Rear shocks NIGHTMARE !!

Norms1stTC

Just got done changing rear shocks on my 02TC, just what in the living f#*k were those engineers thinking when they left the service people and the diy guys about 2 inches of room to get a rusted upper shock bolt off ???? Damn those guys !! What an absolute night mare for my fat fingers .

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hi, Norms1stTC and all.

It's a "little bit late for you," but for everyone else reading this, the top attaching nut for the rear shock absorbers is no joke. Or at least it's not a funny one.

The lack of room means that you have to use a ratcheting closed-end wrench to remove the nut, after letting it sit overnight with PBblaster or WD-40. Even then, you may still have to hold the lower part of the upper shock with a pair of vice-grips to keep the rod from spinning.

Of course, the sawzall or cutting wheel also work well if used with care.

Good luck.

Norms1stTC

Hi, Norms1stTC and all.

It's a "little bit late for you," but for everyone else reading this, the top attaching nut for the rear shock absorbers is no joke. Or at least it's not a funny one.

The lack of room means that you have to use a ratcheting closed-end wrench to remove the nut, after letting it sit overnight with PBblaster or WD-40. Even then, you may still have to hold the lower part of the upper shock with a pair of vice-grips to keep the rod from spinning.

Of course, the sawzall or cutting wheel also work well if used with care.

Good luck.
Yeah, thought about the cutting wheel, sawzall route...but to make things even more "fun", the engineers at Lincoln decided to put your brake lines right in there to block all that good easy fun..the only way possible to do it was to support the axle with a jack, take the bottom bolt and nut off and out of the cradle, cut the plastic sheathing on the upper part of the shock to expose the rod, and grind a flat spot for a wrench to fit on....next step is to get your closed end ratchet wrench in the space on the top nut on the shock and turn it while holding the bottom wrench, or in my case, use lower wrench while upper wrench is jammed ...either way, Lincoln rear shocks are a bitch and a half.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I have two ways to get the rear shocks off in panthers, 1, jack car up and use a rachet wrench, and 2 cut a hole above the shock and eithr ise a small impact or cut halfway through the bolt with a dremel and snap it off.
Hi, 1loudmkt.

While I don't think your "option 2" is "officially official," I wouldn't be surprised if it was. In the mid to late '70s Town Cars, they did exactly that with the rear window motors.

The motor was bolted to its cross-brace, and then welded into the door. There were three dimples stamped into the steel over the bolt locations. The first person to change a failed motor had to drill the access holes for the bolts (and the socket to remove the bolts) as part of the job.

That was one miserable job since a.) I didn't know about drilling the holes until mid-job, and b.) I had to get a friend to give me a ride to the tool store out in town to buy my first drill, since I wasn't putting the door back together without the new window motor being installed.

If you need to drill the holes, caplugs and sealant work there just as well as everywhere else.

Cheers.