I'll take a set of 60 dollar springs over chasing air ride problems everyday, and as far as lasting the lifetime of the vehicle...look on the forums and tell me how many rear spring conversion problems there are versus air ride problems......

billyslay01

Dec 10, 2021
Georgia
I did as you suggested. And this morning it was on the ground with the switch off. I'm taking it back to him Monday and will suggest him look at the o rings and make sure the solenoids are seated good. Thanks

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Or you could not believe the nonsense you read on internet forums and do some research. You will find that Arnott makes air springs for the Town Car. This is a Florida based company that uses rubber from Continental to manufacture the air springs. They are quite reputable and would be a suggested replacement that will likely outlive the car.
I looked at the Rockauto site and you are correct. I was wrong about the Arnott springs. They are American made. Suncore appears to be American made as well