Rattling issue from rear right side

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Dikshant

Hello guys. I have a 2019 Continental Livery in NYC. It has clocked 93k miles. Recently I have started hearing a rattling sound from the rear right side of the car. I am attaching a picture from where I believe the sound is coming from.
Please advice how to rectify this issue if anyone of you have experienced the same.

Thankyou.

Attachments

• 2F04B371-0D41-4F19-9277-B3FB094F5568.jpeg
    2F04B371-0D41-4F19-9277-B3FB094F5568.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 10

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
I am guessing you will be leading the pack for discovery of wear and tear issue. You might start by telling us what that part is. . . Maybe lift up the part and use silicon grease to quiet the rubbing plastic.

Dikshant

I am guessing you will be leading the pack for discovery of wear and tear issue. You might start by telling us what that part is. . . Maybe lift up the part and use silicon grease to quiet the rubbing plastic.
I went on a lot of test runs on empty highways to figure out from which panel is that rattle coming from but couldn’t tell with surety. One thing I’ll add is that this rattling starts after reaching 45-50 mph on highways or if the road has bumps. I have recorded it in a video clip but I am not able to post video file here. This rattle is annoying as I use this car for Chauffeuring and most of the time my cars is driven on highways.
If there’s any WhatsApp group for us Lincoln owners, I would like to join that and can upload the clip there.

Al L

Hello guys. I have a 2019 Continental Livery in NYC. It has clocked 93k miles. Recently I have started hearing a rattling sound from the rear right side of the car. I am attaching a picture from where I believe the sound is coming from.
Please advice how to rectify this issue if anyone of you have experienced the same.

Thankyou.
Could it be perhaps in the spare wheel well storage area? Out of sight!

Dikshant

Look under the car on that side....directly below your picture. There is a plastic piece under there that can rattle and sound like it is inside the car.
You are right. It was that plastic cover and I took it off. Now it drives like brand new !
Attaching a picture of that cover.

Attachments

• 20E94270-7E13-4C2C-B7B3-9A72CEDA12E1.jpeg
    20E94270-7E13-4C2C-B7B3-9A72CEDA12E1.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 5

Tseg

So you took off the cover and the rattle went away. That is great, but the cover must have been there in the first place for some reason. I would explore re-attaching the cover but include damping methods to make the rattle go away. Maybe that cover prevents rust? Dissipates heat? Or maybe just there for aerodynamics / improved fuel economy? I can't imagine an OEM adding a plastic cover that no one can see for no reason. Is the purpose of this shield obvious?

With that said, my 2012 Jeep Rubicon had a heat shield over the gas tank and the connection points corroded away causing the shield to rattle loudly on top of the gas tank. All the forums said just remove the shield, which I did 3-4 years ago. I've not heard of an incident from the shield being removed yet.

MarkX

With that said, my 2012 Jeep Rubicon had a heat shield over the gas tank and the connection points corroded away causing the shield to rattle loudly on top of the gas tank. All the forums said just remove the shield, which I did 3-4 years ago. I've not heard of an incident from the shield being removed yet.
Some under-body shields protect vulnerable parts from being damaged in other ways, such as rocks. I would agree with you, Tseg, that it should be restored at some point, like the next time a dealer has it on a lift.