Rear Seat Climate Control

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

MarkX

I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of this Forum for an explanation of how the Climate Control functions in the rear seat.

Yesterday for the first time, I traveled in the rear seat of my Reserve. It was about 90° outside and maybe more inside. I wasn't feeling much cooling effect from the small vents at the rear of the central console so I thought I would amp things up a bit by deploying the controls there. That didn't work. It showed this symbol
1623156307494.png
which I do not fully understand and no amount of button pressing or dial spinning in the back would change that. The owner's manual (extracted above) is clear enough on one level but does not provide any useful guidance (how unusual in an owner's manual) on how to unlock the rear climate controls (hereinafter "CCs"). Specifically, what is meant by "rear CCs are locked through the front CCs"? Or, just exactly what did I do to "lock" the rear CCs from the front CCs? The latter were just in their normal Auto mode as far as I can remember.

As these cars are meant to provide a satisfactory experience for the rear seat passengers, too, I would suspect that I am missing something here. Please set me straight.

Eurythmian66

On my Reserve, from the front seat I can lock out the rear controls. Go into the Climate Control menu on the main front center screen and tap "REAR". The screen will then change just showing the rear seat functions. I can then increase and decrease the fan speed as well as adjust the temp. There is also a lock function which is probably activated on your Conti.

MarkX

There is also a lock function which is probably activated on your Conti.
Yes, you are exactly right. But just to be clear, these more-comprehensive controls are under the Sync3 system on the touch screen which I had not been deploying. Silly me.

I had forgotten about access to those controls because I had never used them. Wouldn't it be nice for the Owner's Manual making some sort of reference to these controls in the Climate Controls section starting on page 143?

Eurythmian66

Yes... and it is in the manual starting on page 448. Rear Seat instructions on page 450.

MarkX

Touch climate control on the touch screen and it shows options for the rear seats: make sure it is unlocked; I leave mine at automatic which appears to be the same fan and temp setting as front passenger.
Yes, thanks, stupid of me not to go to the Sync3 screen. In my defense, my "default" screen is Android Auto whether plugged in to the USB port or WiFi. As long as I have my phone on me (always), the screen is AA unless I shut it down. Therefore, I had forgotten the joys of Sync3.