• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Rear Suspension - Air Bag And Shocks - Separate or One?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Thanks for those instructions. I am now interviewing "local mechanics" not shop mechanics. I plan on buying the parts from RockAuto and having a moonlighting mechanic put them in. Oh lord, I hope I find a good one!
If you can't do the work yourself and aren't able or willing to pay the "going rate" per shop-hour, that's all you can do.

I'm fortunate in that the going rate per shop-hour isn't quite so ruinous for me when you get outside of "Chicagoland." I also can do my own work, though I haven't done so so far.

You will need to have some work done at a shop, such as suspension alignment.

Good luck getting your car all the way back to where you want it.

I have all the parts arriving Thursday - $260 - about half what the shops wanted. And, I have a "recommended" mechanic who is doing the work for $220! So, all up it's about $500 - half of the Pep Boys quote and 1/3 of the garage quote.

I figure the only reason to have a car like this is for that "luxury feel." So, I am probably spending too much money on it - more than is logical - but I love the car and want to have it "my way." I'm pretty darned old, so this is probably my last rodeo. Might as well do it right!

HTML