Lincoln Forums Navigation:

Quick fuel line question on my 99 continental

99continental

After getting it out of the garage this summer i noticed that when the front tire went flat someone put the jack directly under the fuel supply line and lifted the car. Needless to say the line is trashed, kinked off in 2 places.

So here is my question, I see surface rust on almost everything under this car EXCEPT the fuel lines, are they aluminum or stainless? I only ask this because every other car i have ever had eventually got some rust on the fuel lines, this however is pristine.

Why am i asking? I'm going to cut out the bad section flair and union in a new piece but if the material is going to fight with regular fuel line ill have to pick up something else.

Thanks in advance

flaokie

My bet would be the factory fuel line is steel tubing.
The lack of rusting could indicate that the fuel line has already been replaced.
I don’t recall ever seeing aluminum used for fuel or brake lines.
Put a magnet on it – if it sticks the tube is steel.
Otherwise it’s stainless (or aluminum).

99continental

After a magnet check with 3 different magnets (one not pictured) I'm still not sure what material it is. From the pictures attached 2 magnets stick to the body of the vehicle. When placed on the line only the broken piece of refrigerator gasket magnet sticks. This makes me think that it must be stainless with some impurities because magnets wont stick to aluminum .

If i decide this is stainless, I found a shop in Shelby Twp., MI that makes stainless lines to order from factory specs called Inline tube. I thought this would be pretty cool but I'll be getting just a 2 foot section with one end flared and a couple stainless unions from them to make this go together again.

20180705_125000.jpg 20180705_125128.jpg

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML