Rain sensor wiper motor.

Tainpe

New Jersey
Hello,
I recently bought a 2003 Town Car Cartier edition and the wipers are not working. I believe the motor is a rain-sensing motor as I have the sensor behind the rearview mirror. However, I am having a hard time finding the part number for the motor and where to find one. The ones I do find are stupid expensive. way above the normal wiper motor cost. is there a way to keep my rain-sensing wipers without the corresponding motor?

Hello,
I recently bought a 2003 Town Car Cartier edition and the wipers are not working. I believe the motor is a rain-sensing motor as I have the sensor behind the rearview mirror. However, I am having a hard time finding the part number for the motor and where to find one. The ones I do find are stupid expensive. way above the normal wiper motor cost. is there a way to keep my rain-sensing wipers without the corresponding motor?
150 bucks at Rock Auto.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Hello,
Hi, Tainpe.

Just a comment. People typically buy a luxury car like the Lincoln Town Car because of the "bells and whistles," something the Town Car was occasionally shorted on when compared to other Lincolns of the same year.

The "rain sensing" wiper motor is roughly double the price of a non-rain-sensing one. However, this "toy" does have almost double the utility, since you can drive merrily along and the car turns the wipers on for you.

My advice for what it's worth is to make sure the motor itself is the problem, and replace it with the like item. Then, enjoy that you don't have to be bothered by such mundane tasks as turning on the wipers when it rains.

Good luck.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Can I swap the mb off the old motor and put it on the new motor?
Hi, Tainpe.

Maybe. But, if you have to ask, you might not be comfortable in trying it. The time of a mechanic is worth something, even if it is you yourself. While a few readers to this forum may have tried to repair a rain-sensing wiper motor assembly using parts from a non-sensing unit, this isn't always the case. And if they succeeded, their success was hard-won through experience.

Try this. Replace the motor with a "new" one as above. Then, tear apart the old one and try to get it working. If you do get it working, great! You now have an "on the shelf" spare in case the motor goes bad again. If you don't get it working, only your time is "lost," you've still learned more about how your car works, and the wipers still turn themselves on when it rains.

Good luck.

Tainpe

New Jersey
Hi, Tainpe.

Maybe. But, if you have to ask, you might not be comfortable in trying it. The time of a mechanic is worth something, even if it is you yourself. While a few readers to this forum may have tried to repair a rain-sensing wiper motor assembly using parts from a non-sensing unit, this isn't always the case. And if they succeeded, their success was hard-won through experience.

Try this. Replace the motor with a "new" one as above. Then, tear apart the old one and try to get it working. If you do get it working, great! You now have an "on the shelf" spare in case the motor goes bad again. If you don't get it working, only your time is "lost," you've still learned more about how your car works, and the wipers still turn themselves on when it rains.

Good luck.
Taking the mb off was very easy. I just want to know if they connect the same way as a non rain sensing. Since it seems to be 3 pins that connect the mb to the motor itself and the only thing that holds the mb on is the clips along the side of the plastic housing. I know it’s the motor as when I set it to full power and push the wipers the motor will start moving them a little. Also when I took the windshield arms off the motor was able to spin the transmission for them.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
I’m also not the common age of most people who own a Lincoln town car. Being in my late teens and having all the time in the world because of COVID. I have a secound car to drive around. So I can take all the time I want tinkering with stuff like this.
Hi, Tainpe.

I suppose you've already "answered" your own question indirectly.

The "bare motor" isn't typically sold by itself, since the transmission gears and any "control junk" in the motor assembly is more likely to fail. If you get a good "bare motor," you might be able to get it into the transmission base and working. I can't say for sure, since I haven't had to do that.

So, get a "good" wiper motor assembly from the junk yard. It can come from a Town Car, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vic. Remove the bare motor from the transmission base and install it in yours. It "should" work. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Good luck.

Houston
Good job Tainpe!

It would be an awesome if you would do a write up of what you did for future reference. Pictures if you have them. I could see this being a stickie.

No pressure if you don't want to do it.

Tainpe

New Jersey
For those who do not want to pay the 150 dollars plus for a new rain sense motor.
Step 1: Make sure that the motor is the problem, not the stalk or the wiring harness that is feeding the wiper motor.
(I figured this out as I could hear a click from the motor and everything else besides the wipers on the stalk).
Step 2: Removing the wiper arms.
There is 1 nut (believe 12mm) on each wiper arm. remove the bolt almost all the way leaving a couple turns on the nut. Wiggle the arm up and down until it comes loose from the splines. remove the bolt completely and pull the arms off.
Step 3: Removing the cowl.
there are 3 plastic screws. 2 in each corner and 1 near the middle of the passenger side. take the 4 clips off the cowl and remove the cowl. there are 4 clips holding on the driver side piece.
Step 4: Removing the Wiper transmission.
on the driver side, there will be a bolt and a nut that needs to be removed. on the passenger side of the transmission, there is another nut and bolt that needs to be removed. near the middle under the windshield, there is a nut that needs to be removed as well. once all the bolts and nuts are removed. should be 5 in total. Pull up on the transmission and lift it up to expose the motor. unclip the wiring harness. make sure that the white plastic stays in the harness connector.
Step 5: Removing the motor.
there is 1 bolt that holds the arm to the wiper transmission. remove the bolt and pry it off with a small pry bar or a screwdriver. Three bolts on the motor to the transmission. Remove them and the wiper motor is now free.
Step 6: removing the control module.
there are 4-5 clips around the module the just need to be gently pried up releasing the computer of the motor itself.
Step 7: Find a new or used motor and swap the control board.
Step 8: Complete in reverse to assemble.

Last edited:

Tainpe

New Jersey
That is great info. I love my rain sense wipers and had no of idea the additional expense if it dies. So I hope mine doesn't die. But if it does, I'll know what to do!
Oh the hard part is finding the rain sensor. As they are not made new and would need to be sourced off a part vehicle. Which are very few as only 03 had rain sense.

Tainpe

New Jersey
Excellent info Tainpe, thank you so much!

Surprised to hear that 2003 was the only year Lincoln offered this nifty feature. Definitely makes me want to hang on to mine, because I love it!

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My 2003 Cartier
I might be wrong with the 03 as I see a lot of conflicting information on what model years have it. but I did notice when I was researching my Cartier it was the only year I saw that had rain sense in the specs.

HTML