Rear gate lock

edwardt6

Want to add a bicycle rack to my MKT but I don't feel safe with the ease the gate can open with touch of button. I'm sure it would do a lot of damage . Can the gate be disabled??

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
The tailgate reverses direction if it hits something. It doesn't take much for that to happen. A simple rubber or sponge taped to the bike rack at the spot the lip would hit will ease your mind.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Want to add a bicycle rack to my MKT but I don't feel safe with the ease the gate can open with touch of button. I'm sure it would do a lot of damage . Can the gate be disabled??
Yes. From left side of the steering wheel controls under Settings.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I think if you disable it from the left screen, it can still be opened with the button next to the steering wheel but not from outside. I am not sure about this part though but will confirm the next time I mess with it or if someone else has the time to check this.

I found this weird but it was still working with the button inside just disabled the key and outside trunk button near the license plate.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
In my 2015, if I disable the Power Liftgate from Settings, here's what that does:

Inside Button - works normally
Key fob button - works normally
Button near license plate - unlocks the liftgate but doesnt open. I can open manually with my hands.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
In my 2015, if I disable the Power Liftgate from Settings, here's what that does:

Inside Button - works normally
Key fob button - works normally
Button near license plate - unlocks the liftgate but doesnt open. I can open manually with my hands.
Thanks. This is maybe exactly what it does. The problem again would be that OP was worried about. Both the places that can accidentally be pressed are still working normally even after you disable the trunk from the menu. I wish it was a universal setting.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I have had my liftgate open against a garage wall my error. It did create a small shred (tailgate it a different material than rest of the car) and lost a bit of paint on the pointy edge but I was able to touch up the paint and its not super noticeable.

vinaygoel2000

Houston
Thanks. This is maybe exactly what it does. The problem again would be that OP was worried about. Both the places that can accidentally be pressed are still working normally even after you disable the trunk from the menu. I wish it was a universal setting.
Agreed. I wish the disable setting would disable all 3 buttons and simply unlock the liftgate but not open it. Then a person can manually open it.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Agreed. I wish the disable setting would disable all 3 buttons and simply unlock the liftgate but not open it. Then a person can manually open it.
But that's "logical". Folks at Lincoln were not thinking logical at all when they were coming up with the MKT and flex on many aspects either ways its still a heart purchase on the these cars.

Why would seat heat and cool settings never resume.. why does the sunroof not auto-close completely.. why does a 207 inch long vehicle not bother to have front sensors even for an option... no one will ever know :D

HTML