Recall re-inspection

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Tseg

I got a call and a letter from my Lincoln dealership that my Continental needed a “reinspection”. They said they would give me a free car wash. I brought it in and they told me my rear door opener buttons had the old defective model numbers. I’m at the dealership now. They said the job would take 1.5 hours. I knew they had issues with these switches, but was not aware they were now a recall item? Or are they just trying to drum up business?

I bought this used earlier this year, it is now out of warranty. Maybe the prior owner had the front door switches corrected? The dealership said the front switches were the new model in my 2017.

bbf2530

I got a call and a letter from my Lincoln dealership that my Continental needed a “reinspection”. They said they would give me a free car wash. I brought it in and they told me my rear door opener buttons had the old defective model numbers. I’m at the dealership now. They said the job would take 1.5 hours. I knew they had issues with these switches, but was not aware they were now a recall item? Or are they just trying to drum up business?

I bought this used earlier this year, it is now out of warranty. Maybe the prior owner had the front door switches corrected? The dealership said the front switches were the new model in my 2017.

Hi Tseg. Is your Continental still within a CPO warranty? Have you entered your VIN into the NHTSA recall website?

As jkeaton stated, ask the Service Department for more details. Is this a "recall" (people use that term too freely). If it is a "recall" then it would likely be free.

Or it could be a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). If it is a TSB (ask), then also ask if the TSB is performed free, or if there is a charge for it. Some TSB's are covered out of warranty. Many are not.

If your door openers work properly, but you have to pay for this work, then why not wait until they fail. They may never fail, in which case you saved yourself some money.

Essentially, ask them some questions.

Also, as far as the previous owner replacing the fronts but not the backs: My understanding is that when one is replaced, all four have to be replaced. But again, the only way to find that out is to ask the Service Department why only the fronts would have been replaced.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Tseg

They did the replacement and did not charge. I also asked for a tire rotation while there. No charge for that either. My 4 year warranty expired in September. I also believe this has a pre-owned certified warranty attached as this was originally a Lincoln corporate fleet vehicle. But that comes with a $100 deductible, I believe. Anyway, I have rear seat passengers once in a blue moon… now I can sleep easy they won’t get stuck. :)

dmorneau

Yes there was a recall on the door switches. It was one of those recalls that carries on even if the warranty is done.